GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Black Man keepin' a brutha down rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read some recent session reports of AH solo play, I decided to try a game where I ignored the gates and just armed my investigator to the teeth for the final battle with the GOO.

Because I wanted to have a well-armed investigator, I chose my Investigator, finally settling on Darrell Simmons for his Encounter-choosing ability and his starting Retainer. I choose the GOO randomly, and picked Nyarlahotep. gulp

The game started on a very auspicious note, when during the pre-game Mythos phase, I drew "Scientist Warns of Dimensional Rift" and pulled a Dimensional Shambler as my monster. He got placed, moved into the street, and got thrown back into the cup. The Terror Level was at 1 before I even got my first upkeep.

My starting skill was "Speed", so I had an extra movement point, which made it easy to waltz around town, stopping wherever multiple clue piles were located, picking them up, then choosing the more beneficial of the encounters I would draw. I faced a few monsters, mostly Mi-go's which kept popping back out, but avoided quite a few while hopping from location to location.

By the time the terror level reached 10 (LOTS of gate surges seem to happen with 6-7 open gates cry), I had $25, Enchanted Blade, Shotgun (which was stolen from a sleeping Sheldon Gang member in the Woods), and .18 Derringer and a Bullwhip. I was armed to the teeth, with about 5 clue tokens, and ready to face Nyarlahotep. Then, The Black Man showed up in the Uptown Streets (Damned Sheldon Gang dug up a burial mound), trapping me in the Woods.

Well, I figured that I could handle the Black Man, so I focused my Luck up to 3, and spent a clue token, rolling 3 dice against the Luck (-1) check for the Black Man. I rolled 1, 3 and 4, and was promptly devoured. That late in the game, with the Terror Track at 10, and 6 of the maximum 8 monsters on the board, I knew there was no way to face Nyarlahotep and survive, so I packed it in, and plopped in front of the computer to relate my tale of woe.

Well, the game was fun, even though I seem to have had a long streak of bad luck, beginning even before the dice were first rolled.

On a side note, while I was playing, my wife walked into the kitchen and asked how that could possibly be any fun to play a game by myself. I looked at her squarely, and said, "Do you want to play?" She quickly turned around and went back to her business and left me alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Pollman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
LonelyTroll wrote:

On a side note, while I was playing, my wife walked into the kitchen and asked how that could possibly be any fun to play a game by myself. I looked at her squarely, and said, "Do you want to play?" She quickly turned around and went back to her business and left me alone.

That truley is funny, I have the luck however that my wife would play , great report btw it does sound fun. I may try a solo game soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try two investigators next time. I believe even the official game rules suggest two when soloing. It's nigh impossible to win with just one, although I've heard people have done it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I could have won with just the one investigator, armed to the teeth as he was, if not for the encounter with The Black Man.

Oh, well... Maybe I'll try another solo session tomorrow morning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try two investigators next time. I believe even the official game rules suggest two when soloing. It's nigh impossible to win with just one, although I've heard people have done it.

I second that emotion. I'm not sure why you'd play solo with a single investigator, unless you as the player had been driven mad by some Mythos-related encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.