Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Storch
Wales
Llanelli
Sir Gaerfyrddin, Cymru
flag msg tools
mb
Having read the reviews it seems playing with 5 is ideal. Unfortunately, out family group mainly plays with 4 and with 5+ less often. The sheriff is hard pressed to win the game when playing with 4 apparently, is this enough of a reason not to purchase the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of the games we play are 4 player, and while the game definately works better with more, it certainly is playable with only 4. That said, you're right in your comments about the sherrif having a hard time with only 4 players.

The other thing to bear in mind is some of the cards become useless with only 4 players, and the "longer range" weapons become obselete.

I'd still recommend it, but with the proviso that there are other games better suited to 4 than this one, and if you're unlikely to ever get more than the minimum number of players, you'll be missing out on the better aspects of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't think that with 4 players the game can be fun, because the funniest part ( for me ) is the " fog of war " effect of the roles, and with only 1 role fixed ( the sheriff ) and only 3 secret roles, that ain't funny at all!!
Good from 5 to 7, my 2 cents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it with 4 players plenty, but the game really shines with 5 or more. I do not recommend it for 3 players.

If you do not see yourself having five players much, then I don't recommend this. Not that it is bad with 4 players, but there are some really good 4-player games out there besides this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played more games of 4 then not and still enjoyed them all. It is a fun game with 4 and an even more fun game with 5+. Either way it is fun.

The comments above are right in that some cards are not as handy with 4 players such as the Buzzard character or any other character whos power is based on a player dying but that is why you give people the choice of two characters to pick from. Also you could always take them out when playing with 4.

If your family doesn't mind shooting each other up western style then I would hardily recomend bang. Expect it to take a few games for them to learn as what to do is pretty easy to learn but all the little icons and such to present some confusion especially the pull and push horses.

I disagree that the fog of war thing does not apply to the 4 player. Sure you have no deputy but you do want to figure out who the renegade is as best you can and in the 4 player you end up scrutinizing the 3 others more heavily and they often in turn are more careful in their actions. So I find in the 4 player people make more interesting choices.

If you or your family find bang! to be a bit too mean spirited (which mine did not) then another fun game that scales well with the amount your mentioned is Bohnanzawhich is not a "take that" game and has no direct way in which you can hurt a player. You can only not help them.

Summation 4-9 folks Bang! is money well spent in my book and has brought a lot of fun to a number of tables I have been at (a couple of counters too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mostly played this game with four... but not anymore. Honestly, my opinion would be you shouldn't buy Bang! unless you plan to play with 5+. Of course, most people seem to disagree with me, so now you're still left to your own decision making!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy it for 4 players. Range is a huge factor in the game which is only relevant with a larger number of players. And the hidden role selection is better with more. 5 is a minimum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to agree with the comments here. Bang! is one of my favorite games, but that is based on 5, 7 or 8 players (8 only possible with expansion)

The fog of war effect does apply with four players, but only sleightly. As soon as the guy sitting opposed to the sheriff has a gun you can expect both outlaws to go all out on the sheriff. They now both know their partner can hit the sheriff and they still win if one of them dies. This takes away a lot of the guessing. A crucial element of Bang!

I would not buy this game for 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.