Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: TimeStories [+] [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
TIME Stories unofficial FAQ (although approved by Space Cowboys, so it is kinda official)

Version 3.0
Paul Grogan of Gaming Rules!
12th April 2019
Latest Update: Added in errata for card 128 in Madame

Note that since publishing this FAQ, a new version of the rulebook has been printed and some of these questions have now been incorporated. However, I am leaving them here in case people haven't seen the new rulebook.

Despite the popularity of the game, there are a number of things in the rulebook which can be easily misinterpreted, and lots of people are asking the same questions, and many groups are playing the game wrong.
Does it matter? To me, yes. I know it is a story driven game, but I still want to play it correctly.

If anyone has anything else they want me to add here, please let me know.

Spoiler Free Rulings

1. Running out of TU
The rulebook says that the run ends immediately when the TU counter hits 0 TU. This is not true when performing actions, but it is true when moving locations.
So, if you are at a location with 1TU left, and you all want to do an action, you can still do this; you get to spend your last TU doing whatever you are doing, and then the run ends right after.
However, if you are moving to a new location and you have 3 TU left, and you roll a 3 on the Time Captain die, then the run ends before you get to select a space and read any cards.
Source: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20711277 and apparently in the German FAQ

Note: I use a 'variant' rule for spending TU, which means that when you choose to do an action, you spend the TU after you have all done an action. Not only does this make for smoother gameplay, if also fixes this "oddity" with the TU hitting zero rule, because with my variant, the rules as printed are correct, and TU is spent after you have performed an action.

2. Declaring Actions and Spending TU - Can I change my mind?
The old rulebook was very misleading. The new rulebook is a lot clearer.

Players now take their actions in whatever order they want to, discussing at any time what to do, and do not have to declare their actions all in advance. This makes for a much better game IMO

Soure: New Rulebook

3. Spending a TU at a location
Arriving at a new location, choosing a space, looking at the card and dealing with all of the effects of that card (as long as they are not skill checks) takes no TU.

Only if the players stay there and perform an action do they spend TU. Or, if they don't stay there, and instead change location, the Time Captain dice is rolled.

Example:
you start a run by moving from the Base to the “Bedroom” and all the players choose cards.
One card says “If you have item 97, then take item 32”.
Another card simply says “take item 56”.
Another card says "If you have <state token> then reveal card G.
None of this takes any TU and when you reveal card G, again, you follow all the text on the card, without having to spend additional TU.

You could then choose to move to a new location, rolling the time dice, having not actually spent any TU at the location.

You only need to spend TU if you stay at the Location and perform an action (skill check, or move to a new space)

Example: If a card gives you two options:
LEFT: If you have Item 12, then reveal card F
RIGHT: Fight! If you win, reveal card G.

If you choose the Left option, this costs no TU, you just do it immediately.
If you choose the Right option, a fight is a check, which requires an action (1 TU), so you do nothing until the group spends a TU to allow everyone to do an action.

4. Changing location due to a card effect - does it cost TU?
Yes. Always. Sometimes, a card text will say: "Now Head to Location 94". You roll the time dice and add 2 if moving from a red location, just as if you had chosen to move there.
Source: New Rulebook

5. TU costs on cards.
You may come across a card which has a TU cost on it. If that cost is the black TU symbol, then the group must lose the TU. Even if thematically it is only one character doing the thing that will cost you TU, it is still the group who loses it, and nobody else can do anything during that TU loss. See Rulebook p.17 - Iconography

6. Do we keep state tokens after they are used?
Yes, the old rulebook is wrong. New Rulebook is correct. They are kept when "used", but they go at the end of a run as normal.

7. Group actions when someone is dead.
Some cards require the whole group to move to them. If one person is dead, then the rest of the group can still move there without them. "The whole group" means "Everyone who is alive"
Source: New rulebook

8. Doing nothing in a test with black shields but no skulls.
The original rulebook is unclear on this. New rulebook is better.

If you decide to do nothing during a test (because, for example, you do not have the required characteristic) and that test has at least one skull shield, your receptacle automatically loses 1 Life Point. The heart, time, and special shields always take effect, even when no skull shields are present.

