Subject: Three Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any consensus upon whether groups (not 5-card sequences) of like numbered cards in combat quests should/must be played in ascending order, (lowest number group first and so on), and also, must one complete group of 2 or three cards be played before the next group can be started?

The other question is: Can you, in the Grail quest, "Merlin" away only the very last despair card played or can you, once it has been removed, "Merlin" away the next in line; it somehow becoming the last black card played that is active at the present moment?

And just to be certain, Arthur's special power can be played in any turn in addition to his other two phases, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played that the cards in these non-sequential combat quests can be played in any order. So you could complete the Lancelot quest by playing 5-3-3-5-3.
As far as using Merlin to remove the standard black cards, we play that once a second black has been played, the first can no longer be removed even if the second is removed.
Arthur's special power can only be played in his Heroic Action phase (of his turn). The rules are clear on this.
Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the subject line for this thread be "Questions Three?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
freduk wrote:
We have played that the cards in these non-sequential combat quests can be played in any order. So you could complete the Lancelot quest by playing 5-3-3-5-3.

Right.
There's no necessity to follow any particular order of any sort.

freduk wrote:
As far as using Merlin to remove the standard black cards, we play that once a second black has been played, the first can no longer be removed even if the second is removed.

Wrong.
As long as a black card is "the last currently on the Quest", it can be discarded by a "Merlin". So effectively a sequence of "Merlin"s can discard several black cards on the same Quest.
Note that in the case of the Grail, "Merlin" can't discard a "Desolation" if that is the last black card played on the Quest, since "Desolation" is a Special Black Card: either it is countered by three "Merlin"s when drawn, or it takes effect (and is no longer affected by "Merlin").

freduk wrote:
Arthur's special power can only be played in his Heroic Action phase (of his turn). The rules are clear on this.

Right.
Note that he can use his power either before or after doing his Heroic Action (or even after he spends a Life Point to perform a second action, if so he wishes).

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the xtra info on the desolation card. We even allowed it's removal after the dark forest special was in effect. I suppose that even makes greater the crime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
paul11 wrote:
Merlin- it says he can cancel the last card played in any quest, does that mean he can get rid of a pict or saxon? or move excalibur closer?

A "Merlin" can remove a Pict or Saxon, but cannot affect Excalibur in any way.
From the Book of Quests, page 15: The player of this card [Merlin] may use it, during his turn, to: remove 1 Siege Engine from Camelot, back into Reserve; or remove the last Standard Black card played on any Quest of his choice (i.e. the last Combat card played on the Black Knight, Lancelot or the Dragon, or the last Despair card played on the Grail); or remove one warrior from the War Quest (Saxon or Pict) of his choice.

paul11 wrote:
Heroic acts- is drawing and fighting in camelot one?

In Camelot you either draw or combat (and you cannot do both in the same turn, nor even paying one Life Point, since they are considered the same kind of action: "questing". In fact you cannot play the last card on a Quest and, being brought back to Camelot since you're victorious, pay one Life to draw or combat, since you've already used "questing" as an action. You may only play a Special Card, move or accuse someone. Or heal, but that'd be quite stupid as an extra action...).

paul11 wrote:
can i move from a quest to camelot, burn a life point, then draw?

Yes, because you're doing two DIFFERENT actions: Moving and Questing (that in Camelot means either draw or combat).

paul11 wrote:
--or (say i'm tristan) fight a tank, move to a quest for free, burn a point, then play a card?

No, as explained above (fighting a Catapult and playing a non-Special card on a quest are both the same kind of action).

paul11 wrote:
communication- we just can't ask straight up what someone has or needs right? but i can still be like "hey someone should come throw cards in the water with me before the sword goes to the dark side." or "make yourself usefull and kill tanks stupid."

Where to draw the line is up to you. Note that if you talk too much, the game will be extremely easy. But if you stay mute, it loses much of the fun.
Thus, try to find a middle ground with your mates that makes everyone happy (your examples seem fine to me).

paul11 wrote:
knights- any opinions on which ones are best/worse?

Of course, but I'm not going to tell you them. Yet.
Play the game and enjoy it (and discover it for yourself), then we'll talk about opinions on this and that. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.