Second World War at Sea: Midway» Forums » Rules

Subject: Air Search & Strike rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Sikachev
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to make a naval strike - should the TF be found by the planes of this exact base or just any base?

E.g., my carrier striking force has found enemy TF, but I haven't run any search missions from my air field. Could planes from the air field strike the TF too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
Frohe Weihnachten!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Peter,

The search aircraft can originate from any base. For the situation you describe, the planes from the airfield could also make a strike attempt.

As an optional rule, you can try applying a -1 to the strike location role, if a strike originates from a base that did not contribute to the search that found the target.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reffing the aforementioned game. To be clear what's being asked:
Peter searched with his TF planes. Found the enemy & then wanted to launch his land based planes ( not assigned a search mission) with his TF strike planes. I only counted is TF planes because he never searched with his land base. The reading I made of the rules was that only bases that search can strike- one base doesn't search for everyone. Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
Frohe Weihnachten!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cavan,

RaW, he should be able to strike from any airbase in range if a target is detected by air search.

But that said, the game master has final authority for a given scenario!

Hope you all are having fun,

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx Jim. Learning as I go. Confused by the wording. But I think I got it now.
What I sent to Peter:

"I see what you're getting at- if it remains sighted until it is "un-sighted" -on a failed search roll next turn - then the "location" roll should account for the (in this case the land-based) other flights trying to located during their strike missions. That makes sense."

The other thing that always gets me about a/c rules is when to apply stuff to "counters" as in the take-off & Landing rolls, and when to apply as steps - as in a/c damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me ask you Jim. When a/c have 1/2 of 1 step eliminated (the other 1/2 waiting in the salvage box)from CAP attack - how do you actually account for that? Do you just keep a running tab going until that lingering 1/2 is made a "1-step" again by another 1/2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
Frohe Weihnachten!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Cavan,

There are no half-steps in SWWAS. Per 1.0, all fractions are rounded up!

This is a bit devastating for 1-step air attacks that get hit by AA. While not official (yet), some of us apply an optional rule by which if a single step attack is damaged by AA, roll a die: on a 4-6 the step is eliminated, otherwise it survives.

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.