Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Help!

I thrifted this Go game yesterday, and I only have 97 white markers. Haven't counted the black. I don't want to return it, because I do like the size of it, and although the markers are plastic, they are not offensive. They are slightly larger than M & M candies, with a matte texture.

I found a forum post saying they had been bought out, but the post used an anacronym for the new owners that I couldn't decipher. And froogling "Go Game" was a nightmare!

Thanks,
Mary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Need GO markers for The Game Keeper board. About 12'" ac
Take a look at:

https://www.yutopian.com/yutop/cat?product=ST001&category=sb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks,

Those particular stones look too large, but this site looks pretty comprehensive. WOW! There is lots to interest me here. (BTW, I docent at the Chinese Garden in Portland, Oregon.)

Mary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
H'm, for a while people were trying to get a regular meeting at the Chinese Garden going, but having to pay to enter was just too much it seems, so it ended up at the Lucky Lab instead.

Do you know about the go club meetings, Mary? I haven't met a Mary at them, but then I haven't met everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Go Club meetings...
No,

I don't know about any gaming groups in Portland. Do you have a link for the Go club? I don't even know the rules for Go. So far, I seem to put my energy into finding games, not playing them. (Though now, that is no excuse.)

About the only thing that I know about Go is that John Conway (a mathematician at Princeton) said that it can't be easily analyzed by game theory. Or rather, I think he said that.

I can see how the admission fee would be a deterrent. However, I am a member of the garden, and my membership allows me to bring in one guest, so this is not a barrier for me. There is a Mah Jongg group (or there used to be, I always intended to join them, but I never have.) However, I think this is mostly members and volunteers of the garden who play together.

How much do I need to learn before participating in the club? Will I find other beginners to play with?

Mary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I found the AGA.

http://www.usgo.org

Even better for local info, I found this site:

http://www.gowiki.org

Do I need to join the chapter, or notify anyone before I attend? Aso, is there any difference betwwen Japanese and Chinese Go?

Mary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just show up at Powell's any Tuesday after about 5PM or 6PM, or show up at the Lucky Lab on a Saturday afternoon, you should find people playing. If you ask around, usually somebody will be willing to teach you, and no, no entrance fee of any kind is required (there are a few tournaments a year, and they do have entrance fees, but that's a bit different).

The main URL for the Oregon clubs is at http://www.oregongo.org/ ; follow the "clubs" link to see the Portland meet info (it pretty much repeats what I said above, though).

Hope to see you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks,

I will put Powell's down on my calendar. I am not sure if I can make it this week but I will try. I also have downloaded the beginner's booklet from the national Go web site.

I am looking forward to it.

Mary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palko
United States
California
flag msg tools

Go by a good arts and crafts store and ask for mosaic marbles. You may have to look around to find exactly what you need but they're a great deal.

Mark Palko
Kruzno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Well, I played 2 games at Powell's tonight. And since I have not yet embarrassed myself by beating my head against the table, to stop it from hurting, shake I plan to go back next week, after my brain cells have cooled off a bit.

Now what would I have done if my Go set was complete? How very irrational (in a logical, Western sense) it is that my incomplete set has given me this opportunity.

Mary

PS When Kim compared playing on the 9 by 9 board to tic-tac-toe, I almost fled the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plantluvver wrote:
Well, I played 2 games at Powell's tonight. And since I have not yet embarrassed myself by beating my head against the table, to stop it from hurting, shake I plan to go back next week, after my brain cells have cooled off a bit.

Now what would I have done if my Go set was complete? How very irrational (in a logical, Western sense) it is that my incomplete set has given me this opportunity.

Mary

PS When Kim compared playing on the 9 by 9 board to tic-tac-toe, I almost fled the room.
Oh! I'm glad to hear you played Kim, she's very helpful. I couldn't make it tonight (had to work late) or I would have been there too. And yes, 9x9 is the tic-tac-toe of go, but it's still fun to play, and the lessons you learn there will make it much easier when you switch to full size. I think that when people go to 19x19 too fast they end up taking longer to get good at go, because you can learn basic tactics so quickly on 9x9, and it takes much longer when the whole board is there to confuse the situation.

Glad you bought an incomplete set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Megrant
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I didn't actually play against Kim, though she gave me a lesson. There were about 4 newbies, including me. Three of us were brand new (to the group).

One of us had a flat tire, cut his hand, and somehow that put him downtown where he ran into someone who told him about the group. I sure am glad that I found an easier path to the group, by buying an incomplete set.

Dinking around with my set will help me train my eye to see the patterns of markers.

I am not sure what my plans are for Saturday, but it may be convenient for me to visit the Lab.

Mary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.