Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Putting this one out a bit early to get the word out about our fake PPV Saturday. Enjoy!)

Straight from the CB Radio craze of the 1970's comes 10-Four, Good Buddy...the first, and probably only game, about truckers using CB Radios! Get in your big rig and hammer down as you flee from smokies while racing to be the first to complete your route! Read fun and nigh-incomprehensible trucker speak with the help of the included dictionary of CB lingo! Does this game broadcast loud and proud, or is it all static? Hit the road with us to find out!

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2015/12/episode-84-10-four...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what's the difference between Ham and CB radio, since you mentioned both in the episode... *checks* - Ah, better power/band for Ham, since it's got some licensing while CB doesn't.

So... Trucker Lingo has the same purpose as Cockney Rhyming Slang, or Polari, then?

And a gumball machine is a component in the Twilight Zone pinball table, obviously.

I like the idea of Trucker Lingo Balderdash, and suspect it would work with any of the deliberate slang languages. While the more in depth version would work for generic stuff, yes.

Great episode, all told.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hey Stephen,

CB is short for "citizen band." It had some restrictions on the amount of power you push out during transmission but there were no limitations on the people allowed to use it. CB also has a very short range.

Ham on the other hand was (still is) a highly regulated band of radio frequencies. Transmitting on Ham frequencies requires a license. This license generally represented the user's "handle." For example, if the government issued you license number GXY456, that would be how you would identify yourself during transmission. Also, while CB has a set number of available channels, Ham radios were very complex machines that you could tune in multiple stages to finely focus in on a frequency. The range on Ham radio is practically worldwide as well. In the right weather conditions, and especially at night, Ham radio operators in the States could speak with people on the other side of the globe.

Much like how the FCC would hunt down people pushing out too much power transmitting on CB, the FCC would be constantly monitoring the Ham bands for anyone transmitting and levying very heavy fines and even jail time for anyone caught using a Ham radio without a license.

And I agree! Great episode!

Scott
superboardbros.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scomo wrote:
Hey Stephen,

CB is short for "citizen band." It had some restrictions on the amount of power you push out during transmission but there were no limitations on the people allowed to use it. CB also has a very short range.

Ham on the other hand was (still is) a highly regulated band of radio frequencies. Transmitting on Ham frequencies requires a license. This license generally represented the user's "handle." For example, if the government issued you license number GXY456, that would be how you would identify yourself during transmission. Also, while CB has a set number of available channels, Ham radios were very complex machines that you could tune in multiple stages to finely focus in on a frequency. The range on Ham radio is practically worldwide as well. In the right weather conditions, and especially at night, Ham radio operators in the States could speak with people on the other side of the globe.

Much like how the FCC would hunt down people pushing out too much power transmitting on CB, the FCC would be constantly monitoring the Ham bands for anyone transmitting and levying very heavy fines and even jail time for anyone caught using a Ham radio without a license.

Scott
superboardbros.com

I object to the uncalled for levels of quality information provided to me via the FTT forums. If this is not stopped, the very Cheesy Weird and Obscure fabric of the FTT universe could be rent asunder!

Please refrain from being TOO helpful on this forum.

For useful information sharing where you won't cause events of eventfulness, please see youtube.com/watchitplayed - those folk EXPECT useful stuff and you will fit right in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So where is the board game CB lingo translation list we were promised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan O'D
United States
Delta Junction
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we don't see that list soon, I will turn this van around and drive it off a cliff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Board Bros.
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! Thanks so much for the website address shout out on your show!

We were honored to be a part of the battle of wits and honestly, I think y'all's ideas on what "Autobots on the move!" meant were better than what we came up with!

So glad to know you guys, and here's to FTT's GREAT success in 2016!!

Scott & Jonathan (Bearded Bards of Board Games)
superboardbros.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, calm down Good Buddies. Here is what I pulled out of the conversation. I had to trim out all the talk of dice balancing, Star Trek and the best fruitcake recipes. Here it is...

-Flip
Dexterity Game = "Fun Flicks"
Analysis Paralysis = "Player Processing Plug Up".
Meeple = "Little Peeps"
Lose a turn = "Skip Around" = "Prancin' & Dancin'"
Shuffling = "Card Mosh Pit"
Dice Tower = Bone Tower = "Castle Grayskull"
Card Mosh Pit = "Flat Mosh"
Rubber Band = Band = "Foghat"
Shuffling = Rectangular objects moving = "Square Dance"
Rolling Doubles = Twins = "Devito & Schwarnegger"

-Bruce
Deck Building= "Pack a deck good buddy"
Kingmaking against on player= "Putting the Smokey" on them.
Any game with dice = "Playing' with the snakes eyes"
A multi table Settlers tournament = "Juggling cats"
Playing a game created by Richard Launius = "Beating the tentacles"
Turn over a good card = "Flop a wonder"
When a cat knocks over your game pieces = "Furry tornado"
Any time a move is spaced is rendered useless = "Free parking"
Putting the parts away in a box all willy nilly and having them slosh around = "Unballing the yarn"

Bill Corey
Worker placement: "All the fellas are headin' into town."
Analysis Paralysis: "We got a Sunday Driver in the express lane."

Scott Moore
To bolster with more lingo = "makes this a turtle race"
Luck mechanic: "Watch your 6 for thos 3's and 8s"
Roll and Move = "We've got Autobots on the move here, boys."
I'm on the way to the game store = "10-51 to the bones and timber bazaar"
Lost a Turn = "Copy that. You're 10-20 in a Bear Trap."

