Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Amazon.de shipping games WITHOUT PUTTING THEM IN A SHIPPING CARTON now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been mentioned elsewhere, but needs mentioning in BIG LETTERS!

Some amazon.de games are getting shipped unpacked (even from Germany to the UK) unless you happen to see the small print which says 'tick a box if you want some packing'. Edit: see image in a post below.

I think this is mostly Queen Big Big Boxes - I've seen Fresco & Kingdom Builder referenced, any my Fresco Big Box arrived today unpacked and - unsurprisingly - damaged. Edit: not just Queen BBs, apparently

Utterly insane.

Ironically their message about the return says "Securely pack the items to be returned.". FFS.

Update: However, let me say something about the customer service.

You can find an option to contact amazon.de by telephone. OK, so that is expensive from the UK. NO! They offer a call-back service. The call-back was instant, the connection to a person maybe 5 seconds later.

So, now I have to explain a) why sending boardgames unpacked is not proper and b) I cannot send the item back to them in Germany for the maximum cost they allowed in their email with the label of €8.40.

It was easy.

a) she says "Oh, this is wrong. I am sorry about that."
b) she say "Yes, I can see that. No problem, my colleague did not notice you were in GB, you can just take the package to your post office and we will pay the full cost and I will send you an email about it". (Edit: that email arrived just a few minutes later)

I asked if I could be cheeky and ask if I should pack the game or send it back unpacked. She laughed and said it is OK to send it back like you received it.

Well, that was just perfect. Really perfect. She understood everything immediately and the problem was solved. Normally you have to fight for your rights - but this was just not a problem.

Of course, it should not have happened at all, and I am sure Amazon will quickly learn their lesson when there are hundreds of problems like this, but it was put right professionally with good grace and good humour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Amazon.de shipping games UNPACKED now!
I'd seen this notification on my most recent Amazon UK purchases and wasn't quite sure what it really meant (I ticked to have them packed as a precaution as a bottle was part of the order).

Do you mean the game box was not packed at all? They stuck the shipping label on the game box? Whilst sometimes their boxes are a huge space of air I can't see not having them with some cardboard around them being anything other than asking for loads of damage during shipping (and a rise in returns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allie Tyndall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So not in an Amazon box, or not in the game box (confused but wanting to understand)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was was just in the normal shrink!!! The label was just stuck on the shrink! Not in an amazon box at all, just in the shrink-wrapped game box itself (like you would take off the shelf in a shop). There will be scores of these littering the warehouses of Europe when the shrink has fallen off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
The game was was just in the normal shrink!!! The label was just stuck on the shrink! Not in an amazon box at all, just in the shirk-wrapped game box itself (like you would take of the shelf in a shop). There will be scores of these littering the warehouses of Europe when the shrink has fallen off!
Holy crap....asking for damage. Rain? That's crazy. Good luck.

I can't see how Amazon would think this is a good idea for anything other than already well packed items eg TV. Even then, its asking for trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Utterly baffling!

I can understand it with a saucepan or any item where the packing is the protection: I think some bureaucrat just didn't realise that game boxes are part of the product and are not thrown away or recycled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Unitarian UniversalistMicrobadge: L.A. Lakers fanMicrobadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: On Mars fan
I can confirm. I got my copy of Mombasa from Amazon.de with no packing whatsoever. I was shocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat1da wrote:
So not in an Amazon box, or not in the game box (confused but wanting to understand)
I've changed the title hopefully to make it a bit more clear. Like you, when I first read the text on an amazon site I thought they might have meant they'd take the contents out of the game box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allie Tyndall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blimey! Thanks for posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brian Eno fanMicrobadge: Neil Young fanMicrobadge: Queen fanMicrobadge: John Fahey fanMicrobadge: Rickie Lee Jones fan
Thanks for the heads-up... I would completely miss that check box while clicking through the orders - just not expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For items that are boxed in a less fragile way that board games, think of the amount of cardboard Amazon will avoid having to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenks
Germany
Eckernfoerde
Schleswig-Holstein
flag msg tools
badge
Lest we Forget
mbmbmbmbmb
Much as it really annoys me to find a tiny item rattling around in a box big enough to hide a donkey in, the thought of no packaging at all makes me a bit twitchy as well. I don't think it's too much to ask to find a sensible balance.

