Subject: Skill Icons on Leaders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael dirrim
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Based on all the images and information released thus far, here is, what I think, is the best working theory for the different colored icons on the Character cards. Let's take them in order that they appear.

White = Recruitment. This is the most controversial suggestion, but note the shape of the blur behind the arrow, it looks like the shape of a character standee. Even more conclusive are the starting four mission cards down in the Lefthand corner of the overview image. Four mission cards, each with a return to hand symbol, each featuring a different color symbol. Only four of the 12 released characters have a white icon, 2 apiece on starting characters. I would be surprised if any other white icons appear. Perhaps specific recruitment missions will appear (to get Luke or Boba Fett out of the pile).

Blue = Espionage. Blue appears on the probe droid mission and the homing beacon mission.

Gold = Influence. Used for terror or diplomacy

Red = Combat. Obvious.

Any other thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really good theory for what the white icon represents and how it is used mechanically. There may simply be a "recruit" recurring mission that requires committing one of those two starting heroes with the recruit ability. It does seem like a light cost to recruit heroes, though, and it also seems like you would want to recruit every turn but would only have two choices of characters to use for the mission. So there is probably more to it than just this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dirrim
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I would think that you would still have to roll a "success" on a recruitment mission. With Han you might have to pay him a lot of credits as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Two, related theories for the white icon:

(1) It's the ability to put a new hero in play. However! I think the hero cards and the mission cards have the same backs. So maybe they're shuffled together. You can only put a hero in play when you draw the hero card, and it has to be someone with the white icon which puts them in play.

(2) It's the ability to draw an extra mission card during the "draw mission cards" phase. (Or, slightly related, regulates the size of your draw hand.

I'd like to see heroes come into the game semi-randomly. If players get a choice about which heroes to put in play, then Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are always going to come out early. That may fit the theme better, but I'm not sure if it fits the gameplay better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dirrim
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
robbbbbb wrote:
Two, related theories for the white icon:

(1) It's the ability to put a new hero in play. However! I think the hero cards and the mission cards have the same backs. So maybe they're shuffled together. You can only put a hero in play when you draw the hero card, and it has to be someone with the white icon which puts them in play.

(2) It's the ability to draw an extra mission card during the "draw mission cards" phase. (Or, slightly related, regulates the size of your draw hand.

I'd like to see heroes come into the game semi-randomly. If players get a choice about which heroes to put in play, then Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are always going to come out early. That may fit the theme better, but I'm not sure if it fits the gameplay better.

As to the backs of the cards. You'll notice on the big map two decks beside the player reference sheets. The Rebel deck is the Millennium Falcon cockpit, and the Imperial deck is a Tie-Fighter cockpit. Also on the backs of both decks is the Medal Icon, the same on every recruited character like wedge and Han and Boba Fett. This Medal icon is missing on the starting eight. I think this clearly indicates a separate deck for recruitment.

I like your idea about drawing extra mission cards... however. It would seem awfully herky jerky to make one of the four skill icons an ability (white) while the other three icons (blue, gold and red) are actual attributes used to resolve missions.

I'm hoping for a planet based recruitment system. Do you want to recruit Ackbar? Go to Mon Calamari! Do you want to recruit Luke? Go to Tatooine to accomplish that mission. There are 22 populated systems and 10 non-populated. Plenty of area for recruiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My theory:

White - It is simply a 4th mission related symbol.

Recruitment - Is done with the small cards shown in the overview picture. They have a small symbol on their back. It seems to be the same symbol shown on the small track on the left of the game board. Assuming this is the turn track the symbol appears on turns 2,3,4 and 5 - which would lead to 8 heroes total (4 base + 4 through recruitment). And according to this posting 8 heroes is confirmed as the maximum number used by either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dirrim
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Good catch on the game track and the symbols... I can't make out what they are. I wonder if the designer would reduce recruitment to something as simple as drawing a card, and getting whoever you draw, or if the card you draw functions as a possible target for a mission card.

You may have to send your leader with the white icon to a certain location specified on the recruitment card and use a mission card to attempt a recruitment. No guarantee of success.

Also, a max of 8 leaders is confirmed, but what happens if your leaders die? Can you recruit more? If you're only given 4 recruitment cards, and no replacements, it would seem the game becomes a simple equation of who can kill off/capture each other's leaders best and when they have less actions with less leaders their defeat is certain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the symbol is a medal (like the pilot skill symbol in X-Wing) and I think you are correct in that the icon is on the card stack and on the round track, so that probably means as you suggested, that you recruit a leader then.

This would also mean that any captured or killed leader are probably not replaced. Maybe there will be cards that bring additional leaders into play as there will be cards to free captured leaders or turn characters to the other side.
I would guess that you draw two character cards and choose one. That way you would have 4 leaders in play at the start and 8 more in the stack. You could draw two leaders each of the four times they can be recruited. It would just fit in with the number of leaders...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly King
msg tools
The numbers in the corners of the tokens seem to represent combat values for Space (blue) stage and Ground (orange) stage, at least as far as I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.