Subject: "It will get an update! -Matthias Cramer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Cramer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abe LincolnMicrobadge: I believe in NessieMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Caution: May contain wargame like substanceMicrobadge: I talk trash during games
Please do not forget, that this is just a "snapshot" in a starting design process. I am playing around with new features and not all of them will survive. And I was testing at which point the game is getting too long (found it ;-) ).

Ratingen is a local convention in my area where I know a lot of people and get good feedback. I am often testing games there although they are far away from being finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: 7 Wonders Duel fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Clans of Caledonia fan
cymric wrote:
Cerberus777 wrote:
There always was special locations scoring tiles in Glen More (Iona Abbey, Loch Morar and I don't remember the one for dorf), so this is not new.
These cards are indeed special, but not like what is now in GM2. From what I can make out the end of phase-scoring is gone, and replaced completely by cards such as Iona Abbey and the like:
Quote:
Wichtigster neuer Aspekt der getesteten Version war die Art und die Anzahl der Wertungen. Es gibt acht Charakterkarten im Spiel, die mit ausgelegt werden. Nimmt sich ein Spieler einen Charakter, so bekommt der Spieler einen Bonus, löst eine vorgegebene Wertung für alle aus, und wählt dann noch eine von drei Wertungen, die ebenfalls für alle gilt.
which in translation reads
Quote:
The most important new aspect of the tested version was the number and method of scoring events. There are 8 character cards in the game which get placed with the rest *). When a player takes such a character he will obtain a bonus, cause the indicated scoring for everyone, and finally chooses one of three scorings which too apply to everyone.
*) The German text at this point says 'die mit ausgeliegt werden' which word-for-word means 'which with placed are'. Altering the word order to English leads to 'which are placed with'. German (and my native Dutch) allows for the use of mit ('met' in my tongue) to indicate inclusion with something, that something occurs in the same fashion, hence me interpreting the sentence that the characters are tiles just like lands, villages, distilleries, and so forth. The idea is strengthened by how the scoring functions: end-of-phase scoring wouldn't make sense under these circumstances.

The conclusion is that this isn't Iona 'Kansas' Abbey anymore.

Quote:
From my understanding of this poorly auto translated text, [...] really cool IMO.
Far from it, I regret to say. The original text cannot be interpreted like this.

Quote:
Ah, that's what they meant! I first thought of hidden VP when reading "are collected obscured" translation, but then saw a Kramertrack for VP, which goes against hidden score.
Well-spotted. Perhaps the image is an early prototype, or the game contains mixed means of keeping track of scores. This is however speculation on my part.
Thanks a lot for the better translation Maarten! It's way better when it's translated by real people, and more clear.

As for my "would be cool" it was just my fertile imagination of a Glen More game cross with Lancaster voting aspect, like if we could gain influence in the normal game (by a way I don't know), and at the end could influence, let's say English Nobleman cards (Character cards, which would NOT be on the tile track)for additional scoring opportunity at the end of the game, thus keeping it a bit more tense until the end (and influence could be kept secret though!) But that was just my brain going crazy from interpreting a poorly auto-translated text!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Aeon's End fanMicrobadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: 7 Wonders Duel fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Clans of Caledonia fan
Sleeran wrote:
Please do not forget, that this is just a "snapshot" in a starting design process. I am playing around with new features and not all of them will survive. And I was testing at which point the game is getting too long (found it ;-) ).

Ratingen is a local convention in my area where I know a lot of people and get good feedback. I am often testing games there although they are far away from being finished.
Thanks for the post Matthias! I'm sure that with your experience now, you'll do a better Glen More, that will suit original player as new player.

If I may give an advice (you can take it or not, I'm fine with it), just keep your focus on what made Glen More so great, and add just what it needs to be better, and polish that into a perfect game. For me, this great game just lack a bit more variability for more replay value and a better "climactic" end game. But remember this:

"Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away"

Thank again Matthias for the update and your great games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: I play with the Galactic Empire!Microbadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
The premium components are definitely a cool inclusion and add theme/feeling to the game. Many of us would pay for that and people expect good components these days

Please keep the game closer to 1H play time, that was one of the great things about it. It had a good mix of strategy/tactics and lots of meat as well as playing fast still.

There were many checks and balances in scoring which keep the game tight as well, something that is unique and rarely seen in other games even to this day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Alea fanMicrobadge: I completed the Alea Medium Box Challenge!Microbadge: Magic number challenge participantMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Orléans fan
Sleeran wrote:
Hi all,

there is not that much I can disclose right now, but for Glen More 2.0 (<== not the real title!!!) I can say:

meeple There will be an international version - that's the main focus
meeple The components will be improved
meeple It will not come before 2017 since the designer is working slow and testing a lot, doing a hell of modifications and driving all involved people to madness.
meeple There will be some new mechanics

One of the mechanics is definitively a new end - I do not like the current one at all. But beside that, I am currently devloping / testing some new aspects for Glen More.

In the next months, I will not be able to post much. But as soon there is something showable from the testing sessions, I'll put that somewhere on BGG.

Meanhwile, you will be able to enjoy a new game coming up in spring. It has a similar complexity/length to Glen More, Lancaster or Rococo.

Enjoy,
Matthias
Hi Matthias,

Is there anything you can say about whether it will be an Alea production again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Cramer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Abe LincolnMicrobadge: I believe in NessieMicrobadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Caution: May contain wargame like substanceMicrobadge: I talk trash during games
There is no decision yet by whom/how Glen More 2 will get published. I will first finish the game and then have a look for options. The quality of the components is also for me very important.

At the moment, the game is at a stage where it is playable and working, but I am not 100% satisfied. Glen More 1 was done within a few months in 2009 (I just wanted to try how Kraftwagen feels with a new theme ...). Now, as I am a little bit older and made some experiences with other games, I would like to go for perfection and take my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge

I'm happy the development is going well! Take your time, finish the game, and I'm 100% sure it will be pick up by any publisher afterward considering the game (or should I say, the new better game it will probably be) and your reputation you have built over the past few years. And, don't worry, we can wait!

Thanks for the update Matthias!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!Microbadge: I play with the Galactic Empire!Microbadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG poster
Sleeran wrote:
Glen More 1 was done within a few months in 2009 (I just wanted to try how Kraftwagen feels with a new theme ...). Now, as I am a little bit older and made some experiences with other games, I would like to go for perfection and take my time.
What aspects of Glen more did you feel unsatisfied with? I thought the mechanics in the game were excellent and it had a lot of tough decisions and balancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
Microbadge: L5R Mantis ClanMicrobadge: I play with Yellow!Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: I love Portugal!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Really looking forward for this! Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Chess playerMicrobadge: Geekchat ZombieMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Golden Reviewer
I hope the game doesn't change much. I really like the look of the tiles and box right now. Upgraded bits instead of cubes would be awesome, but the aesthetic is already great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: You'd think they'd never seen a girl and a cat on a broom before!Microbadge: Computer ProgrammerMicrobadge: MensaMicrobadge: I sleeve everythingMicrobadge: Medieval Theme fan
RedArmyIan wrote:
I hope the game doesn't change much. I really like the look of the tiles and box right now. Upgraded bits instead of cubes would be awesome, but the aesthetic is already great.
Agreed! The mechanics with building and activating tiles is superb and should stay the same. I don't mind the current cubes. It would be nice if the color of wood was brown but that would make it difficult for the cows. The only things I'd improve are the balance of the bonus cards and how the ending is triggered.

