Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Amazon.de shipping games WITHOUT PUTTING THEM IN A SHIPPING CARTON now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Microbadge: Podcast listenerMicrobadge: Toronto Blue Jays fanMicrobadge: Baha'iMicrobadge: Civil EngineerMicrobadge: I ride my bike to work.
Obviously this practice makes sense for items which are not stored in their box after the buyer opens them but totally inappropriate for board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Unitarian UniversalistMicrobadge: L.A. Lakers fanMicrobadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: On Mars fan
slinkydink wrote:
Obviously this practice makes sense for items which are not stored in their box after the buyer opens them but totally inappropriate for board games.
It also completely ignores the fact that some people are collectors and/or re-sellers and having a ruined box really reduces the game's value. I still wonder would they have paid for shipping from California to Germany if my Mombasa box would have had a crushed corner or something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
Maybe we'll see. I paid €47.xx for the Fresco Big Box. Because the weight is over 2kg it's going to cost them £29.70 to send back (around €40). I've asked them what they want to do.

Some 'senior' manager's head should be in a basket around about now. Oh ... no ... rolling about on the floor, the basket was too expensive ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ri
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2001: A Space Odyssey - HAL 9000Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter - I like BlackMicrobadge: Alien Frontiers fanMicrobadge: I'm a fan of Not Alone!
Well, the last two game orders I got from Amazon WERE packaged and still arrived damaged...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I won this werewolf in a top hat microbadge from Level 99 Games!Microbadge: Rescue SantaMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
enoon wrote:

Some 'senior' manager's head should be in a basket around about now. Oh ... no ... rolling about on the floor, the basket was too expensive ...
I can guarantee you the cost benefit analysis made for this change factored in re-sending items to the people who care enough to complain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
Perhaps. But I'm not sure it accounted for return postage being 98% of the item cost. As for your guarantee, I'm not sure I'd buy as used car from you with the same guarantee ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering cube draft fanMicrobadge: Pale Moon userMicrobadge: I love to pimp my own games!
Ordered a game from from them as a Christmas gift last week so hopefully it arrives OK. If something's wrong with it, I won't have time to return it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I won this werewolf in a top hat microbadge from Level 99 Games!Microbadge: Rescue SantaMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Amazon doesn't do things by accident. They accounted for only X% of customers bothering to send the item back, factored in $Y saved for skipping packaging, determined how much they would lose by offering 15% discounts to annoyed customers, and determined the change would benefit the company.

It's likely they underestimated the collectible nature of many of these games, but I doubt by very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Ahhh ... your doubts are probably as well-founded as your guarantee. Is it MBA 101 you're reading right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I thought it was bad when they repeatedly packed several games in an oversized box and, almost like cruel joke, threw in a small sheet of brown packing paper on top...

At least I had a box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: RetrogamerMicrobadge: Commodore 64 fanMicrobadge: Atari fanMicrobadge: The Prisoner fanMicrobadge: Spy vs. Spy fan
fightcitymayor wrote:
patron: "I would like some soup, please."
German Amazon cafe worker: "Okay, here you are..." throws hot soup in patron's face
patron: surprise "OUCH! OWWW! surprise WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! THE SOUP IS SCALDING HOT!"
German Amazon cafe worker: "Oh! Oh! I'm sorry, you didn't say you wanted the soup in a bowl! My apologies."
Could have been much worse. The exchange could have been....

