Subject: Fixing Split Box Corners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: box [+] [View All]
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently won an auction for Stephenson's Rocket on ebay. The game was listed as open but in mint condition. As it turned out, the game was unpunched and all components were still in their original packing, but the box was certainly not in mint condition. There are a few dents on it, but the real problem is that one corner of the box, both the outside and inside, is completely split right at the corner seam where the two sides meet.

So that brings me to my question - What's the best way to handle a split corner? I am a bit wary of simply taping it and I don't know if I should even try to fix it or should just leave it alone. What have you done to deal with this problem. Any suggestions?

This is the third game I have that is splitting, but this is by far the worst. Figured I'd finally look into it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Great technique (I have used it with success) here:
http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/RepairingBoxes.shtml
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
No helpful suggestion, but I believe that Derk has quite a bit of experience in this area after his experiences in getting his new games back from Essen.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had very good results with this.

Elmers glue along the edge of the seem and 2 or 3 large rubber bands that fit all the way around the box.

Sometimes for a lot of damage, you need to fix just a little bit at a time. Office Depot has the rubber bands I speak of. I use the same for keeping game boxes closed.

I think this is similar to the "Great Technique" but I am not going to check right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I was curious and I looked at the "Great Technique". I agree that it will work the same as what I suggested and you don't have to get the rubber bands. Of course, now you need a corner piece and some clamps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
I am a bit wary of simply taping it and I don't know if I should even try to fix it or should just leave it alone.

Why? Its just a box, and since its a game box, its essentially a poorly made one to begin with.

I just tape them myself, it just doesn't seem important enough to break out any special techniques.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put tape on the outside of the corner, cut the tape at the bent corner then fold down the two remaining bits of tape for a very strong corner. My games have traveled between the USA, Europe and Asia so I've learned this technique over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do something really simple. I use Elmer's on the inside and outside of the corner, wipe away some excess, then put a small piece of Scotch tape at a 45 degree angle to keep the corner together while the glue dries. The next day, I carefully remove the tape and the box is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.