Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Picked this up from a charity shop (thrift store) but the ghost launcher is missing a cap and spring so I decided to see if it was game breaking by checking it out here.

After reading the review I'm surprised that how I imagine it will play out doesn't agree with the reviewer. Please note I haven't played the game yet so I may be wrong here:

1) Each player has two pawns, and cards drawn for each pawn must be kept seperate. For a 4 player game there are 8 pawns and therefore 8 seperate card inventorys.

2) There are 9 ring cards (I guess your 15 was a deliberate exageration). Therefore for a 4 player game thats 1 per pawn with 1 spare. If two players were to get two rings for one of their pawns then that means one pawn cannot get a ring (and that's assuming all cards are drawn). Notwithstanding there are 36 cards and only 9 of these are rings.

3) Although I can see no mention in the rules, for anything less than a 4 player game I am going to make a mental note to consider taking out two ring cards for each missing player, therefore for a 3 player game, remove 2 ring cards, for a 2 player game remove 4. I wont do this straight away, I'll see how it plays first. I'll also consider removing other cards for less than 4 players.

4) The review states "The board changes around underneath you as the graves move, but nothing that slides underneath you affects you" whereas the rules state "do the following.... if such a space appears under your pawn after a tomb is moved". In other words if a paralyze appears under you it affects you, if an arrow appears underneath you then you go to the danger place... where you are stuck (see below). Also it states "After the gameboard shifts, all players should react immediately to these spaces if their pawns are now sitting on them". The only space that doesn't affect you in this way is the goosebump card space, you can't sit on a space and keep collecting goosebump cards by shifting the tomb.

5) There are numerous ways for a player to be entombed. Players can be moved by other players for example using the goosebump cards. Which means you can put someone on a dangerspace directly, or on an arrow which moves them to a dangerplace (near a tombspace). This means that your point that "the only way ANYONE got caught in a grave is on purpose" is not down to the game mechanics but your incorrect implementation of them in point 4 above. There are also numerous other ways to affect other players such as by stealing their cards, if ring cards are kept rare then this should make for a hectic game.

As I've said I haven't played it yet but I believe points 1,2 and 4 are factually correct while 3 and 5 will have to wait until a few plays are under our belt before validating.

BTW It seems a broken ghost isn't game breaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
This review had much exaggeration I must admit, but it is essentially a glorified roll and move with a completely random and drawn out endgame, there is no real reason for the ghost at all. I mean its a cool looking game, component wise, and its fun for kids, that's why I still have it around. But its just not a good game. Taking out ring cards for missing players is probably a great idea, I haven't tried it but I'd like to see how that works, considering a majority of my plays were 2 player with my brother or at most 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
By all means try out the ring cards idea, but first I'd highly suggest you re-read and then properly implement the rules. I'd guess the biggest part of this game is affecting other players by moving the board, or putting a player in a position where they can be affected by the movement of the board. This is something you never had in your game, which is why you consider it a glorified roll and move. You can't go back to the 9 year old and replay this game the way it was intended, but you can play it the way it was intended. Both you and the game deserve that at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
By all means try out the ring cards idea, but first I'd highly suggest you re-read and then properly implement the rules. I'd guess the biggest part of this game is affecting other players by moving the board, or putting a player in a position where they can be affected by the movement of the board. This is something you never had in your game, which is why you consider it a glorified roll and move. You can't go back to the 9 year old and replay this game the way it was intended, but you can play it the way it was intended. Both you and the game deserve that at least.

I do know that you can affect other people by the movement of the board, thats something I did, in fact, have quite a bit of actually. That was definitely a twist, being able to put people into graves and whatnot, but its not something that happens all too often if players are smart about it. I don't know where you inferred that I was improperly implementing the movement of the graves in my review, but I was not misplaying the movement or something, its just not that big of a factor. Its fun when it happens, but if anything I wish there were more graves to fall into to make it a bigger part of the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Well I thought it was clear in point 4 above but maybe not so I will reiterate what you said with a direct quote:

weapon wrote:
The board changes around underneath you as the graves move, but nothing that slides underneath you affects you. So once you get in the big middle section, the sliding graves are pointless

A paralyze can slide underneath you and affect you, as can the arrows which put you on the danger space where you are either one tomb roll from entombment, or one bad card draw from entombment. These are resolved immediately so on someone elses move you can be dumped next to a tomb, and then entombed either by that person drawing the restless ghost card, or subsequent players (either moving the tomb or drawing said card) before your turn.

To be fair this is more likely the more players there are. With three players we have had three sessions and three entombments so far. Only one of those sessions was "entombless". Im guessing you only played 2 players where the risk of entombent is at best 1 in 3, and thats if you leave your pawn one space from entombment.

We have found the middle section to be the crucial part of the game, there is a potential choke point at the exit, right onto the second tomb, which can be closed to block players, or left one space open to entice players into a risk. Again, the more players there are the more this is an issue, one player is going to struggle to use this to thwart a single opponent, 2 or more working together to thwart the ringbearer is more likely to work.

I think the game will change when we play with cards in hand face down. The thief card will become less powerful, while there will be an opportunity for bluffing, again this is dependant on 3 or more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.