Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Smith
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played Saturday. Some of these i think are straight forward, but since i couldn't find official clarification i just added them to the list. Wonder if any of you mates could clarify for my group?

1. Can you prepare to assist? Basically trying to get a +1 on the role that finds out if you successfully assist.

2. Ignoring remote assist for a moment, can you assist someone this phase before the person they are assisting is beside them? The idea being that one hero, Fred walks up to beside a battlestation and rolls to find out if he can assist Doug, and succeeds. Doug then (same phase) walks up to the battlestation and does his action which Fred is assisting on. Or does Doug need to be at the battlestation before Fred can do his assist action?

3. Tentac ship - Rules: Ignore facing restrictions. So this makes the firing arc of any cannon 360 degrees?

4. Overwatch - "I'm going into overwatch to fire my cannon at a missle as soon as it's directly in front of us"
Since a missle moves 2 hexes a turn, and suppose a missle will be directly in front of them in half a turn. Ie. it moves one of it's spaces and fulfills the overwatch condition.
Can overwatch be used like this? It says in the rulebook "you may take your overwatch readied action before, during or immediately following another character action." Based on this rule comment, the overwatch statement the player made doesn't appear to be useful since the intent is to have the overwatch interject during missile movement, which is not a character action.

5. Distance - When calculating do you count the hex that the target is sitting on, or just the hex spaces in between?

6. Shooting a missle.
a. Where do you place the missile counter if you successfully launch a missile? Any adjacent hex to your ship? In the hex adjacent to the side your missle bay is on?
b. What if you launch a missile at a ship while sharing the same space as that ship? Does it hit immediately?
c. What if you launch a missle at a ship that is adjacent to you, and assuming the target is facing the missle launch bay on your ship(if that matters) Does it hit immediately?

7. Recovery: If you were incapacitated last phase, and are healed successfully enough to be awoken in the current phase, is it in this current phase that you do your recovery action... or must the recovery action happen next phase?

8. Scanning - Scanning Probe - Can you scan a remote ship without first firing a probe and just calculate the distance based on how far your own ship is from the ship you are trying to scan? Or is the only way to scan outside your ship is with the probe?

9. Life Support - Boot Camp : A scientist and bot board use a boarding missile and disgorge onto the derelict ship... only find out it's full of enemy Bots. In this situation is the life support overstressed and at the end of each round bots and players take Overstressed Life Support damage? Are damaged but not destroyed bots using life support?

10. Final question: My game has 80 "full color counters." The game says it comes with 160 "full color counters" Am i missing 80 or is the box number counting each counter as 2 since it's double-sided?

Cheers. This game went over really well.... these questions came up but didn't hinder play.

Terry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Levine
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
...Assisting...
I don't have the books here to confirm answers but I believe the correct sequence for assisting someone who isn't there yet would be...Assume we are talking about "Pump the Engines"...

begine person giving assistance turn
Person giving assistance moves into position. (Move Action)
Person giving claims overwatch to assist once someone tries to pump the engines. (Action)
End person giving assistance turn

Start person expecting assistance turn
Person expecting assistance moves into battlestation. (Move Action)
Person expecting assistance starts to pump the engines.
***Overwatch Interrupt***
Person giving assistance resolves assistance
***Return***
Person receiving assistance rolls to pump the engines adding bonus if the assist was successful.
End person receiving assistance turn.

This was commented on either here or in the mailing list, I cant remember which, and I'm sure the reply was from one of the developers.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
smittst wrote:
Played Saturday. Some of these i think are straight forward, but since i couldn't find official clarification i just added them to the list. Wonder if any of you mates could clarify for my group?

1. Can you prepare to assist? Basically trying to get a +1 on the role that finds out if you successfully assist.

Yes.

smittst wrote:
2. Ignoring remote assist for a moment, can you assist someone this phase before the person they are assisting is beside them? The idea being that one hero, Fred walks up to beside a battlestation and rolls to find out if he can assist Doug, and succeeds. Doug then (same phase) walks up to the battlestation and does his action which Fred is assisting on. Or does Doug need to be at the battlestation before Fred can do his assist action?

