Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Opportunity or a Trap?

All 4 hunters started in the south from Sofia to Saragossa...practically inviting some British Isles shenanigans from the Count. I took the bait and executed the "Swansea Loop" around England planting a vampire in the process as I was fortunate enough to have one from the beginning.

The hunters would have continued to chase their tails and wonder why they never hit upon my trail, anywhere, if not for a pesky "Newspaper Reports" event card. I hadn't "persuaded" any editors into promoting a sensationalist press yet, my bad, so I was forced to reveal my location. Upon maturing the vampire, an added bonus was my trail was reduced down to one thereby returning all of those English cities to my hand. Somehow, having only one location in my trail appeared to discourage the hunters from any further interest in England as it seemed to them that I was finished with that aspect of my journey.

A quick aside - my typical (re: ultra-horrible) luck cost me a point. The hunters rolled a 2 on the first round of their Vampire Lair and, of course, I followed suit with a '1' losing my first new-day-dawning point. I figured I'd just have to work a little harder to get that 6th point.

A Ruse or a Bad Case of Over-Confidence?

Just as I started out on the waves, Dracula's Brides showed up allowing me the luxury of 7 encounters in my encounter pool. Not that it helped much as I no longer had any vampire encounters. Out to the English Channel I went yet none of the hunters even got wet; not even dipping their toes into the pool.

I looped around the isles counter-clockwise but once I returned to the Atlantic ocean I still had a decision to make: sprint way out east and get into Eastern Europe OR go right back to Swansea from the Irish Sea side. Using all of the demonic intuition which I could muster, I decided to see what would happen if I tried the "Swansea Loop" once again! Besides which, the local fish and chips are curiously satisfying when there are no young ladies' necks handy.

I was probably overly-optimistic as right off Dr. Seward moved up to Le Havre. Drat, here he comes right into the English Channel, right after I just committed to England. But, he wasn't meaning to be that clever. Seward and his co-horts were, instead, setting up a trap of their own. Seward's interest in Le Havre (northern France) was to drop a Heavenly Host on it and begin a "Sacred Line" by bisecting the continent from Le Havre to Paris to Clermont-Ferrand and on through to Marseilles. Sort of a "Maginot Line" from northern to southern France against smooth, swarthy, undead types.

But, then, Seward headed for the rail lines but rolled an 'X'! Drat again - one of the rare times an 'X' on the rail die was not to Dracula's advantage. Seward might change his mind before his next turn. The remainder of the hunter team moved to the south and east. Goldalming from Berlin to Prague, Mina northern Italy, and Van Helsing the south of France.

I still needed another vampire encounter to generate some points and, despite having the assistance of Dracula's Brides, I couldn't pull them on my own. Every turn the hunters continued to flee towards the south and east, behind the comfort of their line of Heavenly Hosts and Consecrated Ground, anticipating Dracula's desire to disembark into the larger side of the now-bisected continent. The moment of truth arrived as Seward reached, once again, for the train die. This time there were no problems with his papers and Seward moved away from Le Havre with great haste to join his teammates.

There was my break, my opportunity, and I Dark Called while in Plymouth; spending the requisite 2 blood. I had 7 encounters already on the table and no vampires. I grabbed a bunch out of the bag; 9 in fact. A fistful of rats, bats and meaningless role players such as peasants and saboteurs was my reward. So, now, I had spent 16 encounters still with no vamps. I was pretty discouraged but, hoping against hope, I reached into the bag once more....and, thankfully for the future of all undead culture and society, it turned to be a lucky 17th encounter. I got my much-needed vampire.

An Elegant Finish?

All that was left was to execute my plan and patiently watch my vampire come to "life". My plan was to go to sea while it was night and sail around Gibraltar all the way to my homeland eventually coming to rest at my ancestral home - Castle Dracula. The hunters still had no idea of my location and everything was right on schedule.

Desparate, the hunters used a resolve point to Newspaper Report my oldest location which indicated my presence in England. From there it was a full out sprint by the hunters to England who indeed had been fully duped by my ruse. Seward was close enough that he would get into and out of the English Channel just in time to pounce on my vampire! The vampire was in London. Seward upon disembarking into England would have the choice of landing in London or Plymouth.

It was night. Seward did indeed choose London and now it was dice-roll time. My luck, being what it is, didn't offer me much hope. However, I got the roll I needed as I wasn't interested in biting Seward; that would spell disaster to my plans. My vampire could escape just as long as Seward didn't have either a knife or a stake. Seward's reaction told the tale as he slunk back into his chair admitting the vampire's escape. Next turn would bring me my 5th point and once I disembarked from the Black Sea I was one wolf form away from Castle Dracula and my 6th vampire/point.

The relentless Van Helsing did give it a try by using Sense of Emergency to arrive at the doors of Castle Dracula. He must of left his garlic in his other coat pocket so, disinterestedly, I simply escaped as mist ensuring my victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for an amusing and interesting account. Sounds like your pursuers were about as effective as a bunch of headless chickens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.