Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this game is more a combo of Blood Bowl Team Manager Card + Warhammer Roleplay...here is my review: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1480927/review-warhammer-que...

But it certainly has some similarities to Lord of the Rings LCG. Other than the obvious one...WQ is warhammer world!...here is a line by line break down :D

GAMEPLAY
LOTR: The player that acts first is designated by the First player token
WQ: The player that acts first is designated by the Leader token

LOTR: You draw attachments (gear) from your pre-made deck if you put them in there
WQ: You find gear by exploring (questing)

LOTR: You quest first, then the monsters attack, then you attack with what you can
WQ: You'll typically want to attack first and then explore (aka quest) if you can or if you have to

LOTR: You have to balance dealing with the enemies in order to successfully win the quest
WQ: You have to balance the necessity of exploring (questing) in order to successfully slaughter the enemies

LOTR: You have to overcome the enemy's defense before dealing wounds
WQ: You have to overcome the enemy's resistance before dealing wounds

LOTR: Locations get drawn from the encounter deck and there might be a lot of them in the staging area
WQ: Locations have their own deck, and there is only 1 in play

LOTR: Enemies get drawn from the encounter deck and there might be a lot of them in play
WQ: Enemies get drawn from their own deck when you travel to a new location and most likely there are a lot of them in play

LOTR: You (typically) can't shoot enemies in the staging area
WQ: You can shoot and fireball enemies in the shadow zone

LOTR: All enemies drawn go into the staging area face up
WQ: Some enemies engage you immediately; other enemies go into the shadow zone face down

LOTR: A threat meter determines if the enemy in the staging comes to you
WQ: All the ready enemies in the shadow zone are going to harass someone

LOTR: Once an enemy engages a player, it (mostly) stays on that player until defeated
WQ: Heroes have a variety of ways to move enemies around from player to player or to the shadows

LOTR: When you explore a location, enemies in the staging area stay there
WQ: Enemies in the shadow zone are discarded when you travel to a new location

RANDOMNESS & SCALING
LOTR: 1 resource token per hero per turn
WQ: 4 player actions per turn (eg - in a 3 player game, the leader gets 2)

LOTR: Encounter deck draws one card per player still in the game
WQ: Starting Hero Hit Points change depending on # of players

LOTR: You draw cards from pre-built decks
WQ: You roll dice

LOTR: Good for solo, great for 2, a stretch for 3 and not so great for 4+ players
WQ: IDK solo...great for 2-4 players

BIG PICTURE
LOTR: It's a LCG...building/modifying the decks is part of the game
WQ: Not a LCG...you pick a hero and play

LOTR: You have a "unit" of 3 hero cards
WQ: You have one hero with 4 action cards

LOTR: The group builds their units into an army
WQ: The group is a small unit

LOTR: Campaign mode is optional and does not really impact the gameplay
WQ: There is a non-campaign "delve, but the campaign gear-up/level-up quest to quest "roleplay style" is a big part of the design
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's heavily LOTR LCG, improved in nearly every way too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay
WHQG has dice you roll to determine the success of actions and see if your damaged in return

LOTR LCG has no dice just total numbers on relevant cards compared

The Pictures
WHQG has art on the cards

LOTR LCG has masterpieces on cards (mostly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I think it's heavily LOTR LCG, improved in nearly every way too.

Do you?
I personally find it to be COMPLETELY another game. Yes, I agree that on the surface there are a lot of similarities... even strong ones (shadows/staging area; locations/quests; etc. etc.) but in the end ALL the resource management mechanic is completely different. The flow of the game is different. The "before play" part of the game of LOTR is a huge part of it: in WQ:ACG it is non-existant. During play in WQ:ACG you actually "play" a character (or two, depending on number of players) in a very rpg-like sort of way. It is kind of easy to identify yourself with him/her (err.. to SOME extent). Does it ever happen to you when you play LOTR?
I DO see the similarities between the two games, but I believe that saying "this game is like LOTR" is a bit of a misjudgement. You know, if you just stick to appearances, you might say that Talisman is "heavily" DnD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hester
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Milarky wrote:
The Pictures
WHQG has art on the cards

LOTR LCG has masterpieces on cards (mostly)

That's an interesting point. No one has really talked about art yet. I'm actually really enjoying the art that's been put together for WHQ and I like that it's very consistent.

For LOTR LCG, there's truly a lot of amazing stuff in there but that's been spread out over a cardpool that's in the thousands. There's also a whole lot of middling stuff and a fair amount of downright bad stuff. It also seems like in the cases of heroes, very often the better hero version ends up with the lamer art which can be kind of disappointing (see the EPIC! but useless tactics Theoden vs. immensely-useful Santa Claus-Theoden). So yeah, LOTR does have some really great stuff but, personally, I don't think I'd say that it's mostly masterpieces.

Not saying that one is better than the other. I think if you took the best examples from LOTR then it would easily outshine WHQ. But the LOTR art is also all over the place which can can be a little distracting at times. With WHQ, I think it's all pretty consistent and I've been enjoying that.

Overall, they're both great but have different strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Allen
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this great comparison! I was very excited for the LOTR LCG when I first picked it up, but I ultimately found it to be overly complicated and fiddly for me. Have you found the Warhammer ACG more streamlined than LOTR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Trader
msg tools
Everything Counts in Large Amounts
badge
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me? What ship would bear me every back across so wide a sea?
mb
I sold my collection of LOTR LCG and got this game to try instead. It pained me, because I really love that game, but I found that I hated the deckbuilding being half the game, sometimes requiring you to tweak or rebuild before each scenario. Eventually I really just wanted to play a challenging and thematic adventure, not build to prepare to play, and this game will hopefully fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Herme123 wrote:
Thank you for this great comparison! I was very excited for the LOTR LCG when I first picked it up, but I ultimately found it to be overly complicated and fiddly for me. Have you found the Warhammer ACG more streamlined than LOTR?

So..."streamlined" is a tough word to respond to but I'll try.
Definitely less time, no time!, in "deckbuilding" in WQ ACG because it is not a LCG. I know there are more than a few LOTRCG cards I bought that never hit the table. Further, in LOTRCG if I tried to build for themes then I was disappointed with performance. Thus, the decks we built/played were built to win and we stopped asking questions like why the Eagles and Legolas and Hama cared to venture into the mines of Moria.

This game is simpler (no deckbuilding) and so far very little "anti-thematic" moments. Perhaps nitpicky but the one I can think of is the capability for the elf to equip/use a sword but still be using a bow (ranged). It doesn't quite jump the shark like a lot of the scenarios in LOTR did...but it did leave us wondering "is this legal."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herme123 wrote:

Yes it's way more clean and streamlined than LOTR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Allen
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses! That's great to hear, because I kept having the hardest time keeping track of the seemingly endless phases and steps in each round of LOTR. There's a lot to like in the LOTR card game, including a rich theme and wonderful art, but I kept feeling exhausted by managing the game rather than exhilarated by playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Trader
msg tools
Everything Counts in Large Amounts
badge
But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me? What ship would bear me every back across so wide a sea?
mb
Grandmartoni wrote:
Further, in LOTRCG if I tried to build for themes then I was disappointed with performance. Thus, the decks we built/played were built to win and we stopped asking questions like why the Eagles and Legolas and Hama cared to venture into the mines of Moria.

This also drove me crazy in LOTR. That world basically screams for deeply thematic play, but trying to build a thematic deck often left you with a sub-par setup, on top of having to constantly tweak it.

That said, if they ever make a LOTR game that's more like what WHQ is, I'll just start signing my paycheck over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grandmartoni wrote:
This game is simpler (no deckbuilding) and so far very little "anti-thematic" moments. Perhaps nitpicky but the one I can think of is the capability for the elf to equip/use a sword but still be using a bow (ranged). It doesn't quite jump the shark like a lot of the scenarios in LOTR did...but it did leave us wondering "is this legal."

All of the melee weapons in the game require that the enemy affected be engaged with the hero. The only one that doesn't is the dagger, and I can easily imagine that being thrown into the enemy.

So the theme stays strong for me. I just imagine the waywatcher, Legolas-style, shooting a goblin with his bow, and then turning around, whipping out his sword, and slaying a fool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.