Source: New Rulebook

9. There is a confusing statement in the rules about revealing sealed cards without having that state token. What does this mean?

First, discard the trigger card (the one that told you to reveal the sealed card.) Then, place the sealed card in the space where the revealing card was. Any receptacles on that space can immediately look at the sealed card. If there is a state token pictured on the sealed card, do not take the state token.

10. Once a sealed card has been revealed, can other receptacles move to that space?
Yes. Although the card will be placed back face down, and it has the seal on the back, the term "reveal" is not the same as "face down". The sealed card has already been revealed, and therefore, the card can be moved to just like any other.

11. When can cards with a do not enter sign be accessed?
They can only be accessed when you're told to do so. Doing what's printed on it is not enough.
This happens in Marcy case:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Marcy Case, Hotel, rightmost card

12. If a card effect triggers when it is revealed, what does “reveal mean”?
Reveal does not mean every time you turn the card over, just the first time that it is looked at by players. It is still considered "revealed", even if the actual card is placed back face down and then later looked at again.

13. What is the most number of dice I can use in a test?
Some items may add to the dice you can roll, but no matter how many bonuses you get, the most dice you can ever roll is 6.

14. When two characters do a skill test at the same space, are their dice rolls combined?
No. Each character takes their action in order, so their skill checks are seperate.

15. Are other possessions tradeable like items?
Yes, the same rule for items is used for all other possessions (resource tokens)

16. Can more than one player gain the bonus for an item?
Not on the same TU. Items can be passed around if players are at the same space. This can be done before, or after a players action. However, no more than 1 character can gain a bonus from an item in the same TU.
Therefore, if I have a magical spoon that gives +2 to "making a cup of coffee", and I use it on my turn, I can still pass the item to you, but you cannot get the bonus on the same TU.

17. What does it mean when a character has an ability that costs 1 TU
This means it is the characters action. The group spends the TU, and then the character with this ability uses their own action on that TU.

18. When does a test reset?
Unfortunately, this mistake was not fixed in v1.1 of the rulebook (sorry folks).
A test resets only when you leave a location, not leave the space.

19. Are Item cards kept secret
Unless it says otherwise, all Item cards gained should be kept face up and be available to all players. In fact, it is strongly recommended that you look closely at Items that other players have in case they missed something important on them.

ASYLUM RULINGS

AS1. What happens if we all die on run 3
This is not covered in the rules of the case. When the last receptacle dies, move the TU marker down 7 spaces, recover all pawns from the TU track and continue the run.

(This could mean a receptacle takes 13 TUs to reintegrate if it died 6 TUs before the final receptacle's death.

AS2. How does Eugene work (One of the receptacles)? Does entering a location count as moving.
The rulebook is not clear here, as it does not mention "moving" when entering a location, and there is a specific game term for "moving" later, but the German FAQ again has the answer.
Also: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1475513/eugene-again
Entering a location and placing Eugene on a space on his own does cost 1 TU.

MARCY CASE RULINGS

MC1.Can you fight with bare hands?
There have been a few threads on this, and I'm avoiding them due to spoilers. However, right at the start of the scenario is when this question crops up.
This thread has Mr Poulpe stating that hand-to-hand combat is possible without a weapon (contrary, I believe, to the implication otherwise on the Base card).

Confirmed by François Doucet at Space Cowboys regarding starting weapons for The Marcy Case:

"Agents are considered to have a weapon at hand. For hand-to-hand combat, they don't need ammo and therefore can use their fighting ability."

MC2.When are noise tokens removed?
They are only removed when street encounters are resolved.

MC3. Can Bullets and Medi-kit be exchanged like items?
Yes

MC4. How many weapons can a player use in a test?
Each player may only use one weapon in each test (unless stated otherwise) but can carry many and change every test. Source: German FAQ.

MC5. Misprint on Item 25. English/German/French card
It states to remove two life points from an enemy, instead you should remove two shields.

MC6. If an item requires one token to activate but you need to place two elsewhere, where do you take the second one from?
The general supply.

