Hide
11 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Survivor Management rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gough
msg tools
I'm confused by how I should manage my survivors.

Am I supposed to only have 4 named survivors, with character cards, on the go at any one time and, only if one should die, should I create (name and fill in a character sheet for) a new one

OR

am I supposed to name every member of my settlement population upfront and create character sheets for all of them as they are encountered/born etc?

Linked to this, if the answer is the former, can I still nominate unnamed survivors to take actions during the Settlement phase (so for example, can only 2 out of my four survivors be nominated for intimacy or can members of the total population be nominated?

Thanks all

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understood it, you can use any survivors for the actions.

Considering better clarity, possible gains and losses (for example additional Strength or Survival gains), I find it more useful and atmospheric to name all unknown people immediately.

You can make simple name list like...

Ioann, M, 1 xp, 3 surv, 2 und, father of Lucia
Paraskeva, F, 1 surv, mother of Lucia
Lucia, F, 1 surv, 1 und, daughter of Ioann and Paraskeva
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathon pendleton
msg tools
I add new survivors to settlement sheet. Have 7 survivor sheets, that will erase when they die.

Depending on the wording of the event i'll pick random survivors from the population and write in notes next to there name if any results add orr take away,if they dont have there own sheet that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Landphair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You technically do not need to name anyone that you haven't taken out on a hunt yet but you should have a sheet for them. Some things give understanding or permanent attributes to new survivors (example= survival of the fittest-all new survivors from intimacy gain +1 permanent strength). They should get that immediately or it starts to become a nightmare of record keeping and just trying to remember every little detail for each unnamed character. all survivors can be nominated to do something at the settlement phase unless otherwise stated by some hunt or settlement event (or if they are dead/exiled).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
ObviousPlayer wrote:
Am I supposed to only have 4 named survivors, with character cards, on the go at any one time [or]...am I supposed to name every member of my settlement population upfront and create character sheets for all of them...?

I take a middle path. I don't make a character sheet for a survivor until I take her out on a hunt. I do name them as they're born, and track their variables (survival, insanity, stats) on the settlement record sheet.

Unless an event specifies otherwise, any survivor can be nominated, character sheet or no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We make their sheet as soon as they're necessary (i.e. they do something), otherwise we do stuff like "cod, axe 2" as shorthand (clan of death, 2 proficiency) in the notes section and give them a name/card when they come out, since everyone likes creating characters so we don't want to front-load that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first post ever on BGG. I made this account almost exclusively to discuss KD:M. I am really on the fence of buying this game or not. It sounds very very down my alley and damn near perfect. Its just $400 is a hard pill to swallow.

I am glad someone asked this question on the survivor management as that is a question plaguing me as well. To get this straight; there is no real guidance in the book on whether you should make a character sheet for every single survivor or not?

My OCD would force me to make a sheet for everyone but I could see that getting out of hand quickly and wasting a lot of the sheets that ship with the game. Can you tell enough from the settlement population tracking piece? How do you reflect dead ones on the settlement population sheet? Just erase? Run a red marker through the name?

What about survivors who have sheets and they retire or what have you? Do you just throw their sheets away?

How many of you have plastic sleeves for the sheets? I am debating doing that for sake of re-usability. I want to try and be environmentally friendly after years of wasting myriad Battletech sheets.

Thank you everyone for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

FWIW, this is what I am using in my home games (for the most part). I update the sheet when they are born and add in abilities they gain. When they depart on a hunt, I name them and no longer update this sheet and only update their character sheet.

I tried laminating 4 of them and using wet erase markers, but it just became a big hassle and made a mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:

I am glad someone asked this question on the survivor management as that is a question plaguing me as well. To get this straight; there is no real guidance in the book on whether you should make a character sheet for every single survivor or not?

Developer has answered this question, you can use "unnamed population" for the actions like Intimacy. Personally I like to name everyone and I have them on the list to be sure of their fates. Settlement roster has enough place to make points like "Johann, M, 2 surv, 1 und, 1 cou, Broken Jaw".

Epidemius wrote:

My OCD would force me to make a sheet for everyone but I could see that getting out of hand quickly and wasting a lot of the sheets that ship with the game. Can you tell enough from the settlement population tracking piece? How do you reflect dead ones on the settlement population sheet? Just erase? Run a red marker through the name?

I strike their names in Settlement roster and note their fate on my personal Log list. Settlement roster has enough place to accomodate dead people as well. You mark dead ones on the roster as well, on the front side.

Epidemius wrote:

What about survivors who have sheets and they retire or what have you? Do you just throw their sheets away?

I do not, they are living in the settlment and can participate in the events. They just do not hunt.

Epidemius wrote:

How many of you have plastic sleeves for the sheets? I am debating doing that for sake of re-usability. I want to try and be environmentally friendly after years of wasting myriad Battletech sheets.

I use settlement rosters from the KDM box and I use my own Character rosters for those who go to die... I mean to hunt.
You will run out of Character rosters very fast if you write every survivor on it.

Edit: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric LAURENT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevensonJunior wrote:

You will run out of Character rosters very fast if you write every survivor on it.

I created specific sheets, the same size as cards, to write down the armor, survival and brain values of my survivors. You just have to place the card in a card sleeve, place it over your character sheet and use a white board pen so you can erase the values after each showdown.

You just have to write survival and brain values on your character sheet when you stop playing. You don't waste character sheets anymore.

I just uploaded the file in the file section (KD SHEET SMALL). It should appear as soon as it is approved bu BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I used some of the survivor sheets in the downloads section. I printed out 12 survivor sheets and laminated them. I use wet erase markers on things like their name and stats and other things that might be almost permanent. I use dry erase on armor and insanity values.

For my survivor population in general, i made a simple grid in word with values for name (which i don't fill in unless i want to take them on a hunt, so that they get an extra survival point, as the survival cap may have raised since they were born.), values for survival and courage and understanding and stats and a general notes section. I fill the last one in with whatever may happen to them if i nominate them (dismembered limb, blind, disorder, fighting art, etc...).

I have that laminated and use the wet erase marker on it, usually just making tally marks in place of numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.