Erik Dewey
Rolling a 12 = "Cobra Commander" or "Stormshadow"

Jason Tagmire
Euro = "Pond Jumper"

Curtis Hill
Bringing Mountain Dew to game night = "packin' juice"
Any board game based on a TV game show starring Chuck Woolery = "2&2"

Stephen Avery
Analysis Paralysis = "Breaker breaker, we got a 10 ton turtle"

Geoff Engelstein
Rules Lawyer = "Pokey Smokey"

Brian Counter
After someone makes a horrendous move = "That's a 10-999, Good Buddy."
Hate Drafting = "Puttin' the hammer down, Good Buddy."

Eric Summerer

Pick up and deliver ="Grabbing the pig and bringing home the bacon"

And the answers that our panel gave during the Battle of Wits. Which were some great answers by the way!!

"Flop a Wonder"
Laserbooks = Rolling a 1
Moderator Chris = Drawing a Good card
Jared = Pulling an Ace from the deck

"Pond Jumper"
LaserBooks = Taking someone else's position
Moderator Chris = Someone who "accidently" moves more spaces than they should
Jared = Rolling the highest number on the die

"Pokey Smokey"
Laserbooks = Catch up mechanic
Moderator Chris = A person who takes really long breaks during gametime
Jared = A dexterity game

"Autobots on the Move"
Laserbooks = The Optimus Prime Conundrum
Moderator Chris = Knocking game components off the table
Jared = Rolling a Die

"Ten Ton Turtle"
Laserbooks = A stalling player
Moderator Chris = A monstrous game being played with all the expansions
Jared = Somebody who has Analysis Paralysis

"I'm grabbing the pig and bringing home the bacon"
Laserbooks = Stealing a victory at the last moment
Moderator Chris = When you are sent to pick up the pizza for game night and end up eating it all before you make it back
Jared = Merchants of Venus

"Cobra Commander"
Laserbooks = Player who uses subtle strategies to get what they want. Or a traitor mechanic
Moderator Chris = Master social manipulator
Jared = Traitor

Feel free to keep it going! This was a fun project and one that could CHANGE THE GAMING WORLD!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so gonna use these in the future

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase

Beaverton
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
scomo wrote:
Hey Stephen,

Scott
superboardbros.com

I object to the uncalled for levels of quality information provided to me via the FTT forums. If this is not stopped, the very Cheesy Weird and Obscure fabric of the FTT universe could be rent asunder!

Please refrain from being TOO helpful on this forum.

For useful information sharing where you won't cause events of eventfulness, please see youtube.com/watchitplayed - those folk EXPECT useful stuff and you will fit right in.

Though not cheesy, it was definitely obscure and maybe little weird. But all around neat to know and I actually am a little curious now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Delta
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my favorite episode for some time.

Everyone should watch the original Smokey and the Bandit. It helps that I watched it on TV as a kid, but it's an admittedly dumb, but fun movie with some good car stunts from back when they were done for real without safety as too high a priority.

To be clear, no one should watch the sequels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan O'D
United States
Delta Junction
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a fantastic episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was CERTAIN that "Cobra Commander" was gonna be Alpha Player. You know, cause he's giving out orders and being a jerk.

I nailed "Grabbing the pig and bringing home the bacon".

This is my new favourite episode, even if I didn't understand half of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see that they used V:tes as examples during the game show portion when they were trying to figure out the CB slang. Now for a game that went out of print in 2009 ,it good to be remembered.

Oh wait, I still play and teach it at my FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IEShadow wrote:

Though not cheesy, it was definitely obscure and maybe little weird. But all around neat to know and I actually am a little curious now...

hahah.. Ok, fine. I concede!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWM
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I've got a small child putting fried eggs in a treasure chest" is about the most hilarious sentence that can be constructed in the English language. You're pure gold, Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just drove in in the dark and put Convoy on to get in the mood. You know that it's clearly NOT backing singers doing the chorus. Totally his falsetto voice, or as best as he could manage!

CityWithoutMen wrote:
"I've got a small child putting fried eggs in a treasure chest" is about the most hilarious sentence that can be constructed in the English language. You're pure gold, Chris.
Yeah that was the line that just got me too. For once I honestly wished they'd literally kept that bit up for 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drejza
United States
Hockessin
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
I too have been listenin' to the Rubber Duck putting the Hammer Down outta Tulsa-town. If we can all start listnein', we might just have a mighty audio Convoy!

This was one of the funnier shows where I can walk away with some new lingo to add to my gamer group. Btw, I'm one of the Smokey Pokeys.

Were all those lines at the end scripted? or ad libbed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Drejza
United States
Hockessin
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
Xapi wrote:
I was CERTAIN that "Cobra Commander" was gonna be Alpha Player. You know, cause he's giving out orders and being a jerk.

I was with you on that Cobra Commander...Alpha Gamer. So what is the lingo for that? Captain Kirk? Breathin' Vader-Style?

Also, what game mechanic can we use "Gone Birdin'" for? When a player is all over the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obistahr wrote:
Xapi wrote:

I was with you on that Cobra Commander...Alpha Gamer. So what is the lingo for that? Captain Kirk? Breathin' Vader-Style?

Also, what game mechanic can we use "Gone Birdin'" for? When a player is all over the map?

Poor loser - Since something a poor loser might do when going off in a huff is flipping you the bird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CityWithoutMen wrote:

That one gets me too. Truly one of the best lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obistahr wrote:

Were all those lines at the end scripted? or ad libbed?

All of those lines were ad libbed. We just sat around the mics and babbled stuff off the tops of our heads. It becomes second nature when you've been at it for 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another silly fun truckin song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.