MC7. Do you have to spend TU to do actions on a street card (like everywhere else)?
Yes

PROPHECY OF DRAGONS RULINGS

POD1. Can gold and herbs be swapped between the characters?
Yes, they can be traded between characters using the same rule as for trading items.
Source: I've confirmed this with Space Cowboys and will add it as a general rule rather than scenario specific.

POD2. Can Lyara use her sneak attack ability when there are other characters with her and her brother?
The english wording is a bit ambiguous and could be read both ways. However, I have had it officially confirmed that it only works when she is alone, or with her brother (and only with her brother).

POD3. How do Myram's spells work?
The card is wrong and needs errata. All spells should say "or more" next to the result icon.

Eg: Mystic Bolt. 1* or more: Remove 2 shields from your space.
i.e. Not Remove 2 shields for each * rolled.

POD4. Does Guillem's robbery ability cost TU to use? Do you add a neutral token even if Guillem's robbery attempt is successful?
New ruling: No - Using his ability does NOT costs TU.

A token is only added when the robbery attempt fails. The english card text is unclear on this and is missing the words "If the attempt fails, " before "place a neutral token on this card."

POD 5. What happens after Item 7 has been taken? Do you continue to track future robbery attempts? Are the neutral tokens cleared?
The official answer is that Item 10 needs some errata.
It should say that Guillem can not attempt future robberies (reversal of previous ruling)
Item 10 stays in play for the run, and the "we have to escape" challenge happens every time a skull is rolled when moving

POD 6. How does Finnock's spells work?
Chef's Bouquet I think is also a typo, like Myrams, and it should read
1* or more: Remove 2 shields from your space.

Support is also not an action to use, so as long as Finnock has the brown tokens, he can support as many other characters as he wants in a round, as well as taking an action himself.

POD 7. How can we get to the left space of the Dragon Inn? (Not really a spoiler).
The card should be read that you need (Character A OR Character B) AND the Item.

POD 8. Are random encounters removed from the deck after they have been seen or shuffled back in?
They are removed from the deck. Each random encounter can only happen once in each run.

POD 9. Important information when you go to the Market is here!
Read the market cards carefully. They tell you to take Items X to Y, not items X and Y. You take all the items between those numbers. Lots of people have made this mistake it seems.

POD 10. How does Location 2 work? Read this when you get to Location 2.
The instructions on card 121 are fairly clear. You shuffle the 3 "?" cards and place them on B, C, D and then reveal them. Then, after looking at the cards, you pick a route through and then have to pass the tests one by one.

What isn't clear is that you start as a group on the left space and do not have to spend a TU to move from one card to the next, and you move as a group. This is a reversal from v1.xx of the FAQ.

Only Guillem and Lyara may attempt the tests, but they can both attempt the test as per normal rules on multiple characters doing a test.
Doing a test costs a TU as normal.

Note: If you have the lockpicking kit, this bypasses the need for the test, do you don't spend any TU when using this kit of the doors indicated.

POD 11. How does Location 6 work? Read this when you get to Location 6.
Any character immobilized must choose the "do nothing" action. And because there is a skull on the test, they lose 1 life. This is what the wording on the "A" card means - you do not lose extra life because of the wording on the card, it is there just to remind you that you lose a life for not doing anything on the space.

POD 12. Read this when you get Item 19
This item should say "Keep this card, because you never know..."

RULING FOR THE MYSTERY DECK (All Spoilers)

POD 12. How do you setup the Vortex and Encounter cards?
Card 147 is missing important wording saying that you should shuffle the vortex and encounter cards when placing them on the codex. I have now had this confirmed by Space Cowboys.

POD 13. Do we draw an encounter card when we roll a 1 or 3 on the Time Captain dice?
No. The encounter cards in the castle are not the same as the encounter cards in the city. You do not draw them when you are in the castle itself when you roll the Time Captain dice. You only draw them when instructed to do so.
in the dungeon.

UNDER THE MASK RULINGS

UTM1. Character Tefnout - Is the Aura of Ra be used before or after rolling the dice?
Before. They can pre-choose the result and not roll it

UTM2. Character Nefret - Can the Support of Ra be used on herself?
No, special abilities do not work when you are dead.