You can assist somebody on an action they may take subsequently during the same phase. Thus, Fred can attempt to assist Doug before Doug is there. If Doug is prevented from taking his action this phase or chooses not to, Fred's assist is wasted.

smittst wrote:
3. Tentac ship - Rules: Ignore facing restrictions. So this makes the firing arc of any cannon 360 degrees?

Yes.

smittst wrote:
4. Overwatch - "I'm going into overwatch to fire my cannon at a missle as soon as it's directly in front of us"
Since a missle moves 2 hexes a turn, and suppose a missle will be directly in front of them in half a turn. Ie. it moves one of it's spaces and fulfills the overwatch condition.
Can overwatch be used like this? It says in the rulebook "you may take your overwatch readied action before, during or immediately following another character action." Based on this rule comment, the overwatch statement the player made doesn't appear to be useful since the intent is to have the overwatch interject during missile movement, which is not a character action.

That rule should probably read "at any time" because you can interrupt ship or missile movement to complete your overwatch action.

smittst wrote:
5. Distance - When calculating do you count the hex that the target is sitting on, or just the hex spaces in between?

Battlestations uses the standard that if you are in the same hex as something the distance is zero. If the target is in the adjacent hex, the distance is one. Thus if there is one hex separating you from the target hex, the distance is two.

smittst wrote:
6. Shooting a missle.
a. Where do you place the missile counter if you successfully launch a missile? Any adjacent hex to your ship? In the hex adjacent to the side your missle bay is on?

Place the counter in the same hex with your ship.

smittst wrote:
b. What if you launch a missile at a ship while sharing the same space as that ship? Does it hit immediately?

No. Resolving missile hits comes at a specific time near the beginning of the phase.

smittst wrote:
c. What if you launch a missle at a ship that is adjacent to you, and assuming the target is facing the missle launch bay on your ship(if that matters) Does it hit immediately?

No.

smittst wrote:
7. Recovery: If you were incapacitated last phase, and are healed successfully enough to be awoken in the current phase, is it in this current phase that you do your recovery action... or must the recovery action happen next phase?

If you haven't taken an action this phase, you may take the "recover" action.

smittst wrote:
8. Scanning - Scanning Probe - Can you scan a remote ship without first firing a probe and just calculate the distance based on how far your own ship is from the ship you are trying to scan? Or is the only way to scan outside your ship is with the probe?

Probes are not required for anything. They merely reduce the range penalties for certain actions.

smittst wrote:
9. Life Support - Boot Camp : A scientist and bot board use a boarding missile and disgorge onto the derelict ship... only find out it's full of enemy Bots. In this situation is the life support overstressed and at the end of each round bots and players take Overstressed Life Support damage? Are damaged but not destroyed bots using life support?

No. There are two kinds of Life Support, long-term and short term. In the long term, a ship can support 4 crew per life support. In the short term a single functioning life support supports any number of beings. Think of long term requirements as stuff like toilets, showers and food. Short term requirements are like air. For bots, short term requirements are power and long term are spare parts and maintenance. Damaged Bots use Life Support but it doesn't become relevant until you warp out. If you were to take a road trip in an RV that holds 4 people, you could pick up a hitch-hiker for a short jaunt without causing too much trouble but if the hitch-hiker was going to stay for the length of the journey, you might have trouble finding him a place to sleep and your rations would run out 25% sooner.

smittst wrote:
10. Final question: My game has 80 "full color counters." The game says it comes with 160 "full color counters" Am i missing 80 or is the box number counting each counter as 2 since it's double-sided?

The box is wrong. We went to press before we had the final count on counters. At the last minute we decided not to cram twice as many counters as you really need onto the counter sheet because our diecutter warned us that it could cause problems.

smittst wrote:
Cheers. This game went over really well.... these questions came up but didn't hinder play.

Thank you.

Terry

Thank You!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, it is nice to hear from the designers that I am doing everything right...

...at least on this list

Thanks Jeff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Smith
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yah, developer input is great.... in fact it pretty much ensures i'll be buying the expansions.

Can't say that i played it right though...

Fortunatly most of these questions we worked around. It's too bad i screwed them on the "assisting" someone who's not there, but they had the benifet of only counting the empty spaces in between their ship and the target when calculating distance, so i imagine it all worked out.

I need to go back and review the ship combat... that should be the last gray areas i'm a little lost on, so i may be back.

Now i just need to convince everyone to play again!

Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.