Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have elder sign with one of the expansion and I quite like the game even if it's more puzzle like game than theme oriented.

Now I found the Elder Sign app on sale, and I thought it could be a good thing to get it as it would allow me to play the game anywhere without pulling out the whole game. I checked the comments, besides complains about difficulty, nothing seems wrong. The base game is challenging after all but not impossible ...

So I bought the app fortunately on sale on black friday and now I understood why people complained so much about the difficulty... They litterally screwed up the rules.

The main rule modification which "thematically" makes sense is removing the possibility to see the task requirements and the terror/midnight effects on the mission cards. Part of the strategy of the game is to evaluate the difficulty of the task. By removing that, not only it removes part of the strategy, but also makes the game very hard because it was not designed to be played this way. I like the idea of surprise to go on a mission, but make the challenge easier.

There are also a lot of tiny rules that they did not consider in their implementation, or that I did not find how to do it. You don't seem to be able to focus dice on other characters in the same location, which makes teamwork impossible. Spells that locks dice is supposed to lock it until used, even if by another player, but in the app they are lost. When a character dies, it does not get replaced. Which makes playing 4 characters mandatory.

So is it me or did they really screwed things up?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a totally awesome App, it's just not an direct port of the game. And I don't think that they claim that it is. They even provide a clue in the name (I.e. it's not the name of the game or an expansion).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Um... Almost everything you said is "missing" is actually in the app. You can look at each objective before you attempt it by tapping the obj, the tap the title bar at the top.

You can save dice to people at your location by dragging the side to their icon to the right when you're attempting an objective.

Only certain spell locks are usable by other players.

Getting a new character whe one dies? I've never played the physical game this way. Is that a house rule?

The apps dlc has some really cool events in them. Try Cthulhu's, it adds entirely new mechanics half way through that I wish the physical game had.

Only thing that's really missing from the app is choosing where monsters spawn & fighting the old one once he awakens.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
Getting a new character whe one dies? I've never played the physical game this way. Is that a house rule?


It's in the rules. In the physical game, the intent is that each player has an investigator. Being able to get a new investigator after being devoured means that there's no player elimination (unless it's in the final battle, which doesn't matter because the game is about to end anyway). In the app, it's intended to be a solo experience, so losing an investigator doesn't mean a player has nothing to do for the rest of the game.

larienna wrote:
When a character dies, it does not get replaced. Which makes playing 4 characters mandatory.


I actually find it much easier to play the app with only two investigators. Each investigator gets more items, spells, etc. in less time (because their turns come up faster) and they accumulate trophies more quickly to buy elder signs.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
Avatar
mb
Tikatoy wrote:
I actually find it much easier to play the app with only two investigators. Each investigator gets more items, spells, etc. in less time (because their turns come up faster) and they accumulate trophies more quickly to buy elder signs.


Yup. Try soloing Jenny with the app, you'll win 99.99% of the times
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some differences between the app and the boardgame, but overall the app is much better. It's not boring and too easy. Gates of Arkham is better than the app though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
...
Only certain spell locks are usable by other players.



That's not true in the physical game. The rules in the physical game specify that if you lock a die with a spell (referring to the generic spell lock cards) and you don't otherwise use the die on your turn that die stays locked on the spell until either someone uses it or you intentionally release it on your turn. The app is different, it automatically discards the spell locks at the end of the turn and releases the dice.

It's not a big difference but I have seen it come into play a few times in the physical version where one player uses a spell to lock a Scroll, for instance, and the next player uses that locked scroll on their turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
juujoo wrote:
There are some differences between the app and the boardgame, but overall the app is much better. It's not boring and too easy. Gates of Arkham is better than the app though.


I really wish they would add gates to the app.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Um... Almost everything you said is "missing" is actually in the app. You can look at each objective before you attempt it by tapping the obj, the tap the title bar at the top.


I tried a new game and I found it.My survival chances now increased by 50%.

Quote:

You can save dice to people at your location by dragging the side to their icon to the right when you're attempting an objective.


I knew that, but I think I was not able to do it for allies. I'll have to check it out.

Quote:

The apps dlc has some really cool events in them. Try Cthulhu's, it adds entirely new mechanics half way through that I wish the physical game had.


Yes it seems that each ancient has a mythos and monster setup of it's own which makes it look like the arkham horror scenarios. I pretty like the idea.

Quote:
Only thing that's really missing from the app is choosing where monsters spawn & fighting the old one once he awakens.


I imagine spawn location is actually hidden information, else it's chosen randomly. Make sense but was not feasable in the board game without player intervention. As for not battling the ancient one, It does not bother me much. In fact I might like it better this way.

Quote:
I actually find it much easier to play the app with only two investigators. Each investigator gets more items, spells, etc. in less time (because their turns come up faster) and they accumulate trophies more quickly to buy elder signs.


Maybe, but the total amount of Health/Sanity you have is much lower with only 2 characters, so you can soak less damage. but it's true that if you fail few missions, you won't recieve much damage. If you have new characters and some become paper weight, you are stuck with them.

Quote:

It's not a big difference but I have seen it come into play a few times in the physical version where one player uses a spell to lock a Scroll, for instance, and the next player uses that locked scroll on their turn.


It's very useful when 2 investigators are teaming on the same task. You gain additional lock from allies and spells.

Quote:
I really wish they would add gates to the app.


I did not try the gates of arkham, did not like the idea of visiting arkham's place. It would have been interesting to include the few fixes that came with Unseen forces like the services available at the entrance for examples.

OK, so in general, finding how to view mission objectives greatly helped to make the game playable and I am enjoying it better now. Thanks for the help, I knew there was something I did wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
Avatar
mb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
It's not a big difference but I have seen it come into play a few times in the physical version where one player uses a spell to lock a Scroll, for instance, and the next player uses that locked scroll on their turn.

It's very useful when 2 investigators are teaming on the same task. You gain additional lock from allies and spells.


The real bonus granted by the spells in the core game is that you may secure (please, "lock" is something else) even the yellow or red die, basically granting an additional result to fellow investigator not able to roll that die. Specifically, securing a wild result on a spell is probably the most potent combo in the game
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm! interesting, I never considered that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
larienna wrote:
Quote:
It's not a big difference but I have seen it come into play a few times in the physical version where one player uses a spell to lock a Scroll, for instance, and the next player uses that locked scroll on their turn.

It's very useful when 2 investigators are teaming on the same task. You gain additional lock from allies and spells.


The real bonus granted by the spells in the core game is that you may secure (please, "lock" is something else) even the yellow or red die, basically granting an additional result to fellow investigator not able to roll that die. Specifically, securing a wild result on a spell is probably the most potent combo in the game


It's funny, I never thought of intentionally locking a Wild result that wasn't needed to complete the current adventure. That's a good tip, thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
Avatar
mb
dugman wrote:
It's funny, I never thought of intentionally locking a Wild result that wasn't needed to complete the current adventure. That's a good tip, thanks!


Welcome

Also, if you have Unseen Forces, you may secure the white die as well for others to use (the only unsecurable die is the black one, for obvious reasons)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
I actually find it much easier to play the app with only two investigators. Each investigator gets more items, spells, etc. in less time (because their turns come up faster) and they accumulate trophies more quickly to buy elder signs.


Maybe, but the total amount of Health/Sanity you have is much lower with only 2 characters, so you can soak less damage. but it's true that if you fail few missions, you won't recieve much damage. If you have new characters and some become paper weight, you are stuck with them.


Many game effects also tend to hit all investigators at once, so the investigators as a whole may take more damage when there are four vs. two or one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.