Bill McKinley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking around for a good simulation of the Battle of Jutland. I vaguely recall seeing the AH version of Jutland in progress at a gaming club in the early 1980s -- huge tables, long lines of ships, and six months to finish.

I also see that Avalanche Press has just issued its own game about the subject.

Would someone who is familiar with both games be able to give me recommendation and tell me some of the good and bad points of both games please?

Thanks
Sir Harrok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the Avalanche Press version, but I played the AH version many times with my brother. While it took awhile to play, it was not as long as you might think. 4 hours on the average. And it was a pretty good miniatures-esque game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
I haven't played the Avalanche Press version, but I played the AH version many times with my brother. While it took awhile to play, it was not as long as you might think. 4 hours on the average. And it was a pretty good miniatures-esque game.

Yeah, I was going to say, I own the AH Jutland and played it numerous times and it took maybe an afternoon (4-5 hours) if you played out the entire operation. If you just decide to play a tactical battle, that can be over in an hour or less. This is a great game, just make sure to have a big table, or some open floor space for the battles. I know little about the Avalanche version, other than that the counters look nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The AH is more procedurally complex at both the operational and tactical levels; the Avalanche game has many North Sea scenarios besides Jutland itself.

Command magazine (XTR) did a Ben Knight Jutland game that many people like; you can look it up here, though it's long out of print and will be harder to find. You might also look at Line of Battle (SimCan, Omega Games), which includes a number of Jutland scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...well, The Avalanche game has many more pieces. There were extra variants for AH Jutland, but there all OOP and hard to track down now.

The Avalanche game makes playing Campaign easy and the strategic game is handled well - as it is in Jutland.

The tactical game (battle) is much better with Jutland, though the hit boxes are more precise and detailed with Avalanche.

I have heard of attempts to graft the AH battle system onto the Avalanche game and someone on a Forum I frequent has tried to do it.

BTW, I have only the precursor to Avalanche's Jutland - North Sea.

The main differences between the two Avalanche games are extra pieces (not that many, but maybe enough) and new scens in the newer game.

Watch out for a forthcoming Forward Observer on "Naval Warfare in the Big Gun Era." We are working on it as we type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill McKinley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for your help!

Cheers
Sir Harrok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17270
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.