Subject: Monsters Menace America... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Matthew Baes
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
This game's going out of print in all likelihood what with Avalon Hill's demise. Been going back and forth deciding if I should spend $15 bucks for this. Read the reviews and I guess most people say its 1.) mindless (only good as a beer and pretzel game they say) and 2.) The end game when the mosters duke it out is not that fulfilling. And they're probably right..BUT...I'm somehow attracted to the theme AND it IS going out of print..

So moment of truth..deal or no deal? Any opinions on this game? Or are there any better alternative games with this kind of theme also (i.e. big monsters duking it out big time)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm not that cool.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't think it's the deepest game in anyone's collection, but it is pretty fun to play. I don't know of another game with a similar theme and complexity.
I own it and I think I'd miss it if I didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game really caught my eye on my gamestore shelf when I first saw it. I thne played a friend's copy and was a little let down. That said, I still had fun and still went out and bought my own copy when it went on sale at Toys R Us. It's a good game if you are looking to kick back, push some mosters around, attack them with jets, throw some dice, and have a good laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't expect deep strategic gameplay, but it can really be a lot of fun. I was skeptical of the ending myself at first, but I haven't found it to be an issue for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baes
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
Dignan wrote:
This game really caught my eye on my gamestore shelf when I first saw it. I thne played a friend's copy and was a little let down.

If you don't mind me asking..how come you were let down? Does it become repetitive?

I wonder...is it any fun to play this 2-players with 2 or more monsters each?

Lester

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine McClean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At $15 it's a steal - it would be rude not to buy it. It's not a heavyweight strategy game, but it's fun and the bits are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Is Not Geddy Lee
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and had a great time playing it. I disagree with the player who complained that the first part of the game had nothing to do with the final battle royale. In fact, the way I played the first part got me the victory in the final part. While my opponents were gathering health like crazy, I was gathering mutations. These mutations gave me cool powers for the final battle which led to my victory. This is totally worth $15. If my buddy didn't own it, I would buy it. Fun game, silly pieces to play with and a nice light evening of monster mayhem awaits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
mbmb
I hadn't heard that it was going out of print. I'll have to ask Ben about that.

FWIW, it is a fun Beer-n-Pretzels game. Kinda mindless, yet fun. If I didn't have a copy, I'd definitely buy it for $15 (I'd buy it for more). If it is going out of print I may want to pick up another copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Baes
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
I guess its a resounding 'YES!' Now I feel a bit foolish for holding back in the first place...better late than never

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hseldon wrote:
While my opponents were gathering health like crazy, I was gathering mutations. These mutations gave me cool powers for the final battle which led to my victory.

Now try doing that again. My son did that one game and was successful so he thought it was the best strategy ever. The next time he tried it again. While he was focused on mutations his health was low and he ended up getting knocked out by the military and sent to Hollywood twice in the game. He had no chance once the final battle came around.

It's a fun game for what it is. I even think it's fun two player with just once monster each. With more that would require each person to control more military units as well, which for me becomes a bit too much to still be enjoyable. I think what you do during the game does have some effect on the end battle, but really, the end battle between the monsters is not the focus of the game. The good part is the overall experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.