Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Waters
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the C&C system, as you will soon note...

In my 11th game, 1st with an experienced player, I finally learned that only units ordered during that round can battle. Up until then, we had played that as if moving/ordering and battling were not related. As in, archers could plink away each round as units rushed up to kill them. I am now convinced of my very basic error. However, I actually like the game better when "All Units in Range Can Battle" because:

1. The game is a bit quicker, as battling is constant.
2. Archers take on a much more significant role.
3. "Drying up" of Command card draw seems to be less important once you get your units in a good position.
4. Bold support is even more important as you are constantly attacked.
5. This seems more thematically correct - I think of orders as the logistics of getting individual armies into formation and position. Once in range, my right wide armies shouldn't be motionless for 4 turns while the left is slashing away.

Anyway, any thoughts on this unintentional variant and its effects? Is "All Units in Range Can Battle" used in other wargames?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games allow combat by all units in range to have combat.

That the CCA system does not is one of the things that is both different and extremely interesting about it.

What you are doing is a totally different game-- you might trying playing it as intended a few times before deciding the very ordinary is superior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Qhorin wrote:

5. This seems more thematically correct - I think of orders as the logistics of getting individual armies into formation and position. Once in range, my right wide armies shouldn't be motionless for 4 turns while the left is slashing away.

Because - for some reason - your troops are unable to respond. You dearth of command cards is intended for you to plan in advance to deal with that, and is a core element of the Command and Colours system. Are they stuck in the mud? Confused by the battle? Who knows!

You're unintentional variant seems to really undermine a lot of what I would consider is the point of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Eh... I'd be concerned that your variant makes it a game of "whoever attacks first, loses". It would seem the ideal situation would be to position yourself with a one-hex barrier between you and your opponent's melee units... because the opponent would have to spend a command card to move into position to initiate attack, and then you'd be able to play a command card elsewhere as well as get a 'free combat' with all those units that engaged you. (And, funnily enough, you'd be hoping NOT to roll flags in battleback rolls, beause it'd take away your freebie attack on your next turn.)

And I really don't like any of that. I've seen games that give an advantage to the side that waits for the other side to attack first. Once both sides realize the optimal strategy is to wait for your opponent to attack rather than be the first to attack, the game becomes a long and tedious wait.

IMHO this would only 'work' in a system with post-attack resositions/withdraws (I believe the GEV's in OGRE can do this - strike and flee). In a system where, in order to initiate an attack you have to spend a resource (a command card) that your opponent would *not* have to spend in order to fight back... well, it leans a system whose focus is meant to be on the offensive, towards the defensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to attack with all available units rather than just ones which are ordered from a command card is an interesting idea. As said above, it would seem to be a little more realistic as you are committing your troops to combat, and they don't quit melee until either one side is eliminated, routed, or they are ordered back by a command.

However, I agree with Mark, that as the BL rules are, there would be a disadvantage to attacking as bold defending troops could battle back in your attacking turn and then attack again in the next turn without need of command. To overcome this you could get rid of battleback or allow any attacked troop to battleback (bold or not) as long as they don't retreat, but then the only advantage of being bold is ignoring one flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.