Popular Tags: [View All]
E Lewy
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It was mine and Gabriel's first game and all we knew about the game was that it was Lovecraftian and co-op.

We started off and Scott had great luck by drawing the Tommy gun. Gabriel had a blessed knife. Robin had no weapons and eventually became cursed as well.

In the very first round, a polyp spawned, and it would be our nemesis for the entirety of the game. Literally. It spent the entire latter half of the game between the sky and the spot right outside of the Infirmary, so that Robin got stuck in there for quite a bit of game time. The game lasted five and a half hours, so this was no small chunk of time!

This is why I will be hard to convince to play this game again. It was just way too long. Part of this was because two of us were new but that was definitely not all it was.

We got two Elder Signs during the course of the game, but got an environment card disallowing us from closing any gates. So the last few rounds of the game were spent waiting outside of gates for the environment card to be overruled.

I also took out a bank loan to go shopping for Elder Signs and the shops closed before I could use my money. So I ended up giving it to Robin so that she could heal and then she was stuck behind the menace of the Polyp.

I did manage to become the deputy, which was very nice, but most of the shops were closed and then they all closed. My money went to paying my loan interest exclusively. I will not take another loan in this game. A little too realistic with my entire paycheck being eaten by it!

Finally, Robin and Gabriel had waited in their gates for long enough to close the remaining two that we needed, and after beginning at 3 PM we finished the game at 8:30 PM. ARGH! Have I mentioned, too long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2P games rarely last more than 2 and half hours. I've had one or two go to three hours. The game does speed up as you become more familiar with the rules. Of course, whether you think it's worth becoming more familiar is largely up to you. Then again, even my first game (a 2P) didn't take over 3 and half hours, so this might not be the game for your playing style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
(Please note this is a long post, but i hope you do read it, as I think it will solve your problems with AH)

Well I do understnad your frustration, however I think you should give the rules a another look, there are a lot of things in the game that are easily over looked. The biggest one I saw was that you said it took five and a half hours to play.

This is pretty hard to do, were you sure that you were moving the great ones doom track up every time a gate opened? on page 9 of the rules under
"Phase V: Mythos: section C No Elder Sign or Gate: step 1 The Doom Track Advances - The first player places a doom token with the eye synbol face up in the first available space on the Ancient One's doom track. If the marker is placed in the last available space on the doom track, the Ancient One has awakend and the end of the game has begun (see "The Ancient One Awakens! page 20). If the Ancient One awakens, you do not need to complete the rest of the Mythos Phase: Proceed immediately to the final battle. Not that it is also possible for the Ancient One to awaken because there are too many gates open in Arkham at once (see "The Ancient One Awakens!," page 20).

Also, I beleive you were doing the Flying Monsters inccorectly as well.
page 11 in the yellow box, re-read that carefully.

FLYING MONSTERS

Flying Monsters are indicated by a blue border. When a flying monster moves during the Mythos Phase, it obeys the following rules:

A) If the flying monster is in a "location" or "street area" with one or more investigators it stays where it is. (please keep in mind Locations and Street Areas are very diffrent)

B) If the flying monster is in a LOCATION or STREET AREA with no investigators and there are one or more investigators in a connected street area, it mobes into that street area. If there is more than one connected STREET AREA containing investogators, it moves towards the investigator in thoes STREET AREAS with the LOWEST current Sneak skill

C) If the flying monster is in a STREET AREA with NO Investigators and there are NO Investigators in a CONNECTED STREET AREA it moves to the SKY.

The Sky
The Sky is a holding area considdered to be a street area that is connected to every STREET AREA in Arkham. Flying monsters in the Sky can swoop down on investigators anywhere in the STREETS of Arkham. Note that Monsters in the Sky COUNT against the monster limit!

:: Ok so in gist, if you are in a LOCATION you are safe and the monster will return to the sky on its Movement, thus leaving the players free to move around, However! if they stop in a STREET AREA, the flying monsters will Move down to the STREET AREA they are in on THEIR Movement in the Mythos Phases, so your friend should never have been "trapped". ::

Too Many Gates:
On the back of the rule book it tells you how many are too many based on the number of player if you had 3, then 7 OPEN gates are your limit, and once & are open the Awakening happens, so if you are drawing a new gate Tile at the Beginning of EVERY Mythis phase, for 3 people should be more that 12 turns, now I say 12 because when you draw a mythos card and it says to put it on a Location that already has a gate, a Monster Surge happens, and a monster comes out of every open gate! (thus no new gate) or if you get a location that is already sealed then no new gate or monster appears (incentive to seal gates)

Monster Limit:
Also on the back of the rules. the limit is # of players +3 now this means that for your group you can have no more than 6! monters in the City and in the Sky, like if there are already 6 and you open a new gate, that monster automaticaly goes to the OUTSKIRTS

Outskirts:
Also on the back. 3 players 5 monsters so as soon as a 6th monster gets to the outskirts all 6 monsters return to the cup (we use a felt bag) and the Terror Track goes up by 1

Terror Track:
As the TT goes up some stores close (making the game harder) and for each level an Allie in the Allie deck gets disscarded (they get scared away). Once the TT reached 10 it shows that the city has gone mad with fear and any further TT advancement goes directly to The Great Onces Doom Track. yet another way for the game to end sooner.

Im sorry for the huge post and these are just some of the highlights, this game is really great but takes a bit to learn, I urge you to try it again and to give the rules another once over, remember that you can play this solo to test some rules and make sure that you got the hang of it. If you hae any questions please send me a message and id be happy to help.

-Sean aka TR0LL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
samidha wrote:
Finally, Robin and Gabriel had waited in their gates for long enough to close the remaining two that we needed, and after beginning at 3 PM we finished the game at 8:30 PM. ARGH! Have I mentioned, too long?

