Holo Bolo
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I just had my first fun play of Carrier Commander. Some questions arose:

Is shooting other squadrons by passing them only allowed on the field directly behind them, or can you shoot another ship while passing, no matter where you stop.

What does crossing tracks mean? Do you change the ship to the enemie's squadron track without moving it along the squadron tracks (just change side? Or does it fly the rolled amount of spaces and just changes at the end of your own squadron track. What about the situation, that you cannot enter the space on the enemies squadron track, is the turn then forfeit and no torpedo is fired?

Can a ship enter the flight deck/hangar on its own, rolling a 1-3? When rolling a 3-5, can any ship of the return track be put in the flight deck/hangar, no matter at which distance it is?

Thanks for answering these, because I couldn't resolve them using the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Parejko
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first question, I think you have to stop on the square to fire, not just pass through it. That's how the rules read to me.

I am also unsure about how exactly to handle crossing to the other track and firing torpedoes. Clarification on that would be useful.

Good question about the landings. We never had a ship make it back to land, so it never came up, but we weren't exactly sure how to handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Stewart
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, the rules could use some clarification. A couple people have linked to the game's website for explanatory images, but the images and video found there are from a prototype of the game, not the final version — the game board in final edition is printed diagonally across the card rather than straight, and some of the arrows were removed with some additional text added. Based on the changes to the board, a bit of experience, the gameplay video, and some good ol' intuition, I offer the following rule interpretations:

The game board looks more or less like this:
            [B6] [B5] [B4] [B3] [B2] [B1] [BL] [BLUE]
[GOLD] [GL] [G1] [G2] [G3] [G4] [G5] [G6]

1) Attacks & movement. A squadron must move the full speed rolled (if that space is occupied, no movement is possible). Attacks are always determined from where the squadron stops. A fighter which ends its turn on B3 can attack an enemy in either B4 or G3. A bomber ending in B3 could only attack a squadron in B4.

Logically, a bomber should hit things behind it (i.e. B2 in the above example), but it appears these are heavy torpedo ships with short-range cannons, not bombers. I think you could house rule it either way without breaking the game, but I have not yet tried this.

2) Torpedo fire & Crossing tracks. When a fighter or bomber attacks the carrier, it fires a torpedo and then crosses onto the other track. I interpret this to mean that it uses as much of its movement possible on the attack vector, then finishes the movement beginning with space 1 on the opposite side. (e.g. A gold fighter in G5 rolls a 3. It fires a torpedo from this space, moves into G6, then continues its movement to end in B2.)

The space directly opposite #6 on each side is labeled "launch" and should not count as a space when turning around. The rules are unclear here, but were the launch space to count as a space for the enemy team, that player could theoretically camp a squadron there and completely disable his enemy for the entire game. For the same reason, the frigate cannot attack a squadron in this space.

Like ships, torpedoes must move the full distance from where it is fired — 2 spaces for fighters, 3 for bombers. If there are no ships present in the targeted space, the shot misses and no damage is done. Marine dropships do not fire torpedoes; they deposit their marines in the enemy's flight deck as they turn to cross to the return track.

3) Docking with the carrier. After a squadron has made an attack against the enemy carrier, it must return to its mothership to reload and refuel. Doing so requires a ship to move into space #6 on its return path. A squadron may end its movement prematurely to stop in this space. Once in that space, the carrier can dock a squadron in either adjacent space using the Activate Carrier action (die roll 3-5), returning it to the fight deck. The Flight Quarters special allows you to dock (and launch) a squadron on a roll of 1-5 instead. The squadron must be moved back into the hangar using the Activate Carrier action before it can turn around and be launched again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo C. Ponze
Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
flag msg tools
galmr wrote:
2) Torpedo fire & Crossing tracks. When a fighter or bomber attacks the carrier, it fires a torpedo and then crosses onto the other track. I interpret this to mean that it uses as much of its movement possible on the attack vector, then finishes the movement beginning with space 1 on the opposite side. (e.g. A gold fighter in G5 rolls a 3. It fires a torpedo from this space, moves into G6, then continues its movement to end in B2.)

The space directly opposite #6 on each side is labeled "launch" and should not count as a space when turning around. The rules are unclear here, but were the launch space to count as a space for the enemy team, that player could theoretically camp a squadron there and completely disable his enemy for the entire game. For the same reason, the frigate cannot attack a squadron in this space.

I believe you do count the "launch" spot as a space when turning around. That's how the original rules worked and that is shown in the gameplay video. If you compare the final version of the rules with the latest playtest PDF and then to the first playtest rules uploaded on kickstarter, nothing was added addressing that a ship turning around cannot finish its movement on the spot where the enemy's ship are launched.

This means that your ship can prevent the enemy carrier from launching any ships into the track (as seen in the video), but it also makes the ship vulnerable to the Frigate. And that's why I think you can move the Frigate also to the sides of both the launch spots. I agree the modification on the board makes it look like the Frigate track only goes from G1/B5 to G5/B1, but it you look at the prototype, the arrows for the Frigate track also finish halfway through the first/last spots.

If the rules changed between the only gameplay video available and the final rules (and this is an important rule), I think the autor would have addressed the change somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.