Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JC C.
United States
Seattle
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're in the midst of a four player game right now, and it happens that I could potentially run out of track pieces before the game ends. Does anyone know what this ends up meaning to my turn from that point on? Do I still just move the passenger and not place track?

We can't seem to find anything in the rules that addresses this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that means you lay no more track...!

I've played this a few times and never been in that situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost happened in a game played yesterday, as we had a run of yellow cards early and many turns with none late in the game.

We ruled that the player could lay no more track. After all, the rules say nothing about reusing track pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC C.
United States
Seattle
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What if a player runs out of track pieces before endgame
For what it's worth, it ended up not happening. But, we decided that should it occur, then it's just that you essentially spend your track laying portion of the turn taking junction pieces instead of laying track. (Since you can't use the junction pieces, you don't actually have to take them, but that's what you're doing, since you have no track to lay.) You still move the passenger, and you still score normally when other people move. That is, it's not that you're eliminated from play or penalized somehow.

That was our ruling on it, but YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
tsukata wrote:
We're in the midst of a four player game right now, and it happens that I could potentially run out of track pieces before the game ends. Does anyone know what this ends up meaning to my turn from that point on? Do I still just move the passenger and not place track?

We can't seem to find anything in the rules that addresses this.

If you run out of track you can place, then you just pick up branch tokens. I'll add a note to the FAQ on http://www.on-the-underground.com/

This is most likely to arise (in normal play) in the four player game. If I remember the mathematics correctly, you'd need four express stations to come up at once at three occasions during the game. In this case, everyone would have a round in which they were one track lay short (unless they'd previously taken a branch token and so got an 'extra' length of track).

If four express stations to came up at once seven times, then the problem's more serious, as there's an entire round in which noone can place anything. However, this is vanishingly unlikely, and is still fair between players, so I decided to leave things as they were.

It can also occur if you manage to get one of your lines blocked off and so cannot extend it. That's why there's the note of advice in the rules suggesting that people generally start within the centre of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC C.
United States
Seattle
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying! Sounds like we were on the right track with our reasoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
battlepuppy wrote:
I guess that means you lay no more track...!

I've played this a few times and never been in that situation.

My first 2 player game resulted in this. This is quite possibly due to the fact that we were neck and neck! We spent the last few turns just moving passengers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.