GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,488 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Descent: The Well of Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wind Pact rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind pact states that you can move through pit obstacles as if they weren't there. One of my players tried to argue that he was immune to pit trap cards!

We decided that technically, this doesn't work, as he's not "moving" in the strictest sense of the word; the trap is opening under him.

The same thing came up when the giant used knockback to toss him into a pit. "But I'm immune to pits!" Tough luck, I say!

I'm saying that Wind Pact allows you, on your turn, to move through and over pits without falling into them. Should it be applied to other situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
He's definitely immune to being knocked back into a pit.
As far as spiked pit traps, it's more ambiguous, but I'd side with the player on this one. The ability is cooler that way, and it's not like you can't just hit someone else with the pit, or discard it for threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id disagree. He is not moving through the pit obstacle when the card is played on him (as he is already in the square) and accordingly goes down the pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wind Pact does not render you immune to being knocked back into a bit, nor to pit trap cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB Hunt
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I normally play OL with my group, I've got to side with the Overlord.

I read "moving" as "moving under the hero's own volition". If the OL is forcing the move via knockback or pit trap, then the wind pact is null.

Also if players can evade traps and monster special abilities with wind pact, the arguement could be made that earth pact allows heroes to avoid rubble traps.

Death to the heroes! sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With windpact you can't stand on pits, so you fall into them. You just have a cheaper and more potent jump ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Abad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am inclined to think the same (since I'm the OL), but it would be nice if we had something more accurate to hold on to. With what the card says it is not enough for my friend. She still thinks her hero is immune to pits, no matter if they appear from underneath her feet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volodioso wrote:
I am inclined to think the same (since I'm the OL), but it would be nice if we had something more accurate to hold on to. With what the card says it is not enough for my friend. She still thinks her hero is immune to pits, no matter if they appear from underneath her feet.

What we have is in fact very precise and accurate. The fault usually lies in the readers, and paraphrasing (2nd language players have some excuse here).

Wind Pact wrote:
You may move through pit obstacles without effect. ...

Spiked Pit wrote:
Play this card when a hero moves into an empty space. Place a one space pit token on that space. Unless the hero rolls a blank on one power die, he falls into the pit and suffers 2 wounds (ignoring armor). If the hero rolls a blank, the hero immediately moves to an adjacent space of his choice.

Although the card tells you to place a pit token (pit obstacle) in place, the damage is caused by the card itself, not by the pit obstacle (clue - it is different from when you fall into a pit obstacle normally). You are not suffering from moving through the pit obstacle, so Wind Pact does not provide you with immunity.
Once the card is finished resolving, the hero will be left in a space with a pit obstacle and can then ignore it when it moves out, not paying the extra MP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Abad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Once again, thank you, Corbon. You're right in what you said. We tend to interpret things the way they suit our interests best, sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.