UTM3. Read this when you fail the mission for the first time because of running out of TU
Does the ITD refresh each run?
Yes. This is not clear. It says to follow Base card H again, but it is Base card G that tells you about the ITD.

UTM4. Typos - do not affect play
Temple of Amun-Ra is spelt incorrectly on most of the cards (Amon-Ra)
Card 9 should say "arrival" and not "arriving"

UTM5. Read this when you are at Entrance to Set-Maat - E (card 83)
Do you avoid the fight if anyone in the group has the archer symbol, no matter where they are
Yes. It should say "But if one of the groups receptacles..."

UTM6. Read this when you are at Location 20-B (card 117)
How do you track when a player succeeds?
However you like What we did was to move the pawn from the space above the card to on the card itself.

UTM7. Read this when you get to Location 20-E (card 120)
The bottom part of the card is misleading. If the two character are in the party, you take item 29. And then (whether you have 29 or not), you do the test to go to location 25

UTM8. Read this when you get to Location 25 (card 126)
Is it 1TU per attempt?
Yes

EXPEDITION ENDURANCE

EE1. Character Fenrir - How does it work with Fenrir not being able to read?
The player can pick up cards, and read the game text on them, but if there is any actual text within an image, it cannot be read - and the player should avoid reading it. For example: The player should say something like "There's a book on the table with stuff in it, but I cant read it." - remember - the agents are in telepathic contact with each other, so the player does not have to spend the whole game barking and woofing.

EE2. Character Peter Edwards - Does his ability apply to the whole test, or just one roll?
The whole test

EE3. Insanity cards - Read this the first time someone gets one
Can a player who is insane do any other Traumatizing Events?
Yes and No. There are no rules to say that they no longer do these tests, but since failing the test loses them a brown token, and they can no longer lose any brown tokens, there is no need to do the test.
Each insanity can get worse, and the card specifically states how this happens.

EE4. In the German version, when you fail a mission, the card says to keep the cards with the map. Do I keep all map cards or just the ones with the Agency logo?
Only the ones with the Agency logo as normal.

EE5. Item 30 - Read this when you get this card.
How do you use her ability?
The text above the green box is flavour only. When it says "using the same method you used when you saved her" does not mean that you literally have to go through that process again. The text in the box below which tells you that you need to spend 1 TU is correct - that spending of 1 TU simulates the tests you had to do previously.

EE6. Item 21 - Read this when you get this card.
What does the alcohol do?
The alcohol allows you to return a players insanity card back to CODEX 1. You then shuffle CODEX 1

EE7. Are Locations 3 and 4 mixed up?
Yes. This is ok in the German version and should be fixed in future printings.
Location 3 is the Snowdrifts, and Location 4 is the Ice Floe. But when you go to Location 3, you get the text for the Snowdrifts and vice versa. It's doesnt really make that much of a difference.

EE8. Location 8-B - Read this when you are at this location.
When can you move off this space?
You cannot leave this space until the test on card C has been completed.

LUMEN FIDEI

LF1. If you are in Chapter III and you reach a point where you cannot proceed any further and appear to be "stuck", this may help (Card 124 needs errata)
Due to specific choices you might have made in the scenario, you may end up in a situation where you can’t enter an important location. This is due to a missing text on card 124 (Location 13, card B). At the bottom of the card, it should say "Take Item 14 if you don’t have it yet."

LF2. If you are still stuck, this series of clues may help you:
If you have a series of numbers, this is a puzzle that you need to solve.

If you already know that and are having trouble solving it:

The number sequence must be combines with the clue text which says “the verses of Ibn al-Jatib will allow you to find the right place.” Dont forget about the 5th digit.

If you are still stuck:

Location 14 has some text written on the wall, which it says is “A poem by Ibn Al-Jatib”

And if you still can't work it out:

Use the numbers on the poem (taking the 10th letter, then counting another 5, then another 4, etc), it spells something out. This is what you need to do.

MADAME

MAD1. When you reach the location named The Groves and enter C card (nr.128), there is a typo on the card

It says “you can move 5 spaces”, and it should read “you can make 5 moves”.

• [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tudor
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Unofficial FAQ
A couple of questions that came up in our game:

What happens when you are forced to move location. The rules as written only cover what happens when you choose to move location, not what happens when you are forced to change location based on a card effect.

If a card requires you to spend multiple TUs to complete a task, what happens to the other players? Are they forced to also loose the TU or can they take other actions in the meantime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that every time you change location, you roll the time dice. Cant remember where I read it, but I will add it to the FAQ.

TU: There is a difference between blue TU cost and black TU cost. Black means the group loses it. Again, cant remember where I read this, but it was on these forums

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
TU: There is a difference between blue TU cost and black TU cost. Black means the group loses it. Again, cant remember where I read this, but it was on these forums
See page 17, Iconography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your # 2 definitely would change things. How did you find out you could do things one at a time then choose since as you point out the rules says the opposite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
Your # 2 definitely would change things. How did you find out you could do things one at a time then choose since as you point out the rules says the opposite?
It's in the thread I mentioned. I was looking for answers to other questions and came across this!
And yes, it is a huge change, makes a big difference, and I agree that the rulebook says the opposite thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horatio Q
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea. I think you should include open questions as well as answered ones.

In Asylum,

it is possible to fail the third run by taking part in the ritual and drawing the red fail card. How does scoring work? People have said no score, you've failed - but this should be checked and put in the UFAQ.

Also, this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1475130/some-questions-abou...

There seems to be a consensus that if the test has a lock on it (and you can't run away) then the black shield effects happen with or without skulls. However, I would not call this answered as the rules don't explicitly say what to do either way, and other ways of interpreting this rule also make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet covered UFAQ's from the German FAQ.

- The rule says: A state token is kept until it is used. (Page 14)
The German FAQ states that you only lose a state token if the game tells you to.

- If a receptacle dies then all the living do count as the whole group in case a card requires the whole group to be present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
txnull wrote:
Not yet covered UFAQ's from the German FAQ.

- The rule says: A state token is kept until it is used. (Page 14)
The German FAQ states that you only lose a state token if the game tells you to.
I just added that this morning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HoratioQ wrote:
Also, this thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1475130/some-questions-abou...

There seems to be a consensus that if the test has a lock on it (and you can't run away) then the black shield effects happen with or without skulls. However, I would not call this answered as the rules don't explicitly say what to do either way, and other ways of interpreting this rule also make sense.
Here's the text from the blue callout box on page 12 (which is repeated on page 18 as the seventh "rule" under "The rules you'll forget"):

The rule book wrote:
"Important: If you decide to do nothing during a test (because, for example, you do not have the required characteristic) and that test has at least one skull shield, your receptacle automatically loses 1 Life Point and the heart, time, and special shields take effect normally."
Because the word "normally" is attached to the black shields, I infer from this that the presence of a skull causes a Life Point loss, but any black shields present always activate, skull or no skull; I can easily imagine tests where there are black shields without any need for skulls. However, the wording seems to imply that a skull must be present to cause black shields to activate. In my opinion the sentence may have suffered translation blues, at the very least, it is missing either a comma (...loses 1 Life Point, and the heart...) or a complete full stop (...loses 1 Life Point. The heart...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this - very useful. One request: Could you qualify what kind of spoilers the 'asylum rulings' are and/or when players should look at them? As it stands I have no idea when or if to click on those spoiler boxes, so they aren't much use. It could be they say 'on every dice roll in Asylum you need to...' in which case I need to look right at the start, or perhaps they say 'When you get to the attic at the end of the scenario and are carrying item 12 and 8 you need to...' and if I look at the start I will spoil loads of stuff later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure Paul will be here to amend the spoilers soon, in the meantime...

1 if all agents are dead in run 3.

2 clarification of receptacle Eugene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent initiative.

For the Marcy case, I had two questions that could added to the FAQ. Maybe these issues only raises from the french version.

* You can fight with bare hands.

