Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
M├Ânchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read a lot of comments, that the board tend to warp, this seemed to be the biggest problem with the game, as people really seem to love the game itself.
Has this been fixed in production?
If I order the game now, will I get the "warping-one", surely a better new board or does it depend on which "version", (old game box still in stock, that the shop wants to get rid of), if there have been 2 production runs, of the game I get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Till Bockem├╝hl
Germany
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there has been only one print run and with Eagle Games out of business now chances are low for another print run anytime soon.

As for the warping: I had the impression that only a small fraction of copies suffered this problem. I would just go ahead and buy a copy as long as you can get it for a reasonable price. In Germany it is still possible to get it for around 30 Euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I used 4 plastic binder clips. They assist with board warping and keep the sections attached while playing.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/137390
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my friend just got it and I've played it a few times before. Anyway he didn't have glass or plexiglass so in the 3 hours it took it was hilarious watching it raise 2 inches over the course of the game...we were all laughing pretty hard. Doesn't take away that it's a great game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine. The middle section warps a little, maybe 1/4" (1/2cm?) off the tapble at either end, the other two sections are fine. Even the 1/4" warp isn't so bad, it's not enough to make the bits slide around or anything. If it gets any worse I'll try backbending, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Goyens
Canada
Ste-Genevieve
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received mine and played last night, and the three sections began to warp up up to 1 1/2". I am completely unsatisfied with the board stock used, for the price payed! It is now currently being flattened by a few heavy books until the next game! This did bring about some interesting ideas that more train boardgames should have 3D boards. The only unfortunate problem is that the warps are not in the hills area necessarily !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loomis
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opened a copy on 2/10/07 from Funagain. Boards warped badly within 24 hours of opening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
If it makes you feel any worse, I've had mine for like 6+ months and the board's as flat as .... well a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My board is too big for the table... but I guess that's another problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shryke wrote:
If it makes you feel any worse, I've had mine for like 6+ months and the board's as flat as .... well a board.

LOL, mine has the same non-problem. Played it, remained flat. I think the impression is that all, or most boards warped. But, I think it was a very vocal minority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loomis
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 days later, and man is this board warped. It's totally unplayable. Any ideas on how to flatten it? Wet it and put weights on it? Heat it? Anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
loomis wrote:
3 days later, and man is this board warped. It's totally unplayable. Any ideas on how to flatten it? Wet it and put weights on it? Heat it? Anything?
Read this forum (not this thread though obviously). Some people had success just pressing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb

My board also warped a lot within 24 hours of opening the box. I suspect every single board will warp given the correct conditions. Some homes are more humid than others and hence, I suspect, the difference in effect from person to person.

I pressed my board for a week. It re-warped within 2 hours. I think the next step for me is to keep it pressed between game plays for a month or two until the board finally gets "used to" being flat.

There was just the single print run by Eagle Games and now they are out of business. So, your choice is to live with it or not. Personally, I think it is worth it in this case.

The story is that the Chinese manufacturer was pressured to deliver by some date and did not allow enough time for the boards to cure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.