Subject: Another WHARF Question!!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem to contradict themselves, at first in the paragraph they state that the WHARF is your own personal ship that is unlimetd, then later on, in the paragraph it states that its limited to 11 barrels.

So does this mean that it isnt unlimited and you keep putting the SAME kind of good into the ship till you reach 11, or do you empty the WARF everytime you are done using it?

Any errata or official ruling on this bad boy. Seems a bit confusing to me and I want to make sure we are playing it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I could be wrong (it's late), but -- there are only 11 barrels of each kind of good. And of course you can only ship one barrel type on a ship (even your own personal ship), so it really isn't an extra restriction at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In addition (I should read it all) -- your wharf ship always empties at the END of the Captain phase. That is, you may ship as many as you want of one type of good at any time during the Captain phase. At the end, it empties, and on future Captain phases your ship is fresh and empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. There are only 11 barrels of any type of good. You would be pretty lucky/very rarely ever get all 11 barrels of a good. In terms of the Captain phase, You place all of ONE good, so you could ship all of your corn, but you couldn't place anything else on the wharf. Then it clears like all the other ships in the captain's phase that was full at the end of the phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your question, and yes, the rules were written too cleverly for their own good.

The wharf's capacity is unlimited. Regardless of this, the wharf empties at the end of every captain phase. In this sense, it does not act like the common ships, which only empty when they are full.

Yehuda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats really what I am after, whether or not it empties at the end of the round or not.

Thanks guys. My wife will be happy to know we have been playing correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shade_Jon wrote:
I understand your question, and yes, the rules were written too cleverly for their own good.

The wharf's capacity is unlimited. Regardless of this, the wharf empties at the end of every captain phase. In this sense, it does not act like the common ships, which only empty when they are full.

Yehuda

The rules aren't written cleverly at all. The 11 barrel capacity line is nothing but a superfluous waste of ink. Puerto Rico would have been a lot better served by a better translator writing the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Emch
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say don't knock rule writing until you've tried it. Until then, be glad that's there's a place like BGG where your questions can be answered.

And I don't know what you mean by translator. I can read English fine. What's there to translate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
emcher wrote:
I would say don't knock rule writing until you've tried it. Until then, be glad that's there's a place like BGG where your questions can be answered.

Writing games rules is one of the most difficult forms of technical writing there is.

Quote:

And I don't know what you mean by translator. I can read English fine. What's there to translate?

The original rules were written in German, so some of the confusion could be due to bad translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find the German rules to be a little more precise than the English translation. However, even the German rules have that pointless contradiction of "unlimited wharf" followed by "maximum of 11 barrels".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.