patron: surprise "OUCH! OWWW! surprise WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?! THE SOUP IS SCALDING HOT!"
German Amazon cafe worker: "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
enoon wrote:
Ahhh ... your doubts are probably as well-founded as your guarantee. Is it MBA 101 you're reading right now?
You are welcome to assume that the world's largest retailer makes large fulfillment decisions without extensive research and consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
JRietveld wrote:
enoon wrote:
You are welcome to assume that the world's largest retailer makes large fulfillment decisions without extensive research and consideration.
You are welcome to believe that (the world's) large(est) corporations never make mistakes. You'll cover that in 'School of Real Life 101'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
enoon wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
enoon wrote:
You are welcome to believe that (the world's) large(est) corporations never make mistakes. You'll cover that in 'School of Real Life 101'.
I guarantee it is a mistake. Calculations and considerations do not preclude mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Grr! Arrgh!
JRietveld wrote:
enoon wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
enoon wrote:
I guarantee it is a mistake. Calculations and considerations do not preclude mistakes.
I'm sure the decision was made based on the idea that most people throw away the boxes toys come in after they open them. So if a toy has a large sturdy box why bother adding a second box? Then to account for collectors and things like board games they added an option to get them sent with an outer box. The only mistake was not making it much more obvious on the order screen what was going on. Everything else was as intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hard of HearingMicrobadge: I love playing cards!Microbadge: I love ColombiaMicrobadge: I design games for the love of itMicrobadge: Philip K. Dick fan
It is still an odd decision to make the bare box the default, given the significant numbers of toys that are bought as birthday and holiday gifts. Not only would you want a presentable box, but you would want it concealed from the recipient at your address.
I think parents that haven't noted the boxed option are going to have some complaints about surprises being spoiled this December!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
“…I find your lack of faith disturbing.”
badge
"Say my name"
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Elder Sign fanMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fan
Unacceptable. If such thing happens to me it's an auto returned product. Protect my stuff properly, or it goes BACK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: I love Christmas!Microbadge: RainbowMicrobadge: Disney Classics collectorMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
davidbowman wrote:
Well, the last two game orders I got from Amazon WERE packaged and still arrived damaged...
Those were returned games from BGG users that initially got them without a shipping box ;-)

Seriously though, tomorrow they'll deliver Zug Um Zug Deutschland, hopefully well protected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Fish
msg tools
jschlickbernd wrote:
[q="slinkydink"]I still wonder would they have paid for shipping from California to Germany if my Mombasa box would have had a crushed corner or something similar.
I've had the actual shipping cost refunded for a transatlantic return to amazon.com before (due to shipping damage), so it may well work the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maggie Zheng
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
enoon wrote:
Maybe we'll see. I paid €47.xx for the Fresco Big Box. Because the weight is over 2kg it's going to cost them £29.70 to send back (around €40). I've asked them what they want to do.

Did Amazon reply to you if they want you to send it back? i recived Amerigo today with package, the packaging is in good condition but there is a hole in the game box itself ( i guess it was damaged before they even packed it) so have to send back for a replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Yes, they were happy to pay the crazy return shipping cost!!

But, bear in mind I'd already ordered a replacement (with the request they put it in a box at least!!)

If you contact them BEFORE you ask for a replacement, and also work out what the postage will be so you can tell them (I can't remember how much Amerigo weighs) then they might offer you a decent discount which you might want to accept if the damage isn't horrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: I love Christmas!Microbadge: RainbowMicrobadge: Disney Classics collectorMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
maggie_wcf wrote:
enoon wrote:

Did Amazon reply to you if they want you to send it back? i recived Amerigo today with package, the packaging is in good condition but there is a hole in the game box itself ( i guess it was damaged before they even packed it) so have to send back for a replacement.

I would suggest contacting Queen Games directly. If they respond, they're usually very easy to replace boxes. They shipped me a replacement Alhambra Big Box once. Wasn't a problem at all.

However, ...if they respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2017Microbadge: 2017 Christmas Card Exchange participant
I don't like that a games publisher should have to cover the replacement costs for the biggest online retailer at the market. And the Amazon customer service always try to help, just the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Khonnor wrote:
I would suggest contacting Queen Games directly.
In europe we should NOT be looking to try to contact publishers - that is a very American thing to do. We we have much better Consumer Protection legislation (which we pay for in the price of the goods we buy) and the retailer is ALWAYS your first port of call (unless you have something OOP with a problem). The retailer is ALWAYS responsible for making good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
Hooray!!! My replacement Fresco BB arrived!
HOORAY!!! It arrived 2 days early!

BOOOOO!!! It arrived unpacked, shrink torn, bottom scuffed.

The very pleasant young man who handed it over apologised profusely saying "I'm sorry - it just came to us this way. I don't understand it".

3rd copy on its way thanks to another very helpful (Polish?) lady at amazon.de cusotmer services. Unfortunately , they have no way of communicating with their fulfillment centre, so all she could do was hope for the best. Fair enough.

I went out and bough beer and baccy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |