Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THURN AND TAXIS SOLITAIRE VARIANT

I’ve played the game a few times recently, and thought it could play well solo as the interaction in the multiplayer game is more around competition for the points markers and (to an extent) cards then blocking, capturing etc.

I noticed that there has been a thread on this subject but also that no-one has posted playable rules, so here’s my input. Feel free to comment/suggest improvements as you see fit (I haven’t played it to death so there may well be ways of improving the scoring in particular).

RULES

All normal games rules apply with the exceptions/additions below:

1. You may only pass through the card deck once. The game ends IMMEDIATELY as soon as you use the last card from the draw deck to fill an empty city card space on the board. Any unscored part-completed route you have in play is lost.

2. Additional card deck bonus scoring: if the game ends without the card deck being exhausted (i.e. you have played all of your houses or picked up the final carriage card), count the cards remaining in the deck and award yourself bonus points equal to that number. However, you may never gain more bonus points than you have houses on the board at game end.

3. You may claim the game-end one point bonus tile if you end the game by playing your last house or if you claim the final carriage card and choose to end the game at that point (see optional rule 4 below).

4. Optional rule: The game does not end when you pick up the last carriage card. You may play on, but if you do the game will only end when you have placed your last house or the deck is exhausted as above.

SCORING

All normal scoring rules apply (but see 2 and 3 above). In particular, you may claim several bonus tiles for long routes as per the normal game.

• 0-39 points: You are Cliff the mailman from ‘Cheers’. Do not handle money, and avoid walking near main roads without competent adult supervision.
• 40-44 points: You are Postman Pat. The mail’s starting to get through now.
• 45-49 points: You are Pheidippides (or Paul Revere if you’re North American) – the message always gets through with you in charge.
• 50 points or more: You are Prince Alexander Ferdinand Fürst von Thurn und Taxis, hereditary general postmaster of the empire, the Netherlands and Burgundy, hereditary marshal of Hainault, etc, etc. Expect the invitation to dine with the Emperor to arrive any minute now. In one of your gilded mail coaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pasquantonio
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I am going to give this a try this weekend. I especially like the Postman Pat reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, i gave it a try.

1st try: 47
Had to get 6 new cards a few times, since Lodz and that last City in Bavaria didn't show up.

2nd try: 61
34 points card bonus. None of the Lodz and Pilsen cards appeared, but you only need to place 20 houses.

Looks like a very high amount of luck to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Oh, i gave it a try.

1st try: 47
Had to get 6 new cards a few times, since Lodz and that last City in Bavaria didn't show up.

2nd try: 61
34 points card bonus. None of the Lodz and Pilsen cards appeared, but you only need to place 20 houses.

Looks like a very high amount of luck to me.

According to my rules, you can't claim more bonus points than the number of houses you have in play, so you couldn't score 34 bonus points (as you only have 20 houses). I put that limit on to offset getting a lot of good cards early, and to make you think about playing all your houses early as opposed to going for more of the road length bonuses.

And yes, there is a lot of luck, as there is in the normal game.

I think the points bands may be a little low - I got 44 then 47 when I tried it. so I may be tempted to push the min/max points on each band up by 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly disagree that there is a lot of luck in the normal game.

An interesting variant. I scored 47 on my first try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Excellent! I was planning on attempting to formulate a solo variant. Glad to see the work was done for me. I'll play this when I can--looks promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Benito Richards
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To the OP: Many thanks for providing this!
I have just played this game for the first time now, and solitaire.
I scored exactly 40 points, so I just barely reached "Postman Pat" status... phew!
Well, I think I have a feel of the game now, so I can teach the group tomorrow.
For my games, I will change the second-best score name to "Michael Strogoff", the famous Courier of the Tsar. The characters you mention don't ring a bell to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.