Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jones
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I first read of how the dice were used I was confused then a little turned off from the game. But after playing I see that the randomness of the dice keeps the game moving. Instead of players freezing and trying to decide what color tower/house to place they just have to decide what side of the wall they want it on.

I like the dice because it makes the choice for the player forcing them to move on with the game.

Normally I wouldn't like having my choices made for me but because scoring is done by cards off all players moves the last thing you need is the game stopping so someone can debate wheather they want a green or blue house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I like them, too, and your point that they keep the game moving is a good one.

In the early part of the game you have practically no idea how things are going to shape up, what configurations you're heading for, what you want on the board. The dice give you a quick "either/or" on the house colors and the tower color which you can quickly make a decision on: Choice A, Choice B, or Can't Think Of A Reason It Would Matter.

Later, when you might know exactly what you'd like in a particular spot, the luck of the dice can thwart your plans just enough that it's important to be flexible and keep some options open.

Also they make it a little harder to guess an opponent's intention. Did he really want to put a green house there, or was that just because he didn't roll a blue?

If the game were supposed to be a sheer battle of brains, you wouldn't want the dice -- what you'd want, in fact, would be a different game entirely! Because this one works as it is for what it is, an enjoyable swirl of developing and reaping opportunities, often culminating in a decisive endgame situation. If you win, you were clever. If you lose, there's that one key bit of luck you needed to make everything work out. Everybody finishes happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.