Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's start with the good parts of this game:

1) The component are fairly attractive (tho not great).
2) It's based on a wonderful childrens' story.
3) It's simple enough for a 4 year old to play. (They say 3 and up, If your 3 year old has learned to count to 4 consistently they can play this).
4) It helps small children practice taking turns and counting numbers between 1 and 4.

Sadly that's it for the good news. Here's some of the weaknesses:

The components are fairly cheaply constructed (the spinner broke within the first 24 hours after Christmas, with kids who are not terribly hard on their toys).
There is no choice or decision making in the game at all.
Bad things happen to good kids for no reason.
The same thing happens over and over again (boring even for a 4 year old).

Here's how it works. Each player in turn spins the spinner. If they get a sun with a number on it, they go that number of spaces. If they hit a moon, they don't get to move. (Fortunately there are 4 suns (numbered 1 to 4) and only one sun). Eventually they will encounter the six special spaces on the board. Two of those spaces require you to spin a sun to move on (hum, kind of like the regular spaces). One of those spaces requires you to spin a moon to move on (which can take forever). The other three require you to fill up your little basket (which is not quite big enough) with some kind of food items. These food items are gathered by, you guessed it! spinning the spinner and picking up 1-4 food items if you spin a sun or nothing if you get a moon.

In general I'm not a basher of children's games, but this game seems to offer very little even to the small children it's aimed at. I would recommend Candyland instead, it has more to hold the child's interest and less bad things happen. Better yet get Gulo Gulo or Chicken Cha Cha Cha the pieces are nicer and the games are better designed.

For children under 5 I rate this a 5. As a general rating I give it a 4. There is absolutely no game here for 6+ so I won't even rate it for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man. Seconded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.