Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the point of receiving auto shields (+2) by using the rest action? It seems like they wouldn't do anything as the only time I need shields is when I'm attacking. I swear I must be missing something. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If you have a bunch of readied enemies engaged with you, you could easily end up taking more damage than you heal by resting (if they roll lots of attacks).

The shields are there to protect you from that happening.

It sounds like maybe what you are missing is that you roll black dice for whatever action you take, not just attacks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jensen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I thought the exact same thing about the bonus defense when resting. After a few rounds we know something couldn't be right with how we were playing.

It took a reread of the rules before it clicked what we were doing wrong.

On page 4 under Gathering Dice:
"The active hero gathers one white die for each die icon that appears after an action's name.

Then, the active hero gathers one black die for each readied enemy with which he is engaged."

We were only rolling the black dice for engaged enemies when we used our attack action. But, black dice for enagaged enemies are rolled during any action: explore, rest, aid, or attack. That quickly ramped up the difficulty and made that +2 defense for the auto-shield very valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Minnigh
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well crap.

Yeah that is totally what we were doing. It was STILL pretty hard as I almost died. We definitely would have lost had we played it like that. Dang.

Ok so roll black dice every time I do an action and whimper like a little grot.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.