Houdini» Forums » General

Subject: New Design in Progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
We've opened a folder for HOUDINI, a Euro-style game now being playtested by a horde of BGGers. Hopefully, as testing progresses they will post their views, questions, game reports, suggestions, etc. We hope that this fodler gives BBFGers an saopportunity to see how a new design travels from creation through playtesting to, hopefully, publish-ready form.

Any non-testers wishing to add questions, comments, please feel free to do so.

We have posted a few of the marvelous images playtester "Antonio" whipped up for us, revealing either a wonderful treasure trove in pictures from this era/subject, or the ability to Googlize with the best of them.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Some commentary from one of the gamers doing early playtesting for HOUDINI:

"Played it with eurogamers (first time was with two wargamer buddies) one person described it as "Knizia with a good strong theme" which is a compliment as the person is a big Knizia fan. I swear half the talk at the table was about the artwork the game needed as again folks last night seemed to really enjoy the theme."

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, put me in contact with your developer (or email me at the usual address), I'd love to get involved with testing this one...

Lord "Artwork for Big Apple and then an abortive start on Conquistador II art" Bobbio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Loks like it will be cool. It is a great theme, especially with recent magic films out (prestige etc..), plus I always love richard's stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
LordBobbio wrote:
Richard, put me in contact with your developer (or email me at the usual address), I'd love to get involved with testing this one...

Lord "Artwork for Big Apple and then an abortive start on Conquistador II art" Bobbio

Great work for BIG APPLE . . .which has not gotten lost; just gettign everythign together for submission to possible publishers. And CONQUISTADOR is still alive, just "on sabbatical", while we do some re-tooling of the rules. However, as for contributing to HOUDINI, one of the playtesters has done a great job supplying us with all the visuals we need (for now), mostly through a large "supply" of era photographs and posters (as you can see from the pics attached to the folder).

"Loks like it will be cool. It is a great theme, especially with recent magic films out (prestige etc..)

"The Prestige" was one of the most enjoyable books I read in the last 20 years . . . alas, i missed seeing the movie. There is also a novel, of about 10 years ago, i think, entitled "Carter Beats the Devil", in which Carter the Great is "the hero', Houdini pops up (along with some truly amazing historical people), and it uses the famous poster (which we have used in HOUDINI) as the book cover.

As for how HOUDINI is progressing game-wise, so far, so good . . . we've pared it down close to one hour, the "system" and mechanics seem to work well, we've just got a new "board" (from one of the testers0 that will help the game, ergonmoically . . . and now we're working on making sure it's Fun and Interesting to play. So far, lookin' good.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All quite excellent news. I'm interested in conducting play testing as well if there is a need for more groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
LordBobbio wrote:
All quite excellent news. I'm interested in conducting play testing as well if there is a need for more groups.

Probably when we feel we have the game working as we want it to - right now I[m morphing it fromk a six-sided die to a ten-sider . . . better range of results - we'd then go to some new groups for final work.

I was hoping to see some of the playtesters dropping comments on how they're doing, and how HOUDINI is going, in this folder . . . but they seem shy.

RHB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.