Subject: Speculation on Release Waves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's occurred to me that, since they don't have to create the characters as they go, Hasbro can release expansion waves in a more-organized manner. What I mean by this, is as follows:
As Heroscape is going right now, an expansion wave may include a handful of kyrie warriors, some ninja, a Wild West guy, and, oh, here are some orcs and a robot. Rather scrambled and, ah, eclectic, no? Not that I'm complaining! And to be fair, this most recent release (Dawn of Darkness) is very thematic, and may be the new direction they're going. Too soon to tell.

Pros to the "diversified" method: Marketing-wise, this is smart. Someone who wants the Soulborgs will have to take the Greeks as well, etc., ensuring that certain package sells to more fans. It also serves to spice up the game when new waves come out, from a player point of view. With a diversity of figure-types, you can't guarantee that your opponent will use his new, say, samurai, and you'll be wanting to draft some ranged attackers.

Cons to the "diversified" method: From a consumer's standpoint, when the marketing team succeeds, you lose. Primary example being, if you want the Anubian Wolves, you have to get the 4th Massachusett's Line.....

Now, this post is under Marvel Legends Heroscape, so I'll get to the point. Do we want to see the continuation of these diversified waves, or releases with related characters? If the latter, what would be some good releases? A couple I can think of would be

X-Men vs. Brotherhood
Alpha Flight (hate them, personally, but I acknowledge the fan base)
Infinity Watch
Spider-Man (I know Spidey and Venom are accounted for, but Carnage, Doc Oc, the various Goblins, and so on, would be very important additions)

One thing I'm kind of dreading we'll see is more releases like the standard bearers, of very iconic characters or arch-rivals having their own box with one or two figures, special dice, maybe a few terrain tiles, and costing as much as a normal package. I can completely see that happening with, say, Professor X vs. Magneto, Wolverine vs. Omega Red, and such.

Please list your thoughts, or I'm going to be embarrassed when my first post fails miserably...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Funke
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I get the feeling that we won't be seeing and waves if the initial set doesn't do well enough.

That said, here's who I'd like to see.

1) X-Men. I've been a fan forever so it would be cool to see them and I'm sure they're popularity will push them to the forefront of any imaginary waves that may be released. I'd go with the Claremon/Byrne lineup to start with the Lee/Kirby to follow. Imagine all the fun you could have with Nightcrawler's teleportation power or Kitty Pryde's phasing power.

2) Spidey Villains - Doc Ock, Sandman, Kraven, Mysterio, Hydroman, Green Goblin, and The Scorpion.

3) Marvel Knights - Power Man and Iron Fist, Cloak and Dagger, and Daredevil.

4) Young Avengers

5) Runaways

6) The Fantastic Four - Mr. Fantastic, The Invisible Woman, The Thing, The Human Torch, She-Hulk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's what I expect to see released in subsequent expansions.

1) X-Men- there's no way they won't come out with the X-Men unless the initial sales completely tank
2) Popular Spidey villains- Green Goblin, Kingpin, Doctor Octopus, etc.
3) Fantastic Four- for the same reason as the X-Men
3) Popular solo characters- Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, Thor

Here are some others I'd like to see, but don't necessarily expect.

1) The Avengers- yeah, all of 'em, West Coast too
2) Deadpool
3) less popular X-Men characters like Gambit, Colossus, and Night Crawler (I have to agree with the previous comment that his power would be extremely useful)
4) the Lizard- for a good friend who's obsessed
5) New Warriors- wishful thinking since the team is defunct
6) Blade
7) Galactus

I can't wait for the initial set to come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, Ghost Rider and Deadpool would be interesting to play. Longshot, too, would be an easy and fun character to be added. Hadn't even considered Blade! Actually, if I paint a little hair on Agent Carr....

If they decide to release Gambit, and they'd better, he'll be in my team every time. I imagine his kinetic card power would be like the various blast ranged attacks; I don't see how they could make a different style of the same effect.

Galactus, I doubt, I'm sorry to say. Either too big for the dang map, or too small for scale! No one happy I'd love Sentinels, but doubt them too for the same reasons. Nimrod, though, would be a good mega-character, but probably too unpopular to release.