I just noticed this as well. You cannot do this however.

page 8 "Other World Movement" If an investigator is in an Other World at the BEGGINING of the Movement Phase, he recives NO movement points. instead, his movement depends on weather he is in the first (left) or second (right) area of the Other World. (also not that because he gets no movement points he cant use any items that would require them)

-If the investigator is in the first area of the Other World, he moves to the second area. (you dont get to choose

-If the investigator is in the second area of the Other World, he returns to Arkham. The player must choose a location that contains a gate to the Other World he is leaving. After choosing such a location, he places his investigator marker there. tThen he places an "explored" marker underneath his investigator to show that he has explored the gate. This marker remains in play as long as the investigator remains at the location. If there is no open gate leading to the Other World the investigator is in, the investigator is "Lost in Time and Space" (see page 17)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
msg tools
TR0LL wrote:
samidha wrote:
Finally, Robin and Gabriel had waited in their gates for long enough to close the remaining two that we needed, and after beginning at 3 PM we finished the game at 8:30 PM.

I just noticed this as well. You cannot do this however.

Did you miss this bit?

samidha wrote:
So the last few rounds of the game were spent waiting outside of gates for the environment card to be overruled.

It sounds like they were doing that right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah the last part they were doing right, I dont quite understand what you mean by your first post. but really the GOO should have awakened long before they had to sit and wait. actually beating the game without the Awakening is very hard. at least in my experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the trapped thing and flying monsters: What if it never moves, though? What if its symbol never appears? I believe in that case a monster (even a flier) could trap her unless she decided to fight/evade. I've seen monsters hole up in a steet location for several rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
wabner wrote:
About the trapped thing and flying monsters: What if it never moves, though? What if its symbol never appears? I believe in that case a monster (even a flier) could trap her unless she decided to fight/evade. I've seen monsters hole up in a steet location for several rounds.

Flying monsters do NOT use the symbols, they have their own special rules, that go into effect EVERY Mythos Phase. the only time they will every stay on the street is if there is an Investigator there. Otherwise they go back to the sky. Their symbol only effects them when a gate of the same symbol is closed, they go back to the cup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
TR0LL wrote:

Flying monsters do NOT use the symbols, they have their own special rules, that go into effect EVERY Mythos Phase.

Um..no. They only move when their symbol is drawn, just like any other monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Lewy
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I forgot the exact specifics of the situation but the Polyp was right outside the infirmary and Robin was in there unable to pay to heal and slowly getting hit points back while knowing that she wouldn't be able to fight the polyp, so she stayed inside.

We talked today and figured out we did do the terror track wrong. But we were doing the otherworld movement properly...but after you go back out following your trip to the otherworld, you can stay on the gate space...

It's probably not the game for me because if you have to fight the GOO to win that's...eh. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Smith
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to go w/ Rich here... Our first game was played the same (wrong) way you did Sean... It is important to realize that the special flying monster movement only occurs _when_ they move... and they move when their symbol shows up...

Oh, and we have had several 2p games take 4-5 hrs... We think it is worth it... but I could see why it might not be for some...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TR0LL wrote:
wabner wrote:

Flying monsters do NOT use the symbols, they have their own special rules, that go into effect EVERY Mythos Phase. the only time they will every stay on the street is if there is an Investigator there. Otherwise they go back to the sky. Their symbol only effects them when a gate of the same symbol is closed, they go back to the cup

Sorry Sean but that's incorrect. Check the FAQ:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/AHfaq.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samidha wrote:
I forgot the exact specifics of the situation but the Polyp was right outside the infirmary and Robin was in there unable to pay to heal and slowly getting hit points back while knowing that she wouldn't be able to fight the polyp, so she stayed inside.

We talked today and figured out we did do the terror track wrong. But we were doing the otherworld movement properly...but after you go back out following your trip to the otherworld, you can stay on the gate space...

It's probably not the game for me because if you have to fight the GOO to win that's...eh. shake

For what it's worth, whenever I win, it's always by preventing the rise of the Ancient Evil.

Getting the Terror Track wrong can really slow down the game. After all, according to errata, when Terror hits 10 the Ancient One gets a Doom Token and then inevitably enough monsters flood the board to awaken him.

I don't know if this is the game for you (probably not, I think) but I think it might be worth it to try it at least one more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
wabner wrote:

Sorry Sean but that's incorrect. Check the FAQ:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/AHfaq.pdf

Awesome! glad to be corrected, see what I mean about this game, it has a lot of odd rules that take a while to learn/get the hang of.

Anyway hope I was some help, and thanks for correcting me guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Lewy
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You totally were. I will definitely give it another try, hopefully when my friends are *also* more familiar with the rules. (My friends Robin and Scott taught us--as they understood it. It was their copy. So.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably not the game for me because if you have to fight the GOO to win that's...eh.

I much prefer the clean win of sealing the gates, but the GOO-fight is often interesting if you've just been barely getting by. It does seem odd to defeath Hastur with a stick of dynamite, brass knuckles and small knife, but I figure you've weakened his power a little bit....

Azathoth can't fought, while some of the Dunwich GOO's are Brutal if you end up fighting them (Tsuathhgagao (sic0) is especially harsh on his requirements).

I love the game, and the three/four player games we play are now reasonably quick (2-3 hours), as we know the game pretty well.

Your trapped Polyp player might have been wise to try go insane and bypass it that way (depends on the sanity loss involved) or tried taking encounters in the hospital instead of healing. Sucks when it happens, but it's relatively rare that you get stuck. Your colleagues should come and help clear the way if they can.

Give it another bash. If it doesn't sit right, not worries. My first play was a little 'meh'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Lewy
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I plan to if they bring it by again. We realized a couple of mistakes we made because they weren't too experienced with the game themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.