John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

I've always had my eye on this one - just curious if I could get some thoughts on how you are liking this, if anything has replaced it for you, and what the game length ends up being after a few plays (With 2 if possible)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game! In fact, this game is one of those we can always bring out, and everyone wants to play it.

Game play tends to be about 20-30 minutes per player (when playing 3 ages).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't been able to get it to the table yet shake. I tried at first but I pretty much gave up on it happening at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
I love this game! In fact, this game is one of those we can always bring out, and everyone wants to play it.

Game play tends to be about 20-30 minutes per player (when playing 3 ages).

Awesome! Thank you!

danlicata wrote:
Haven't been able to get it to the table yet shake. I tried at first but I pretty much gave up on it happening at this point.

Why is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:

danlicata wrote:

Why is that?

Just no interest when I've tried to bring it out. I'd like to give it a try but it can be difficult with the people I game with to bring out new games.

Now I have so many more I've since bought I do have interest in playing it but I have interest in playing a lot of my games that don't get much play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, have you watched Rahdo's run-through?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
John, have you watched Rahdo's run-through?

I have indeed! It looks very interesting, I'm just still on the fence about it.

I usually purchase whatever Rahdo recommends, since we both mainly play with 2 and prefer non-aggressive games. But My closet is very, very full, so I need to be a bit more selective there days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought some games back over the holiday vacation, and my game group asked about that. I mentioned I also have a civ building game which is similar in theme to 7 Wonders, takes about 2 hours with teaching. They sounded interested. Another game was already set up, ready to be played, but I did punch out some components in the midst of that game, and another person said he'd definitely like to try that in a future game night. That's kind of encouraging. The fact that this game is quite straightforward (similar to 7W) should help.

It'll be long time before I can provide long term results, but I can at least say in a shorter time period if it'll get repeat plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still occasionally play this with new people, but I find that people tire of it very quickly.

The main issue is that whomever gets the most cards that grant extra actions has a huge advantage, though they don't always win. Even if it's a duplicate, the player will hold onto the duplicate until the age ends. It's worth it to keep other players behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karat wrote:
I still occasionally play this with new people, but I find that people tire of it very quickly.

The main issue is that whomever gets the most cards that grant extra actions has a huge advantage, though they don't always win. Even if it's a duplicate, the player will hold onto the duplicate until the age ends. It's worth it to keep other players behind.
Have you tried the Quick Start rules in the rulebook where everyone starts off with 3 actions? If so, did that help any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
karat wrote:

Have you tried the Quick Start rules in the rulebook where everyone starts off with 3 actions? If so, did that help any?

I have tried it, and it makes the game somewhat shorter.

As for Edwin's assessment ... I'm not entirely sure I agree. Hoarding cards just to keep them away from other people is not a winning strategy. If there's a card you don't want them to get, discard it for general knowledge and then use the shuffle-and-draw action.

If you are the one looking to increase your number of actions, focus on cards that allow you to draw more efficiently. Upgrade other abilities to maximize your overall efficiency.

Yes, having extra actions helps. But it is by no means the absolute key to a winning strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
karat wrote:

I have tried it, and it makes the game somewhat shorter.

As for Edwin's assessment ... I'm not entirely sure I agree. Hoarding cards just to keep them away from other people is not a winning strategy. If there's a card you don't want them to get, discard it for general knowledge and then use the shuffle-and-draw action.

If you are the one looking to increase your number of actions, focus on cards that allow you to draw more efficiently. Upgrade other abilities to maximize your overall efficiency.

Yes, having extra actions helps. But it is by no means the absolute key to a winning strategy.

It's very rare that I ever play all of my cards, so it isn't hard to hold onto one of them as long as possible. Plus, using shuffle-and-draw is yet another way to accomplish the same thing -- proving my point that it's easy to shut one of the other players out.

Drawing cards isn't that great when you don't have a large hand limit, and it's one action every single turn, which is more of your turn if you have fewer actions.

Getting lucky in drawing the cards that give extra actions isn't a guarantee of victory, but it will lead to you doing better on average. It's been enough of an effect to make people tired of playing the game, particularly when one person is at 5 and another is at 3.

I guess part of the problem is that other skills really need two to advance to shine (research slots and research time, drawing cards and hand size, etc.), while number of actions really only needs one track to advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not hard to hold onto cards, no. But a card you merely hold on to is a useless card. It takes up space in your hand, and it does not provide general knowledge.

If the action economy is a problem in your group, may I suggest this variant:

Everyone starts with 3 actions.
When Age III begins, everyone gains a 4th action.
When Age IV begins, everyone gains a 5th action.

Cards which would allow you to move up on the action track instead give +1 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McFarlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only every played this 2 player and I love it. This is one of my favorite games to play, both with one of my friends I game with and my wife.

It's hard to speak on the length, as we always take a long time to play games. We pause a lot to talk or do other things, but the game is not too long.

It can start to feel longer when you add in the Age 4 expansion, but I like the game enough, that I cannot wait for Age 5, Age 6 and more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.