Subject: Solitaire Version questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Tristram
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Hi, I received Card Football for Christmas and really enjoy playing. However, I have reached situations in the solitaire version that I would like clarification on.

First occurs when the "system" player wants to attempt a FG. How do I make sure that the kick would be long enough? Do I just flip the top card over on the pile and hope that it is suitable, or is there another way?

The second was a situation where the system fumbled the ball on the last play of a quarter. I recovered the ball and wanted to return the ball but I couldn't as I had ran out of cards and the rulebook says I cannot refill my hand of cards until the play is over. What is the ruling?

One last question concerns the team chips. Why are there team chips for some cities in the NFL such as Chicago and Indianapolis and not for others such as Buffalo? I can understand rights issues with the NFL regarding use of team names and insignia etc. but not for using a cities' name surely?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks for a great game (I also enjoy the Card Hockey).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Del Rio
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Jeff,

Great questions. Hope this helps.

Paolo

diceshaker wrote:
First occurs when the "system" player wants to attempt a FG. How do I make sure that the kick would be long enough? Do I just flip the top card over on the pile and hope that it is suitable, or is there another way?

In single-player mode, you would simply flip the top card and hope that it is suitable, followed by a roll of the dice for accuracy. However, we will note in our FAQ that "system" field goal attempts should only be attempted at or within the 28 yard line. This should make things a little more equitable.

diceshaker wrote:
The second was a situation where the system fumbled the ball on the last play of a quarter. I recovered the ball and wanted to return the ball but I couldn't as I had ran out of cards and the rulebook says I cannot refill my hand of cards until the play is over. What is the ruling?

Since the play isn't over yet and you have simply run out of cards, you are permitted to take a card off the top of the draw pile for the return. If all the cards have already been played through, shuffle all the discards and take the top-card for the return. Once that play is completed, the quarter is over and the entire deck should again be shuffled to start the next quarter.

So, it is true that you cannot refill your hand until the play is over, but you are permitted to take a card off the draw pile and complete the play if you run out of cards before the play is over.

diceshaker wrote:
One last question concerns the team chips. Why are there team chips for some cities in the NFL such as Chicago and Indianapolis and not for others such as Buffalo? I can understand rights issues with the NFL regarding use of team names and insignia etc. but not for using a cities' name surely?

Our selection of team chips was based on many of the strong pro football cities that currently have franchises (in the US and Canada), as well as a few others that could or should (like Los Angeles and Las Vegas). We certainly did not want to misrepresent our game and mimic all the cities in the National Football League, as it could potentially hurt our chances of someday doing a licensed version. Also, our feeling was that the New York chip could represent New York State as a whole.

Thanks again for the feedback. It is most appreciated.

PD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.