Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm very interested in this game. I'll probably play it with my group, which goes from 3 to 5 players. That said, I'd like someone more experienced to advice on what to buy.

Should I go for the first edition, or straight for second? Should I buy all the expansion armies? Some? Or is there enough game in the box as it is?

Shipping to my country can be somewhat expensive, so I'd really like to buy all I need in one fell swoop. Please advice.

Thanks.

Antonio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
IIRC Chris Farrell has a suggested list of initial armies and maps for the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
According to the Columbia Games website, First Edition maps and blocks will be compatible with Second Edition. Since Columbia is currently selling 1st Ed. stuff at very good prices, I bought everything I could for cheap in December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, none of us really know whether 2nd edition will be better than 1st. There are two issues to look at: collectability and compatability.

1) 2nd edition is collectable. The random assortment of blocks in expansion packs may work fine, or it might wind up unbalancing the armies. We don't know yet. More important is the question of how much you want to spend. We're not sure about the ceiling for varied armies, but my experience with other collectable games tells me you'd probably want a sizable number of "boosters."

2) Compatability. This, to me, is a major issue. I think if you're going into 2nd edition you can skip 1st edition armies. The problem lies in the switch from Ferkin to Feudals in 2nd edition. After meshing 1st and 2nd edition that means you'll likely wind up with a relatively tiny Feudal army and/or an un-enhanced Ferkin army.

So I'd recommend one of two things:
1) Pick an edition and go with that one. 1st edition works well, though arguments over the best rules mean you'll probably want to try both 1.5 and 1.6 and see which one you like. 2nd edition may well get away from all that with the new blocks - we don't know. Plus 2nd edition seems like it'll handle player counts over 2 better than 1st edition and its scenarios has.

2) Wait and see how 2nd edition turns out before buying. We're not sure if 2nd edion is better or worse, or even how expensive it'll really turn out to be. Honestly, this would be the choice I'd recommend, except that I want someone to buy it and report back to the rest of us.

---

Now, if you intend to go into first edition, the level of involvement goes roughly as follows:

1) Base set (don't know how to get it, but the various components may be available separately).

2) Extra maps and armies, probably 2 of each if you want to keep things relatively limited on the expense front. Good armies to add variation from the base set include the Undead, Barbarians, and Dwarves. The Amazons and Ferkin aren't as different and aren't strictly necessary IMO. As for the maps, they're all good.

3) Filling it out. You can still take or leave the Amazons and Ferkin if you want, but I would strongly recommend getting all of the expansion maps. They really improve replay value and scenario diversity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo the thought of waiting for 2nd edition to come out.

But here is an article I wrote about starting off "on a budget":

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/58481

Along with some of the better scenarios referenced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answer's. I'll probably hold for the second edition, as I'm mainly looking for something that works well with 3-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.