Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Graham
United Kingdom
Mill Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have to admit I'm a sucker for Carcassonne expansion sets and like to play with all of them.

The biggest downside to this is that you end up with loads upon loads of tiles. With the addition of the Tower, things have got too ridiculous. My regular group even started refusing to play it.

The solution we've come up with is extremely simple, but has an added advantage of making the game slightly less random. Simply put, you draw two tiles and choose which one you are going to play.

The only exception to this rule is that if the dragon appears on EITHER tile, he goes on a rampage no matter what (in the variant we played, this rule doesn't extend to volcanos).

We played this variant last week and it worked well. One concern with using all the expansions is that some players tend to ignore/forget about certain rules such as the City and the Towers, but at least in the game we played then, the game was pretty evenly spread.

Another concern I had before trying this variant is that it would favour city tiles over road tiles. Yet the Robber Baron got about as many points as the King at the end of the game.

Even then, the game took 2.5 hours. meeple

Enthused by this, I'm tempted to try it with the Princess and the Magic Portals working in the same way as the Dragon Tiles (i.e. if the relevant icon appears on either tile, the rule is played out regardless of which tile the player uses). Particularly the Magic Portal might help in terms of repopulating the farms that the Dragon enjoys munching through. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pasquantonio
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you draw two tiles, do you discard the unplayed tile, or do you add it back to the mix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Graham
United Kingdom
Mill Hill
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

The reject tile is discarded and taken out of the game. Half the number of tiles (in theory) means half the game time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Myers
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting idea. I imagine it makes people more competitive, more apt to be more aggressive in their tactic of choice. This can be good or bad If playerX is good at building castles and playerY is good at fFarming, the two may easily work in opposing yet concordant directions to great effect.
and then playerZ decides to step in and start using one of the lesser-used fFeatures and kills everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.