Thumb up
1 Posts

Wellington» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Wellington AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin ElzingaCheng
flag msg tools
Fun game - I think with 6 cards in your hand plus home cards (3 for Brits and 2 for everyone else) along with pretty high tactical ratings for the commanders make for some crazy action. This is tempered by the fact that Spain is such a difficult place to march around but still there were some exciting battles fought with lots of battle and response cards thrown in.

We finished up the four player game with Laurie and Robbie as Northern and Southern French, Paul as the Spainards and Ben as the Brits. The French basically get hammered all game long unless they get lucky early and I think their best shot at winning the game is in 1812 or 1813 with either a conquest of Spain or with a peace roll that finishes the game. Barring that they are in for a long and tough defense.

The game went the distance with both Laurie and Robbie running out of cards before Paul and I which allowed us to keep playing and pick up a few more keys. The Brits at the end of the game because of battle losses, an Italian adventure, and the Invasion of Canada, was down to Wellington and Beresford (that's it, no troops, Beresford in Wellington's "army") although he had driven all the way into France. The French weren't much better off, the Spainards had probably 30 troops or more spread throughout the country (I guess it is their country after all) but those troops don't help you much when they are siestaing in southern Spain!

The allies won the day and the final total for Britain and Spain was 13 to 12 after the Spanish bonus VPs were added, so I managed to squeak out a win. Paul had some terrible die rolling luck so if his luck had been only below average instead of horrendously below average, he probably would have won the game.

A lot of fun, would love to play it again as the French and try and roll a 6 on the peace roll to end the game early!

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.