If BGG is any indication on this game's coming popularity levels, chances of it tanking should be minimal. I hope? *gulps and crosses fingers*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether or not it flops may end up having a lot to do with the initial selection of heroes/villains. Not sure why they didn't open with the X-Men considering they are better known to the many people who don't read comics (mostly due to the movies of course). This may have made prospective sales a little stronger. eg. My nephew knows the X-Men and Spidey, but wouldn't have a clue who Captain America or Iron Man are. In his case it's a safe bet because I'd have to buy it just for Spidey. Anyway I'm not a marketing guru, and I'm sure Hasbro would have far more of an idea as to what they should be doing than I would.

Further thought: It might have been a decision based on them wanting to release a low number of initial miniatures and yet still be able to mix the figures up and provide a reasonable number of scenarios. If all the heroes were made up of the X-Men I guess the game would get stale real fast. I still think 10 figures sounds a bit light compared to the original Heroscape master set though.

Having said all of this, I'll definitely be buying though - this should scratch (as long as they haven't messed it up) the itch that Marvel Heroes (Fantasy Flight) does not. Plus give me the opportunity to introduce more comic heroes to my nephew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FerretOfTindalos wrote:
Galactus, I doubt, I'm sorry to say. Either too big for the dang map, or too small for scale! No one happy I'd love Sentinels, but doubt them too for the same reasons. Nimrod, though, would be a good mega-character, but probably too unpopular to release.

I have to agree with Galactus being too big in giving it more thought. They could make a much smaller one, and give him slightly more power than the Silver Surfer (whose stats along with Thanos' are the most likely to be off), but he really wouldn't be a good choice. Alas.

I agree that Nimrod would be an excellent choice for a large character. The Sentinels should also be doable (even if they need to be huge 12). From Wikipedia, "Several types of Sentinels have appeared through the years, manufactured by various private and paramilitary groups, but the typical Sentinel is three-stories tall, possesses the ability to fly, project energy blasts and detect mutants."

Quote:
Longshot, too, would be an easy and fun character to be added.

He's extremely easy to add. If they don't include him I'll probably make my own. His ability could enable him to reroll all blanks until they either come up with an attack or a shield, or at the very least he could have the option to reroll one die for each attack or defense phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hatonastick wrote:
Whether or not it flops may end up having a lot to do with the initial selection of heroes/villains. Not sure why they didn't open with the X-Men considering they are better known to the many people who don't read comics (mostly due to the movies of course). This may have made prospective sales a little stronger. eg. My nephew knows the X-Men and Spidey, but wouldn't have a clue who Captain America or Iron Man are. In his case it's a safe bet because I'd have to buy it just for Spidey. Anyway I'm not a marketing guru, and I'm sure Hasbro would have far more of an idea as to what they should be doing than I would.

He doesn't know who Iron Man is? What are you teaching him? The only member of the X-Men that I'm surprised wasn't included was Wolverine (his regenerative ability would be a lot of fun). I think this selection will pull in at least as many Marvel comics fans as the X-Men would alone. After all, Spider-Man and Hulk are still popular with kids.

Quote:
Further thought: It might have been a decision based on them wanting to release a low number of initial miniatures and yet still be able to mix the figures up and provide a reasonable number of scenarios. If all the heroes were made up of the X-Men I guess the game would get stale real fast. I still think 10 figures sounds a bit light compared to the original Heroscape master set though.

I agree with each of these points.

Quote:
Having said all of this, I'll definitely be buying though - this should scratch (as long as they haven't messed it up) the itch that Marvel Heroes (Fantasy Flight) does not. Plus give me the opportunity to introduce more comic heroes to my nephew.

I really hope they do a good job with the stats. The figures look good. I can easily mix in some standard HS terrain. This game has great potential.

Not that I'm as much of a DC fan, but it would also be cool if they get the rights to their characters too. I've always wanted to pit Hulk up against Superman, and Captain America vs. Batman would be a good fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the characters will be mixed up in each expansion pack. That way Hasbro won't have a bunch of Nikita-like blister packs gathering dust because no one wants Dr. Strange and his rogue's gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
I believe the characters will be mixed up in each expansion pack. That way Hasbro won't have a bunch of Nikita-like blister packs gathering dust because no one wants Dr. Strange and his rogue's gallery.

Or the Morlocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*sniff* But....I like Dr. Strange....
And I will have him banish any HS vampires from Valhalla for all time!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Peters-Campbell
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from the info I have seen, I was sort of imagining waves of blisters that consist of one of the big comic lines...hero group + enemies. So for instance:

a wave of four X-Men/Brotherhood boosters, with each containing one or two X-Men and one or two Brotherhood guys.

a wave of Marvel Knights, with blisters containing something like Daredevil, Kingpin, and another pairing.

a wave of FF containing one or two of the FF through the years along with one or two of their enemies.

a wave of Avengers and their enemies to round out what's in the base set.