* Noise tokens are only removed when street encounters are resolved.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whitescar wrote:
Thanks for this - very useful. One request: Could you qualify what kind of spoilers the 'asylum rulings' are and/or when players should look at them?
A good point. I've changed the text as I don't think it gives anything away really. The receptacles are chosen at the start of the game, so rulings about them I think is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amikezor wrote:
For the Marcy case, I had two questions that could added to the FAQ. Maybe these issues only raises from the french version.

That's very interesting (and validates some decisions my group made), but, where is it clarified?

The English text in the Base emphasises an agent must have a weapon to fight, and also states that agents start with handguns, thereby implying they don't start with anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
amikezor wrote:

That's very interesting (and validates some decisions my group made), but, where is it clarified?

The English text in the Base emphasises an agent must have a weapon to fight, and also states that agents start with handguns, thereby implying they don't start with anything else.
That is the same confusing sentence in the french version. Though, what happen if you don't have a bullet and are involved in a fight? You cannot roll the die, so no fight? That would make no sense. Automatic loss? Harsh, especially considering there is always a fight-back in close combat.

Here are two threads where there was some discussion about it and a word from Mr Poulpe (who works at Space Cowboys from what I guessed): http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1468575/fights
and
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462715/fighting-melee-possi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amikezor wrote:
Scooperman wrote:
amikezor wrote:

That is the same confusing sentence in the french version. Though, what happen if you don't have a bullet and are involved in a fight? You cannot roll the die, so no fight? That would make no sense. Automatic loss? Harsh, especially considering there is always a fight-back in close combat.

Here are two threads where there was some discussion about it and a word from Mr Poulpe (who works at Space Cowboys from what I guessed): http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1468575/fights
and
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1462715/fighting-melee-possi...
Thanks Guillaume.

I don't have an issue with an agent being unable to fight, that's no different than an agent being unable to pass a communication test through a lack of debate skills, and I think the auto-riposte only triggers when rolling a melee test, while doing nothing (other than running around) doesn't activate the skull, that is, an agent must actively engage with an opponent to risk the riposte.

Paul, the second thread above does indeed have Mr Poulpe stating that hand-to-hand combat is possible without a weapon (contrary, I believe, to the implication otherwise on the Base card), and should be in the UFAQ under a section for The Marcy Case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
2. Declaring Actions and Spending TU
According to this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1477426/spend-tu-and-act-qu... it seems that the rulebook is very misleading on page 9 which indicates that players must DECIDE on what action to do, and then after the TU is spent, they carry out the action they have CHOSEN.
However, it seems this is not correct and you can actually change your mind on which action to perform after another player has done their action. To me, this is the opposite of what the rules say
I think I'm with you on this one. The rules appear to state that everyone decides on what they're doing, the Time Captain spends the TU and then everyone does their action.

It's like the old Final Fantasy games. Fighter targets Monster A, Thief targets Monster A. Fighter kills Monster A with first hit. Thief swings at the empty space where Monster A was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The printable version seems to be not up to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
The printable version seems to be not up to date.
working on it right now...
EDIT: Done. Link updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul

Re point 2, if there is no clarification soon, which do you think is the best approach for a workable game....to the rules or changing actions.

I've not opened the game yet but might do soon. The rules structure sounds to be clear from what has been posted....declared actions are fixed...but does that make the game too hard ?

Thanks

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian, go with actions are changeable, according to the linked thread this is confirmed.

Staying with the rules as written doesn't make the game "harder", just that you'll consume more TUs overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

if you decide to add a section on Marcy case, may I suggest also to add the following points. Although, I have no backup for the first, it seems thematically correct.

* Bullets and Medi-kit can be exchanged like items. (cannot find the appropriate thread)

* About grenades
The symbol on the grenade should be a shield, so grenades remove 2 shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horatio Q
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for Marcy (we just finished playing it):

The weapons only modify your base stats. You do not need a weapon equipped in order to fight. The rules are bit misleading on this. Obvious once you start playing, but very confusing in the first area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to read much about the Marcy case spoilers until I have played the case myself. But if someone is happy to put together some spoiler free answers for Marcy and send them to me, to help me in my play through, that would be most appreciated.

Note that rules relating to things that come up on receptacles or the base cards I am not treating as spoilers personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [21] |