Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Lets Gooooo Mountaineers!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for a game to suite a few non-gamers that will be visiting for a few days. Upon looking over my collection the only one that I own that can suit them is Camel Up and King of Tokyo.

What I am hoping to find is a game that works with 2-8 or 4-8 players, easy to teach, and has that "I can do better next time" feeling after playing it.

I was looking at Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) and BANG! The Dice Game, but I am not sure either fit the bill.

Cash N Guns seems to be the kind of game you play once and you can be over it for the night. I want something that people will want to try again with.

With Bang! I don't know if they would enjoy the hidden roll element, also the win conditions may be a little hard for them to keep track of... not sure though.

The game can be team based, but the teams need to be a size of 2 at the minimum.

Thanks to all for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept

Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Codenames

This is the hotness right now, but it really does work well for a variety of groups. I took it to a church gathering the other night and played it with a couple different groups. Players ranged from middle schoolers to 50-something, and they all liked it. The only negative I have is that when playing with kids, their limited frame of reference can sometimes limit the effectiveness of your clues (like when I had the words "glass" and "press" in my grid, I wanted to use "wine" as my clue but knew my 8yo wouldn't get it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 BANG! The Dice Game
I've yet to find a crowd that doesn't enjoy it. Regardless of gamer level or inebriation at time of teaching (thus it's relative easy to teach). Also, it plays quick enough that you can play one 'practice round' with roles face-up with to understand win conditions better.

Cards Against Humanity is always a favorite for bigger non-gamer groups depending on group's acceptance of the profane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drewid English
United Kingdom
Lisburn
flag msg tools
You shame us all
badge
I've had success with Dixitwith groups of non-gamers.

Easy to teach and works well in party situations.

+1King of Tokyo/King of New York - they are good casual games for non-gamers too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fernandez
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Lets Gooooo Mountaineers!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any love for The Resistance or Roll For It! Deluxe Edition?
Or are both of these "one and done" type games?

Also I am highly considering Concept and Codenames, so thanks for those!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Pearce
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse Charades is a super fun party game. It is not as intimidating as the regular version of charades and moves much faster!

Also, Taboo and Catch Phrase! are two oldies but goodies as far as casual party games go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celicarasr wrote:
Any love for The Resistance or Roll For It! Deluxe Edition?
Or are both of these "one and done" type games?

Also I am highly considering Concept and Codenames, so thanks for those!

The Resistance needs at least 5, so it doesn't fit your player count as well. Although it is fun, and it does leave you with a "one more game" kind of feeling. I haven't played Roll for It.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Tsuro of the Seas goes over well with large groups of non-gamers. It's simple, if people don't like the random NPC element you can play the original version also. Also you it is a good framework to come up with your own variants. I have a couple of 2 player race variants like to play.

Also I have found Camel Up generally goes over well because most people actually do like the gamble when it isn't their money.

Both of those can be played 2 player. For Tsuro try each player controlling two ships but only 3 cards total for the person. So they have to decide which cards for which ship. I think Camel Up plays fine with 2 players though some disagree.

The One Night series (Werewolf, Vampire, Revolution) can be hit or miss. For some people the way the deduction works does flow with how they think.

Sheriff of Nottingham can be tricky also. With these bluffing games some people are not good liars. At least in this game someone who tells the truth has a good chance of winning. If no one realizes it that person will probably win. But if others catch on they can prevent it.

None of those games work well under 4 players. Ideal at 5 or over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.