Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My general rule of thumb is that I only write a review for a game if there are no other reviews available. Imagine my shock and surprise that nobody had bothered to phone in a review of this gem!

I will admit that this review is based on just a single play, but I feel I have enough of a feel for the game without missing much nuance.

Components:

Scene it Marvel edition comes with the following things:

A game board: The board is essentially just a long track of spaces in a somewhat circular shape (like a DVD fancy!) It was of good enough quality. The clever bit of the board is that it could be folded up into two configurations, a normal fully open set up, or if you prefer you can fold part of the board under for a short (read: Merciful) game.

Pawns: The pawns are nice quality. Made of metal with nice molds. My only complaint here is that they are of rather Generic things like, “the X-men logo”, “Thors Helmut”, and “Ghost Riders flaming skull”. This robs the players of even the small pleasure of making a miniature wolverine fight with a tiny Doc Oc.

Box of Question Cards: A small box of question cards, probably about half the size of a trival pursuit card box. Three questions on each card.

Buzz cards: A pile of round cards that do good or bad things to you. These range from the astoundingly original, “Get goo on your jacket and move back one space, and then move back another space to take a shower.” to the innovative, “Get an inheritance, move forward two spaces”.

DVD: The key to the game I suppose, A DVD with a pile of questions, movie clips and other stuff on it. The production quality on the DVD was good, they didn’t skimp here.

Dice: Two high quality dice, one a simple six sider with the numbers 1-6 on it, and a 10 sider with the different question categories on it.

The price from a short net search puts it at about 35 bucks. I would say the production value is in line with that price

Gameplay:

Having never played another Scene it I cannot verify this, but I imagine this game plays like every other version of Scene it. Others who had played over versions of the game seemed to know what was going on with very little prodding from the cheesey announcer.

The game is pretty standard, roll two dice, one die tells you how far to move, another tells you what kind of question you are going to try to answer. The nice thing is that every time you have a turn you roll the move die, so the game pushes you toward the end. It is like the game itself wants you to end it.

The questions come in several flavors:

The questions draw both from the comics and from the movies based on the comics, so you need to be a well rounded true believer to do well.

Answer a question from a card. Three of the dice faces have this kind of result. They all had action packed kinds of names, but I couldn’t identify much of a difference between one kind of question from another. The questions were tough. I am a bit of a comics nerd, I admit that I was a DC kid growing up, but I know some stuff about Marvel as well. There were probably about 2-3 other comic nerds in the room too and lots of questions were missed. There were 7 other people in the room who had no knowledge of comic beyond having seen some of the movies. They didn’t get any of the questions right.

An example question went something like this, “What hero’s powers are immunity to natural venoms, shooting bioplasmic poison bolts and pheromones to beguile men?”

This sounds mostly like Poison Ivy to me, minus the biovenom stuff, but she is ruled out from being from the wrong company. Everyone stared kind of blankly and eventually the answer was read.

Spider Woman.

I have no clue who spider woman is, maybe she is from the more recent runs, but nobody in the room had ever heard of her.

Perhaps there was an issue with the card distribution in the question box, but the next question that was asked, the answer was again Spider woman. This happened another time in the game, where one question listed Apokolipe’s powers and asked who the villain was, and the next question listed Apokolipse’s origins and asked who he was. This seemed rather weak.

I classify trivia questions by layers. A layer 1 question is something that a layman could be expected to know, “What are the primary colors?” “Who wrote Romeo and Juliet?” that sort of thing. Layer 2 questions require a little bit of knowledge in the subject but enough that a casual fan or interested person might still get it. “Who directed Vertigo and Rear window?” or “What element is Graphite made out of?” Layer 3 questions require a bit of study or an excellent memory, “What years was Teddy Roosevelt president?” or “Name Ranma Saotome’s Mother.” Layer 4 questions are basically unknowable unless you have specialized knowledge. “Who was the MVP of the 1984 World Series and what was his batting average?” or “What is the first known written work of literature in Chinese?”

The Marvel Scene it questions lingered around layer 2-3. Hard enough a non fan won’t get anything but challenging enough to satisfy a comics fan without it being a cake walk.

All Plays: The all play category offered the only opportunity for player interactions. Basically a video clip plays or a puzzle is presented and the first player to answer a question based on the clip, or answer the puzzle wins. If it was your turn you go again, if it wasn’t your turn you move forward one space. The puzzles were pretty doable, wheel of fortune style fill in the blank things Or they show you the silhouette of a comic character and you have to guess who it is.

My plays: These questions are more likely to show a video clip and then ask a question about it. Sometimes the question has to do with the clip, other times not so much. For example one clip showed Spiderman fighting Doc Oc and then it asked, “What metal are Doc Oc’s arms made out of?”

Buzz: This result means that you have to pick up a ‘buzz’ card, which can be good, can be bad, and generally are pretty stupid. They throw in terribly written flavor text and they generally amount to move forward, or move back. There are apparently other things in there as well, but I didn’t see any in the game we played. A buzz card also ends your turn.

Eventually you reach the end of the game track and you have to answer a final all play. If you get it right you win instantly, if anyone else does you have to go onto another track. This track has a 3,2, and 1 space on it. On the 3 space you have to answer 3 questions in a row to win, on the 2 space you have to answer 2 in a row, this is to give the other players a chance to catch up.

People seem to complain about the Scene It series as they are just simple roll and move games. I don’t think this is a bad thing for what the game is, you are supposed to be sitting around answering trivia not scheming moves on the game board. If people wanted to do that they would play Caylus. It would be nice if they choose another method or scoring other than the candyland method, but it is workable. The roll and move doesn’t add anything to the game but it doesn’t detract much from it either.

Summary:

I would say that for a marvel fan, who has several friends who are marvel fans this could be a pretty entertaining game. For a fan of only the movies I would say this game would be tough as many of the questions were based on the comics. For a casual comic movies fan this game is poison, and for a normal person, this game would be an hour of pained boredom hopefully ended quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: True believers! Be mildly interested! EVeryone else! Avo
You weren't aware of Spider-Woman and you call yourself a comic fan?

Just kidding. (Although I knew it right away, but I'm cool like that.)

Nice review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I was wondering if the game drew from the comics, and it's good to know it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Veit
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: True believers! Be mildly interested! EVeryone else! Avo
Got the game today as everyone in our family are Marvel geeks and our 8 yr old won it all in a tight 4 way race to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.