Vampire Hunter» Forums » Reviews

Subject: You're a Bad Parent if your 8 year old boy doesn't have this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is total chrome, without almost nothing under the hood.

Not denying it.

But man is it beautiful.

The game is essentially a short dungeon crawl game (ala the nostagically praised "Dungeon" by TSR) with a specific objective: kill the vampire "Drackus" before he can escape on his boat. You and your team have to make your way to the crypt gathering necessary weapons to defeat Drackus along the way...before his ship arrives to wisk him away.

The chief gimmick is that you play solely by the light of the tower, which as it switches from night to day (blue to red)changes the cards and spots on the map. Harmless villagers in the day become werewolves to be deafeted at night. Secret passages or traps may appear with the change of light as well. This gimick works exactly as it is intended. Nothing is hard to read or understand. Just pretty.

Combat is resolved by rolling one of the dice, and you either win or lose with one hit (excepting Drackus). Losing means you have to go back to the beginning of one of the small areas, so it's not too traumatic.

It's a cooperative game, where although someone is the "winner" by dealing the last blow to Drackus, in that are essentially working as a team to wear him down. There are no "team decisions" to be made or anything like that, but everyone loses if the ship reaches Drackus, so people keep rooting eachother on, at least until someone reaches the crypt (at which point Drackus can no longer escape).

That's really more than you need to know though. It was fun to run through once as an adult, and if I had more room, I'd hold onto it until my nephew was older, but as a kidI could see myself playing this solo for hours.

Better yet, it's cheap all over Ebay.

Yes, it's essentially roll and move, but this would have engaged my imagination like nobody's business 25 years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: You're a Bad Parent if your 8 year old boy doesn't have
You may want to add this game to my Future Nostalgia list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18147

This list is for people to post games they feel, when their kids grow up, they will ook back at fondly. Sounds like Vampire Hunter would fit this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: You're a Bad Parent if your 8 year old boy doesn't have
Am I a bad parent if my eight year old daughter doesn't have this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as she has a copy of Midnight/Ghost Party, you're doing fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mellybelly mellybelly
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
yes!!! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing this for the first time with my 8 year old son. After he dealt the final blow to Drakus, I asked him what he thought of the game. My son's one word review:"Awesome!"

I immediately thought of this thread and had to reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good dad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enrique aguilar
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
man i bought this game last week for $1 until this night i was looking at it and i fell in love with this thing simply because i love the videogame castlevania this little jewel reminds me of it im a wargamer and dungeon master this game rules, the mini of the older hunter i called him cagliostro the slayerlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flashdim dimflash
msg tools
My wife has a copy of this...still sealed! She got it from her parents long agom they had it in a storage unit, I think. We keep putting off playing it because it says it needs C batteries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flashdim wrote:
My wife has a copy of this...still sealed! She got it from her parents long agom they had it in a storage unit, I think. We keep putting off playing it because it says it needs C batteries!

Halloween is approaching. I hope you finally got a chance to unseal it. My wife did, and she hates playing games! At least this one grabbed her attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.