Putting on the ritz!
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Now don't inhale until the tip glows...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a rules question that I think the rulebook explains adequately, but I thought I'd confirm with the experts here anyway.

However, at the top of page 16 "You cannot combine specialization and big mines".

I assume the rule at page 16 quote above means that you can't build a new mine/mine shaft that cumulates the effect of specialization to populate the mine with 12 iron and 8 gold / 8 gold and 9 iron. That is, when a player has researched both mine technology advances and they come to build a new mine/shaft they add to the mine bag:
3 iron AND 3 gold (basic); OR
4 iron OR 4 gold (specialized); OR
5 iron AND 5 gold (big).

Someone I recently played the game with interpreted the rule as meaning that when a mine is first built it is designated as ordinary, specialized or big any new shaft added to the mine had to be the same as the original designation. There doesn't seem to be any means to designate mine bags in this way. Futhermore, at page 13 regarding mine shafts it states "Instead of three gold and three iron, you can add four of one kind or five of both.", inferring that mine shaft additions are not bound by the technology used to initially build the mine.

Am I correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ndru wrote:
I assume the rule at page 16 quote above means that you can't build a new mine/mine shaft that cumulates the effect of specialization to populate the mine with 12 iron and 8 gold / 8 gold and 9 iron. That is, when a player has researched both mine technology advances and they come to build a new mine/shaft they add to the mine bag:
3 iron AND 3 gold (basic); OR
4 iron OR 4 gold (specialized); OR
5 iron AND 5 gold (big).

This is correct (I corrected your big mine typo). You designate what kind of mine you're making at the time that you put chits in the plastic bag. Every time you put chits in the plastic bag, it is your option as to which type of mine to choose, from among those you've researched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Putting on the ritz!
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Now don't inhale until the tip glows...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation, Jeremiah, and thanks for picking up the typo! I've edited my original post to what I meant to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.