Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Champions of Midgard» Forums » Rules

Subject: Journey with empty boat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game last night a player launched a boat, and then used the Sage's House to peek at the journey card they would face. This changed their mind and they decided not to send any warriors.

Do we still reveal the journey card? Or does the ship just not launch?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd throw the BS flag on that move. Launching an empty boat doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even if you can find a rules loophole.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'd throw the BS flag on that move. Launching an empty boat doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even if you can find a rules loophole.

Boats are launched (in the worker placement phase) before warrior dice are assigned to them, so the move is perfectly fine. I think the journey card is not revealed as the boat doesn't end up encountering the card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
4ntonio wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'd throw the BS flag on that move. Launching an empty boat doesn't make any sense whatsoever, even if you can find a rules loophole.

Boats are launched (in the worker placement phase) before warrior dice are assigned to them, so the move is perfectly fine. I think the journey card is not revealed as the boat doesn't end up encountering the card.


Seems legit to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4ntonio wrote:
I think the journey card is not revealed as the boat doesn't end up encountering the card.


Why wouldn't the boat still encounter the card? The player just rolls zero dice, obviously failing the combat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Because the dice are actual Vikings, not just the vikings weapons. If there are no vikings in the boat, there are no Vikings to report what they saw while riding on said boat.

That's my take on it, at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchellcmiller wrote:
Because the dice are actual Vikings, not just the vikings weapons. If there are no vikings in the boat, there are no Vikings to report what they saw while riding on said boat.

That's my take on it, at least.

Isn't the worker used to launch the ship a viking? They are the one who brings the ship back if all of the warriors die. That sailor could "make the journey".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nugent
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of this game is that the workers are agents for the champions. Assigning a worker to a boat would be similar to an agent booking with the dockmaster the intention to leave harbour, then during the assign viking warriors step, one would be prepping the actual boat. Revealing the journey card symbolizes the actual journey.
Thematically here, one agent went to reserve a launch, another went to the sage to seek oracular advice. Upon conferring later, the seaward journey was cancelled due to foretold doom. The boat never launched, not even prepped for launch, the journey card remains hidden as the journey did not happen.

EDIT: regardless of my above opinion on story, the updated rulebook, available to download in the files section, clearly states on page 10 section 4 A. "If a Longship has been assigned to a distant shore location, the Journey Card is revealed and discarded even if the player ended up assigning no Warriors to the Longship".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.