Carl Hintze
Sweden
flag msg tools
There are worse burdens...
badge
Cool Cat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I really love games like Eclipse and clash of cultures.
4x ish games with a heavy economic engine and possibilites for conflict.

But i think these games are a little to long. We usually round in around 5 hours to play these.

Is there anything simular that might play in a little shorter time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dominant Species is more Euro than the ones you described, but you might still like it. It's more in the 3-4 hour range.

Scythe is probably exactly what you want, but it doesn't come out until July or so. It plays in 2 hours or less.

Oh, and also maybe Shogun. I've always wanted to try that one. It says 2.5 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
Life goes on...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can look into Royals. There are multiple scoring tracks that you need to keep an eye out for fairly heavy player interaction in later parts of the game.
Scythe for whenever that comes out
El Grande could be something you are interested. It just got a Big Box reprint
Kemet might be something that interests you, but it is mostly combat oriented
Mare Nostrum: Empires coming early next year might also interest you. Looks like it might have good balance of economy/commerce and combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hintze
Sweden
flag msg tools
There are worse burdens...
badge
Cool Cat!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have backed Scythe I looks just like the thing, but i dont think it will arrive until august.

I was wondering if there is anything out right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet is the answer. It's fast and furious. It has a strong economic feel where the currency is themed as prayer points. It's got a marvelous tech-advancement system. And it's very Euro-driven, with hardly any luck or randomness at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cazzmataz wrote:
Hello

I really love games like Eclipse and clash of cultures.
4x ish games with a heavy economic engine and possibilites for conflict.

But i think these games are a little to long. We usually round in around 5 hours to play these.

Is there anything simular that might play in a little shorter time?

If you want the civ building theme with a card game try: Innovation
If you want a space theme (no conflict), try: Roll for the Galaxy
If you want a space theme with conflict, try: Alien Frontiers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus 1 dominant species. Very euro, highly confrontational. No random Cindy line eclipse though (combat is eclipses weakest point IMO, foot such a precise game roll some dice and hope for 6 is lame).

El grande is also very confrontational, without combat. We laughed our way through our first game this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Cyclades
Dominant Species
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also take a look at Antike II. It is lighter than true 4X games, but gives a similar feel with shorter, quicker play and much easier to learn ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody with Blood Rage? I assumed that would be one of the first ones listed.

El Grande and Dominant Species get +1 from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barbarick
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are not really as involved in technology as Clash of Cultures or Eclipse but March of the Ants and Conquest of Paradise both fit the bill.

My wife and I play Conquest in about half an hour (supports 4 with lower VP victory conditions, though 2 or 3 players would be better), but it is pricey since it is Out Of Print.

March of the Ants plays up to 5 (4 if you want different player powers) and has a reaction ability that the other players get to take for the action you take. Also, I have not tried it yet but am intrigued by its coop option. Despite its different theme, it is a 4X game with a much shorter playtime. It is also pretty cheap for a 4x game at about $30 at the big three online game stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's okay, I'm
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The correct answer is:

Hyperborea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Dawn is supposed to be the newer shorter 4x game on the market, might be worth checking out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates is another classic Euro with a high amount of conflict that just doesn't seem to happen as much any more. (As was El Grande, also suggested in this thread.)

It doesn't have the explore part, but it definitely has expand and conquer, with a bunch of conflict. Playing time is more reasonable, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
Tigris & Euphrates is another classic Euro with a high amount of conflict that just doesn't seem to happen as much any more. (As was El Grande, also suggested in this thread.)

It doesn't have the explore part, but it definitely has expand and conquer, with a bunch of conflict. Playing time is more reasonable, too.

This is a tough question. To me, Blood Rage has some Euro elements, but is really not very Euro or civ. Kemet is a 1x game, although you can explore some of the tech tree. Cyclades is a little better in these regards. As for Royals and El Grande, El Grande is clearly better, but is in no way related to Eclipse. It is just a Euro with some conflict.

Shogun is a good choice for a Euro game with some fun fighting and area control mechanics. However, although you do get to spread out over the map, the buildings are really just for victory points. A great game, but may not be what you are looking for. It has the benefit of clocking in around 3 hours for 4-5 players though.

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery might be one to consider, although it lacks much of an economic engine. Imperial is a really neat economic game where you also get to do a little bit of fighting, albeit determinative one-for-one combat.

I have never played the Archipelago: War & Peace expansion, but that might work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I had a chance to playtest Mare Nostrum: Empires which will be releasing soon. No exploring, but has a neat trading aspect, conflict and expansion, and you really can play a 5 player game in 90 minutes. It might be what you are looking for till Scythe comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
A small card 4x with a space setting is Impulse. I'm not saying it's solution for you but I think you might enjoy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
A small card 4x with a space setting is Impulse. I'm not saying it's solution for you but I think you might enjoy it

Impulse is quite fun once you break the learning curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Worker placements with conflict:

Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Mecanisburgo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Wapstra
Netherlands
Steenwijk
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

cool must be: Dominant Species

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Plus 1 dominant species. Very euro, highly confrontational. No random Cindy line eclipse though (combat is eclipses weakest point IMO, foot such a precise game roll some dice and hope for 6 is lame).

El grande is also very confrontational, without combat. We laughed our way through our first game this weekend.

Random tech draws make it far from a precise game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a real person wrote:
The correct answer is:

Hyperborea

Was going to post this. Excellent game. I like it better than eclipse. Plays faster and a lot more strategy IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galactic Emperor is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage & Kemet would be my choices, though I did recently order Empires: Age of Discovery and should get it this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
Also take a look at Antike II. It is lighter than true 4X games, but gives a similar feel with shorter, quicker play and much easier to learn ruleset.

Agreed.

And as others have pointed out, Mare Nostrum and the anticipated Mare Nostrum: Empires are in the same category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.