That said, I continue to be impressed by Amazon's (and by extension, Audible's) customer service. It is exceptional; every little problem I have had has been dealt with swiftly, satisfactorily and without any fuss whatsoever. And that applies to both .uk and .de.

EDIT: Removal of unnecessarily superfluous word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexjrc wrote:
For items that are boxed in a less fragile way that board games, think of the amount of cardboard Amazon will avoid having to use.
Exactly. But they have to use some bloody common sense!

I don't think many manufacturers will have necessarily specified their packaging to withstand individual items being transported through the courier/postal system. They'll have specced it to be a) pretty on the shelf and b) for transport through a "retailer's" logistics chain in bulk (or at least handled with care).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jenkachu wrote:
EDIT: Removal of unnecessarily superfluous word.
That was very funny in the context of unnecessary superfluous packaging! Mind you, one of the two words "unnecessary" and "superfluous" is also either unnecessary or superfluous too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Were these games purchased directly from Amazon, or through a third party using Amazon as their distributor? The reason I ask is that there may be a check box on the seller's side that marks a product as requiring a box, and that check box probably costs money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon as seller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Microbadge: Offline from The Geek for a while
patron: "I would like some soup, please."
German Amazon cafe worker: "Okay, here you are..." throws hot soup in patron's face
patron: surprise "OUCH! OWWW! surprise WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! THE SOUP IS SCALDING HOT!"
German Amazon cafe worker: "Oh! Oh! I'm sorry, you didn't say you wanted the soup in a bowl! My apologies."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maggie Zheng
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My Fresco was also delivered without box; called Amazon to sort out replacement and was offered 15% refund if I kept the game. As I am not too bothered about the damaged ( three corners were worn) I took the refund instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
Were these games purchased directly from Amazon, or through a third party using Amazon as their distributor?
Directly from Amazon. It started when they no longer added delivery notes / invoices to their boxes, now they've optimized their costs even more by omitting boxing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
putting a positive spin on this, Amazon is probably reacting to the negative feedback on excessive packaging being non-eco-friendly.. and from the posts here, they are being good about resolving the problems to their customer's satisfaction. So, i'm certain that once they receive enough feedback, they will realize that game boxes, in and of themselves, are not sufficient packaging for shipping and the practice will discontinue.

So, at the very least you know Amazon is listening to customer feedback and is willing to make changes to address the concerns..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked for a screenshot of where to find that button so I would know where to click, and I got one. Even knowing that there was such an option somewhere, it still took me at least half a minute to find it. I have highlighted it in red so it is easier to recognize, below:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K_Salz Cotton
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, off topic:

Thats Amazon.de? But its in English.. How do you change the language settings?

Edit: Added off topic.

Update: Ignore. I've just seen the Beta button at the top of the screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Meanwhile, German gamers can prepare for some great deals on damaged games from Amazon.de Lagerhaus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Meanwhile, German gamers can prepare for some great deals on damaged games from Amazon.de Lagerhaus...
I think that the bargain line of Heidelberger Spiele at Essen SPIEL consists of a lot of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
Microbadge: Freeform RPG fanMicrobadge: Here I Stand fanMicrobadge: Trust me? Of *course* you can trust *me*!Microbadge: The Mountain Goats fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Games
enoon wrote:
Of course, it should not have happened at all, and I am sure Amazon will quickly learn their lesson when there are hundreds of problems like this...
I don't know about that. I've left packaging feedback literally dozens of times, and sent back quite a few items, because they insist on packing trade paperbacks in large boxes rattling around with other heavy items, or in several cases, in boxes that are smaller than the books.

I finally made the switch to digital comics upon realizing that Amazon is completely incapable or unwilling to package items properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |