Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations for interesting economic games set in real historical periods. I'm most interested in late 1800's to 1980's American history, esp pre and post Depression era (1920's to 1940's) - I have no idea if there are games that simulate how the economy crashed and recovered, but that would be the most interesting to me. In general, I enjoy learning when playing games, so any game set in a real life historical period or range of periods is interesting to me as long as it has a strong economic engine behind it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take a look at the 18xx family: 1830 being the best known.

Perhaps Arkwright if you still can find it. But I fear it is not that historically correct, haven't played it but browsed the rule books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's England, but I think Brass: Lancashire would fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
I can't say that I know of anything that fits your specific requirements in terms of a 20th century game of economics.

I think the game that may most closely fit your needs is Wealth of Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Laguna Niguel
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions - I've played and loved both Wealth of Nations and 1830.

I'll check out Brass, that's been intriguing me for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not quite on target, but you might consider Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. It takes place during the very real Peloponnesian Wars, but it's not exactly a realistic depiction. Then again, the map is real and the various city states depicted are real. And it does convey the balance between army heavy Sparta and navy heavy Athens. And finally, it has a really cool and hard to manage economic system at the heart of the game. Battles matter but if you mess up your economy you're sunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Another one for Brass. It's heavy, economic, beautiful, and very thematic. A terrific game. Don't let the fact that it's based in England rather than USA hold you back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Economic games are not my thing, so I can't recommend anything from personal experience. However I have heard from those that do enjoy such things that Tulipmania 1637 is a pretty decent game, set around the craziness of the tulip market of the Dutch golden age, which represented the first recorded speculative bubble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Manifest Destiny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.