Fearsome Floors» Forums » Sessions

Subject: More Monsters + More People = More Fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played this game I REALLY wanted to like it, but the first session fell so flat, I rated it a “6” on the remnants of my hopes and dreams, more than from any game time enjoyment.

The first game was marred by just having 3 players total, an incomplete understanding of the rules (not that the game is really difficult, but I usually manage to totally miss--or botch--at least one rule the first time through) , and perhaps a too exuberant wish to follow the advice on the Geek to “Play it fast.”

After the second game, I happy to say that this is one of my current favorite games, and I easily gave it an “8” rating.

Differences in the second session:
1. FOUR MORE EMOTIONALLY STABLE PLAYERS: The first time playing with three, we were supposed to have about 5 people, but two never showed, one was late, and one had slipped on ice before getting here.

2. FOUR BODIES: I would venture a guess that this game is just better with four than three because of the amount of characters on the board. The density of action was really quite exciting. I’m curious to see if it plays even better with more than four, as four seemed to be a pretty, “sweet spot” during out game.

3. WE TOOK SOME TIME: I know there are players who could put the breaks on this game, but since the possibilities of monster movement can shift with every move, I don’t really agree that this one could be “solved” by excessive time anyway, unless you had four all equally intelligent and methodical players. We had a few “WHY did you move there? Now we’re both doomed!” moments. Still, it’s more fun to try and plan out your moves somewhat (we still played most pieces pretty fast, but occasionally lingered over an “important” move), it adds to the emotional outburst when you get screwed.

4. WE PLAYED WITH TWO MONSTERS: If the instruction to hurry through the game were a bit misguided for our group, this suggestion was dead on. I thought the body count would be way too high with two, but although I only won with being the first to get two pieces out the door, the monster ration seemed just right. I can’t see myself even trying just one monster anymore. Details: we sent the second monster out one turn after the first, and he moves the same amount as the first, though after the first each time. We decided (but it never came up) that monsters could see and move through each other.

Rule Clarification: We had to go to the book to see what would happen if a monster turned to face a character and then saw another closer character through this new line of peripheral sight: would the monster turn again?. The rules state “no” that the monster moves one space forward after turning.

Everyone enjoyed this game. We tend to like games that don’t reward over analysis (like I said, I think this game is a bit too chaotic to really be “solved” when a number of people are playing) but still offer choices. Fearsome Floors really did this in spades, and the “random” feeling of the monsters’ movement really made it fun to see the outcome of the monsters’ turn. As we play more, we will probably see things in advance more clearly, but there we some pretty frequent groans as a monster made an unexpected turn during the game.

This game is as fun as it is beautiful. I'm glad I got to find that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With more than four players the game becomes too chaotic to my taste. There are simply too many variables to calculate quickly. Often it will rely more on luck than strategy, if you survive. But your variant with two monsters sounds promising. It might add more of those "oh! I didn't see that" moments, which makes the game so fun. This is a variant I will have to try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
This is a variant I will have to try!

agreed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, at a gaming event another table played with two monsters and their advice after the fact was "Don't do it". They did have a clear cut winner though, because only one single character actually lived meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 1/4 of the characters make it out alive, but I'll see in subsequent plays if that ratio remains similar.

One person surviving huh? That's a Hollywood bodycount there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.