I wish the designer shared some more info about the sequel. I am on the fence whether to buy a used copy of Glen More now or wait until next year for the new release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
You want a revolution? I want a revelation. So listen to my declaration: "We hold these truths to be self-evident That all men are created equal" And when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I'm 'a compel him to include women in the sequel
badge
Low Earth Orbit -- High Frontier 3e
Microbadge: Playtester / Prototype fanMicrobadge: ENTJ: FieldmarshalMicrobadge: Deep Cat of the Deep CutsMicrobadge: Twitter userMicrobadge: Heavy Games fan
infi01 wrote:
I wish the designer shared some more info about the sequel. I am on the fence whether to buy a used copy of Glen More now or wait until next year for the new release.
Pro-tip; looks like it's going to be different, so if you really like Glen More, get a used German copy. That way you can Dorf your way to victory. (The English OOP price is too inflated for just having English text on the tiles IMHO.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Microbadge: Wine drinkerMicrobadge: What a splendid day to be wearing a monocle! Who's for a spot of tea and a crumpet?Microbadge: English Literature fanMicrobadge: Obscure reference fanMicrobadge: My character uses a Rapier!
143245 wrote:
infi01 wrote:
Pro-tip; looks like it's going to be different, so if you really like Glen More, get a used German copy. That way you can Dorf your way to victory. (The English OOP price is too inflated for just having English text on the tiles IMHO.)
Glen More 2: Dorf Harder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
You want a revolution? I want a revelation. So listen to my declaration: "We hold these truths to be self-evident That all men are created equal" And when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I'm 'a compel him to include women in the sequel
badge
Low Earth Orbit -- High Frontier 3e
Microbadge: Playtester / Prototype fanMicrobadge: ENTJ: FieldmarshalMicrobadge: Deep Cat of the Deep CutsMicrobadge: Twitter userMicrobadge: Heavy Games fan
Annowme wrote:
143245 wrote:
That way you can Dorf your way to victory.
Glen More 2: Dorf Harder
I'm only mad because I didn't think of that first...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
This thread is fascinating, I love it when a designer interacts with fans during the design process. Thank you to Matthias Cramer for giving us some sneak peaks. That said, anything new?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cohn
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Mal: Well, look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us? Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir! Mal: Ain't we just.
Microbadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Lords of Waterdeep fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: La Granja fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
RedArmyIan wrote:
I am wondering if the game will be "1.0" compatible... reversible... retrograded? Not sure how to phrase it, but meaning, could a person choose which version to play out of the new box? Use everything for the 2.0 experience, but remove these bits and bobs to play the "classic" Glen More. Maybe the 1-2-3 will be a small icon on the face of the "classic" tiles, so they can still be broken up into individual stacks for scoring the 3 phases? I hope that is an option.

My one-and-only play of this game was very enjoyable (despite having the eventual winner--my own wife--more than double my dead-last score!), if it was not out of print I would have immediately purchased a copy for myself. Looking forward to following the information as it comes up and seeing what there is in store for this great game!

~Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: I love Ecuador!Microbadge: Targi fanMicrobadge: Altiplano fanMicrobadge: A Feast for Odin fan
Just found out about this today!

So excited!

This was one of the first board games I bought when I got back into the hobby about 6 years ago.

Definitely an auto buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
So any news on this? Is it still happening in 2017?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Cramer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
designer
Cerberus777 wrote:
Is it still happening in 2017?
No, game design is like whisky: it takes time.

GM2 will be Glen More 2 and not just GM1 with a few new tiles.

From gallery of Sleeran

From gallery of Sleeran
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
Microbadge: Jehovah's WitnessMicrobadge: I pimped my AgricolaMicrobadge: Home BrewerMicrobadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
Sleeran wrote:
Cerberus777 wrote:

From gallery of Sleeran

From gallery of Sleeran
I see the issue now: it's taking a while to work out the contract to use Mel Gibson's likeness with his agent. Residuals are tricky business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Alea fanMicrobadge: I completed the Alea Medium Box Challenge!Microbadge: Magic number challenge participantMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Orléans fan
Gonjeshk wrote:

I see the issue now: it's taking a while to work out the contract to use Mel Gibson's likeness with his agent. Residuals are tricky business.
KAPLAAAA!

I am actually glad that it won't be a revised version of GM but rather a sequel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sleeran wrote:
Cerberus777 wrote:

From gallery of Sleeran

From gallery of Sleeran
Perfect! I like my whisky aged and refined!

Thanks for the tease Matthias!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
I'd just like to see it become slightly heavier than it is...on say a Keyflower level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
yatescory wrote:
I'd just like to see it become slightly heavier than it is...on say a Keyflower level.
do realize that jacks up the price... the components in current edition are more than decent imho. i only paid $18 for mine new from cool stuff 5 years ago because of cost keeping production costs under control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fan
JeffyJeff wrote:
yatescory wrote:
do realize that jacks up the price... the components in current edition are more than decent imho. i only paid $18 for mine new from cool stuff 5 years ago because of cost keeping production costs under control
"more than decent"? No offense but they aren't. They may be decent but they aren't more than that. But I get what you are saying about the price going up with better components, I don't mind though, I'll happily pay the premium. Also, I didn't mean heavier in terms of physical weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] |