Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Gravel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played three full campaign games.

There's a lot going on in this game, so it's hard to conceptualize a broad strategy right from the beginning. I find myself just trying to score as many points as possible for a good portion of the game. Then at about conference 7, I start maneuvering to arrange the end game conditions in my favor.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
I start in turn 1, though not maneuvering per se. I try to score as many points as the other players. I never want to be ahead at any point because that just makes the other players pay too much attention to what you're doing and it's much better to have them either thinking about their own points or those of the other player.

Turn 8,9 is when I try to get the global sides to mine so that the political landscape can be locked down to my liking. Sure, that's where most of the fighting will be over at that point in the game, so it may not happen. If not, spend your clandestine tokens knocking the lowest point player's tokens off the board. That way they have to spend their chips just getting back to normal rather than gaining points. It will make the leader think twice about gaining too many points.

So, after that rambling, I see where yes, the big "Maneuvers" happen during the last 3 or so turns. The beginning of the game establishes the play style of the other two players, how easy it will be to win the war, and which victory condition you should be playing for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on who you're playing. I've only played a partial campaign game (as the Soviets). My goal was to make early progress on the Eastern front, focusing on grabbing DOs and other things that would give me the offensive support to ensure the front moved. But, where opportunity presented itself, I also made sure to capture the A-Bomb to get espionage VPs. I also grabbed strat materials at the end of a conference twice to grab conference wins because of the difficulty of the Soviets winning conferences.

I think you're always going to be maneuvering to a degree. Both the Americans and the British have some incentive to make progress on particular fronts early in the game (e.g. Britain in the Med to get to Italy b/f the West front). But I don't perceive a shift from an early-game strategy of focusing on the war to a late-game strategy of focusing on Pol/Mil, Global issues, etc. Rather, if there is a switch from one to the other it will (or should be) on a per-turn basis, based on the hand you have (some will be better for addressing political aspects while others will be better for addressing the war.)

But overall, I feel like this is a game of overall management of the situation rather than big moves at any certain point. I feel like among experienced players, the player who has a general plan and makes steady progress on his prioritized war fronts, grabbing pol-mil when the opportunity arises, and overall just "manages" the conduct of the war and the entire game, will do better than a person who says "I'm going to prosecute the war to its fullest until conference 6 and then exclusively focus on Pol-Mil/Global issues." This isn't a VP generation game where players need to figure out when to switch from creating their VP engine to actually churning out VPs.

I'd also note that although the position of any Global Issue isn't relevant for victory points until the end of the game, positioning them favorable early can be a big help. PA markers don't come off the board when a Global issue switches, so if you let another person control a global issue, he can build up a position in that area that can't be counteracted in the last turn or two if you wait that long to pull it in your favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.