A wave of Ultimates? *drool*/*boioioioioing*

The Runaways idea is awesome too. I would love to see them come out, though they might be a little bit "niche" for the average Marvel fan?

A Supreme Power wave would be SWEET, even if it isn't technically in the mainline Marvel universe.

Now if only they could include non-Marvel properties...a Sleeper wave! a Planetary wave! A "The Boys" wave! For the love of God, someone find me an Astro City wave! *grin*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason J.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I'd really lik e to see a Sheild and Nick fury set,
A mutant set including gambit,
A set of Heroes, like: War machine, U.S Agent,Dr. Strange, ....

And a Galactacus pack... (Imagine Galactus with his lumbering size of Massive 50)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason J.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
ejcarter wrote:

Dr. Strange owns your soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If there was a an Alpha Flight (Puck would be a blast! and we could put Wolverine where he belongs) team I'd buy it solely for that.

Other's I'd like to see:

Darkhawk (kind of a soft spot for this character that went nowhere)
Defenders of the Universe (Cap'n Britain)
The Beyonder (for those who remember Secret Wars)
Hawkeye (and the whole West Coast Avengers)
GI JOE (ok, maybe pushing it here but could be excellent)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Schrader
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

BIG yes on Darkhawk (guess I share that soft spot). What a great sculpt they could do for him!
That's the sort of character I'm hoping for, one of the non-central but unique guys. Like...I donno...The Mandarin, Wendigo, Black Tom, and such.

I'd be pretty happy if they stayed away from G.I. Joe and such. That would probably tempt them to throw in Transformers, and then Star Wars, and everything would just rot and collapse on itself I say, field Sgt. Drake as Duke, if you must. If only G.I. Joe had its own line of toys... Oh. Wait.
If you want your G.I. Joe fix, though: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/1435-gi-joe-dics-ve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
FerretOfTindalos wrote:
David,

BIG yes on Darkhawk (guess I share that soft spot). What a great sculpt they could do for him!
That's the sort of character I'm hoping for, one of the non-central but unique guys. Like...I donno...The Mandarin, Wendigo, Black Tom, and such.

I'd be pretty happy if they stayed away from G.I. Joe and such. That would probably tempt them to throw in Transformers, and then Star Wars, and everything would just rot and collapse on itself I say, field Sgt. Drake as Duke, if you must. If only G.I. Joe had its own line of toys... Oh. Wait.
If you want your G.I. Joe fix, though: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/1435-gi-joe-dics-ve...

Glad someone shares the love for Darkhawk! I hear you on the GI Joe front. It wouldn't make much sense. I guess I was a HUGE fan of the early comics but they aren't really part of the Marvel Universe. But what if Cobra Commander was in charge of the Brotherhood? Well, he'd probably screw up badly but anyways... eheheh...

I was also going to mention Wendigo but I think they'll frown on his craving for human flesh. (I love the Mcfarlane Spiderman comics where he was featured.)

Here's one more for fun... Sleepwalker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ammon Livingston
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Here's one more for fun... Sleepwalker.

Well, if they have Sleepwalker, of course they need to add Moon Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Fin-Fang-Foom, the dragon seen in the 1960's? That way he could be in the Marvelscape AND Heroscape as a dragon! Oh man, would that be a cool cross-over!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You know.. all this great speculation and we're going to end up with the same characters that are featured in Marvel Heroes.

For me personally I'd rather see them include some classics and then really go off the beaten path so that we end up with characters that are never used. (granted Heroclix did a decent job but well... they also did a very bad job (the opinion expressed is entirely of this author)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason J.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
volnon wrote:
How about Fin-Fang-Foom, the dragon seen in the 1960's? That way he could be in the Marvelscape AND Heroscape as a dragon! Oh man, would that be a cool cross-over!

Dude ive seen him in a newish comic (most likely 1998 but possibly 199X to 2002 i think)

Fin-Fang-Foom would own! Another Iron Man villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Funke
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fin Fang Foom appeared in the first issue of Nextwave which came out just last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a REAL super heroine...

DAZZLER!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Super-Skrull and Beast can be seen on the map in the photo of the designers I just posted. The photo is the illustration for Colby's Heroscapers.com podcast. I suggest you breeze on over there and check out the interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.