Subject: Question about the Market rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My manual page eight says that "During the trader phase, if the owner of a market satnd sells at least 2 goods...It matters not whether he is the trader or not."

I thought you had to be the trader to sell two goods (cards). Does this card presume other cards to be able to take advantage of it, since I can only (I thought) sell one good if a non-trader? The trader role could take advantage of this card everytime. I think.

The good sold is that single card I put on top of the production building in the producer phase, right? And then I take that "hidden" card and put it on the discard and get the amount of cards back from the tile; so if I took that card off an the price on the tile was 2, even though I only put one card on the discard, I get two back, making a "profit?"

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Market Stand is not a great card. If you don't have any other cards that allow you to sell more than one good you only benefit if you take the role. Even in that case you must have two goods to sell. If you do then you get 1 extra card.

Market stand combines with some other cards to give greater benefit, but it's very rarely worthwhile. I consider it one of the weakest cards in the deck. I never buy it unless I'm playing a speed hand (and even then only if there isn't any better cheap card to build).

Market Hall on the other hand is often a good investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
This building is most useful when combined with the Trading House, which allows you to sell an extra good (even if you aren't the person who took the Trader.)

There are four cards that belong in a group:

Aqueduct: Allows you to produce an extra good
Well: Gives you a card if you produce two goods
Trading House: Allows you to sell an extra good
Market Stand: Gives you a card if you sell two goods

In theory, these would all go well together, but in practice you don't see them all together often. One problem is that three of them cost 2, but are worth only 1 VP each. My favorite of the four is the Aqueduct, partly for the extra VP and partly because it goes well with the Black Market as well as with these cards.

Note that the Market Hall is like a "souped up" Market Stand, but there's no corresponding "souped up" Well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about those cards is that it gives you more freedom in role selection. You don't NEED the producer as bad if you're going to produce 2 when someone else chooses it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.