Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dice City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Token & Disabling question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Cohen
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played this game for the first time and then I won a copy at that same gaming event so now I REALLY need to make sure I understand this right:

Q1) When it says to take a VP token, are they all supposed to be face-down so that you are surprised by the value of your token? Or when it says 2 VP you search thru and find the 2 VP token or make chance so that your total increase is +2 VP?

Q2) I know that attacking someone else's building will disable it, but what does it mean for those items that have the disable symbol on it (I'm not in front of the game right now). Does that mean that this ability ONLY works when it is disabled?

If that's the case, can you just disable a building on your own? Does it take a die-action? What's the downside of disabling it because you score disabled buildings and non-disabled buildings the same at the end of the game?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1: You search for a VP token with the number 2 on it (or you take 2 1VP ones). They have values only on one side because AFTER you take them, they are kept face-down.

Q2: Locations that have the deactivation symbol at the beginning of their ability require YOU to deactivate them in order to use their ability. Of course, as happens with all locations, if it is deactivated you can't use it. It doesn't matter if it was an opponent's attack or a use of your own that deactivated it, in order to use it again you will have to reactivate it first (by discarding another die).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cohen
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarification!

I understand about the VPs - got it.

About the deactivate bit - I'm still not clear.

1)I buy a building that has the deactivated symbol on the ability and place it on my board.

Q: When can I deactivate it? Right then for free? or do I need to wait until next turn?

2) Once it is deactivated, I then roll and land on it. Can I then use my die action to use that ability? or do I need to Re-activate it first, necessitating TWO dice actions to use that ability?

So these are supposedly 'powerful' actions that then require two dice actions to activate?

3) Once it is activated, I need to deactivate it again to start the cycle over? Do I use a die action to deactivate it?

I'm still confused - thanks for your help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geekaba wrote:
About the deactivate bit - I'm still not clear.

1)I buy a building that has the deactivated symbol on the ability and place it on my board.

Q: When can I deactivate it? Right then for free? or do I need to wait until next turn?

The deactivation is a requirement in order to use its ability. However for an ability to be used, a die must first land on that card. So, when you buy it, you just put it somewhere in your city. In order for you to do anyting with it, you will have to land on it first.

So let's say that in a future turn, one of your dice lands there. You can now use the ability (for the sake of conversation let's assume the location is Bazaar). You deactivate the location (placing a deactivation token on it) and you get one of each resource.

geekaba wrote:
2) Once it is deactivated, I then roll and land on it. Can I then use my die action to use that ability? or do I need to Re-activate it first, necessitating TWO dice actions to use that ability?

So these are supposedly 'powerful' actions that then require two dice actions to activate?

Whenever a location is deactivated, you can no longer use its ability. Nor does any other card take into consideration (for example you can't use its ability with a Town Hall). This applies to all deactivated locations, regardless of how they were deactivated (ie whether they were attacked by another player, or deactivated by you by using their ability).

So, if I use a Bazaar (thus deactivating it) and on the next round I land on it, I can't use its ability. I can still use that die to do other things (like moving another die or refreshing the available locations to buy) but not use the Bazaar's ability. However, what I CAN do, is use one of my OTHER dice to remove the deactivation token from the Bazaar and make it active again. This will indeed allow me to use its ability again.

Essentially, it's what you said: I will be needing 2 dice (over time) each time I use the ability. One to actually perform it and one to reactivate the location afterwards.

geekaba wrote:
3) Once it is activated, I need to deactivate it again to start the cycle over? Do I use a die action to deactivate it?

As I said in the two answers above, in order to use the location's ability, it has to be active first and you need to land with a die on it. The ability then requires you to deactivate the location in order to perform the remaining part of it (ie get the 3 resources if we are talking about Bazaar).

I hope it's clearer now.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cohen
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that helps.

Just to run this into the ground...

1) I land on a Bazaar with the red die. I discard the red die in order to use that ability.

The act of using the ability then deactivates that card, and I put a deactivation token on it.

2) Next turn the blue die lands on the bazaar, the red die lands on some other spot.

I discard the red die to remove the deactivation token, and then discard the blue die to ues the Bazaar ability. The act of using the ability deactivates the Bazaar (again), and I put a deactivation token on it.

Let me know if that's wrong.

Thank you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geekaba wrote:
Just to run this into the ground...

1) I land on a Bazaar with the red die. I discard the red die in order to use that ability.

The act of using the ability then deactivates that card, and I put a deactivation token on it.

2) Next turn the blue die lands on the bazaar, the red die lands on some other spot.

I discard the red die to remove the deactivation token, and then discard the blue die to ues the Bazaar ability. The act of using the ability deactivates the Bazaar (again), and I put a deactivation token on it.

Let me know if that's wrong.

It's almost correct. Basically, what doesn't add up is deactivating the Bazaar with the red time first, and then having the blue die land on it. Since every die corresponds to a single line, it is the red die that should land on the Bazaar again. So, the scenario above, if adjusted like this, is 100% correct:

1) I land on a Bazaar with the red die. I discard the red die in order to use that ability.

The act of using the ability then deactivates that card, and I put a deactivation token on it.

2) Next turn the red die lands again on the bazaar.

I discard the blue die to remove the deactivation token, and then discard the red die to use the Bazaar ability. The act of using the ability deactivates the Bazaar (again), and I put a deactivation token on it.

(emphasis on the changed parts)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eymerich eymerich
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now i understand it. thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.