Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Williams
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never ever fight.

First time playing last night, with me as Dracula. I decided to jump on the Doctor and fight him at dawn on the first Saturday. Big mistake. He had a knife, a rifle, and holy bullets and just destroyed me.

And then, of course, I wasn't able to move away before dusk so he got to fight me again. Dracula dead in two combats with one hunter.

So... lesson learned. Dracula isn't a bad-ass predator. Even from the very beginning of the game he needs to run and hide.

I'm very much looking forward to playing again, but I'm somewhat disappointed that the Dracula character isn't at all scary to the hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I fought one of the hunters as Dracula when they stumbled onto me at night. I dropped him to half health before deciding to escape.

It's definitely even worse if you're ever outnumbered...but I felt as though I was able to do an okay amount of damage 1 on 1 at nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula SHOULD fight, but usually only against Mina. Mina is really dangerous to Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond He
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Raging Bull
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on whether or not you are using the power cards (Hide, Feed, Dark Call). I played once without them and Dracula isn't all that scary.

If the hunters can coordinate well then it will be a long night for Dracula . Stick and move would be my go to strategy with Dracula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been somewhat struck that against a good hunter team, Dracula is a bit of a wet blanket. He basically needs to run and hide all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had just the opposite happen. Dracula was able to do substantial damage to a single hunter especially at night, then escape before being brought down.

In our first game Dracula was defeated, but he was facing three hunters at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting at dawn was definitely extremely bad. I think Drac could have done better if the fight was at dusk, with the hunter stumbling on to him.

We wanted to see what combat was like, so I intentionally engaged one hunter just to see what would happen. If I had decided to keep running (they weren't even on my trail) I expect the game would have gone on a lot longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy K
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
intently wrote:
Never ever fight.

First time playing last night, with me as Dracula. I decided to jump on the Doctor and fight him at dawn on the first Saturday. Big mistake. He had a knife, a rifle, and holy bullets and just destroyed me.

And then, of course, I wasn't able to move away before dusk so he got to fight me again. Dracula dead in two combats with one hunter.

So... lesson learned. Dracula isn't a bad-ass predator. Even from the very beginning of the game he needs to run and hide.

I'm very much looking forward to playing again, but I'm somewhat disappointed that the Dracula character isn't at all scary to the hunters.

You need to plan better. NEVER fight the Hunters at dawn, you run the risk of being ganged up on withint the next turn, and the most damage Dracula can do during the day is 8(2per fang, 2 per claw), which is nit enough to kill ANYONE. Bites do not happen during the day.

In my game I have wolves and mob laying down to damage their health and card, and to get an idea what kind of weapon they have.

Then, In my game I stayed in a port, putting down fog and a vampire using hide, with bats on an ajecent town.
As soon as the weaker hunter moves into the town with bats, I ambush him, during the next day I move him into the place I am at, ambush him with both fog AND vampire.
The fog would stay two days in a port, and cause him to not able to supply during the coming night if he survives.
The rest of the hunters can only stare hopelessly outside the town cause they can't get in.
Once the hunter is dead after three fights (a vampire fight, a night fight, and a dawn fight) and fog lifts during the next dusk, I simply jumped into sea.

Using the Wild Horse event would be even better than bat, but you won't get it all the time.

It takes a lot of planning, but that was exhilarating.

By the way, killing a hunter during the first week only nets you 2 influence, which is a BAD bargain, doing so in third week nets you 4, and with bitin it becomes 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this two times as Dracula (only me and the wife, she was all the hunters) and in the first, I faced 2 combats (one with Mina and one with Van Helsing) and I could bite Nine and pushed Van Helsing away. I won that game by reaching week 3 with 8 influence points already.

Then, in the second game (right after the first) I was destroyed in one single combat. She was EXTREMELY lucky when she got an event on the second day where she asked me about two cities and she got exactly the city I was in. I had to jump to the ocean, suffered 5 damage until landing again and early in the third week she found me. During the fight, I couldn't use escape as a bat before round 4, and in the first two rounds she canceled my mesmerize with Heavenly Host and Crucifix and dealt 7 damage. Then I used "Fangs" to try to recover health and she knifed me in and I died.

So, yeah, Dracula can suffer a lot in combat, but it can also deal a lot of damage. It is all a matter of right cards I guess. And a lot of planning, as Andy K have shown us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myles Mulroy
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he can mature one or both Szgany Bodyguards, Dracula becomes an absolute combat demon one-on-one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bycoolboy823 wrote:
intently wrote:
Never ever fight.

You need to plan better. NEVER fight the Hunters at dawn, you run the risk of being ganged up on withint the next turn, and the most damage Dracula can do during the day is 8(2per fang, 2 per claw), which is nit enough to kill ANYONE. Bites do not happen during the day.

In my game I have wolves and mob laying down to damage their health and card, and to get an idea what kind of weapon they have.

Then, In my game I stayed in a port, putting down fog and a vampire using hide, with bats on an ajecent town.
As soon as the weaker hunter moves into the town with bats, I ambush him, during the next day I move him into the place I am at, ambush him with both fog AND vampire.
The fog would stay two days in a port, and cause him to not able to supply during the coming night if he survives.
The rest of the hunters can only stare hopelessly outside the town cause they can't get in.
Once the hunter is dead after three fights (a vampire fight, a night fight, and a dawn fight) and fog lifts during the next dusk, I simply jumped into sea.

Using the Wild Horse event would be even better than bat, but you won't get it all the time.

It takes a lot of planning, but that was exhilarating.

By the way, killing a hunter during the first week only nets you 2 influence, which is a BAD bargain, doing so in third week nets you 4, and with bitin it becomes 5.

Wow, awesome planning. It inspires me to use Dracula's powers with a lot more synergy. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan van der Merwe
msg tools
Fully agree that Dracula is a wuss. Don't fight. Run, and pray that the hunters don't stumble onto your trail or force you to reveal where you are through one of their many event cards or abilities. This game is totally stacked against Dracula. (See my thread "The Feebleness of Dracula" for my own bad experiences in this regard...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.